XPEnology Community

Noob Xpenology project NAS transcoding 4K HDR I3 8100

slysword77

Good morning all,

After my research and tests on my current machine via VmWare for the virtualization of a successful DS918 with the latest update, and plex on windows 10.

c01zwt-6.png

My project aims to achieve a high-performance and scalable NAS over time, which can ensure:

- Minimum 2 4K HDR transcoding simultaneously on the local network.
- Network storage space for the whole family.
- virtualization tool as part of my system administrator training.

Total of the order 630 €

Hardware:
CPU: Intel core I3 9100F ==> I3 8100
CM: Asus prime B365M-K
RAM: DDR4 G. Skill Aegis, 8 GB (2 x 4 GB), 2400 MHz, CAS 15
HDD: To begin with RAID 5 of 3 Seagate IronWolf Pro disks, 2 TB.
Case: I fell for this one: Fractal Design Node 804, Black

I already have a LEPA 450watt power supply.

The ratio: price / performance / energy is consistent compared to what synology offers because a DS918 is 600 € without hard drives.

I would like to know which Xpenology will be the best performing and the most compatible for my project?

- DS918 +
- DS3617XS

Edit : Modification of the title of the topic following the discussion, passage from I9100F to I3 8100

Edited by slysword77

If you want hardware transcoding you shouldn't pick an F serie of intel CPU. Cause it's lack of GPU unit. So, no Quick sync, no hw transcoding. F series i3 is (I think) not capable of transcoding 2 4k streams, especialy 10 bit hevc. So pick at least "norma" i3 eight gen and yo can stream many streams simultaneosly.

P.S.

My spellchecker is bnot working, sorry

il y a 17 minutes, smilenkovski a dit :

If you want hardware transcoding you shouldn't pick an F serie of intel CPU. Cause it's lack of GPU unit. So, no Quick sync, no hw transcoding. F series i3 is (I think) not capable of transcoding 2 4k streams, especialy 10 bit hevc. So pick at least "norma" i3 eight gen and yo can stream many streams simultaneosly.

P.S.

My spellchecker is bnot working, sorry

Sorry my english translation google :

Hello :)

during my tests via VMware and under windows 10 with plex, I could observe with my monitoring tools that transcoding does not use my physical GPU but only the CPU. This is why I opted for the I3 9100F

Besides, the I3 9100F is more efficient than the I3 8000.

It was also my reflection to know if there was an IGP answer that I could not find on the web, besides the xeon processor do not have an IGP and yet they do transcoding.

I think you should read more topics regarding transcoding before buying anything, because like smilenkovski pointed, the cpu you chose has no GPU and Synology/Xpenology video hardware transcode relies on such integrated Intel GPU. If there's no GPU, then you're using software transcode, which relies on pure cpu horsepower and will use more energy while no ressources will be left for other tasks and you'll get video stutters.
Your VMWare testing is not relevant because hardware transcoding isn't working in virtualized xpenology environment, only baremetal. Some guy had minor success by disabling vt-d but it's a no go when you want to use VM.

So, any low/mid end 7th to actual Intel CPU with integrated GPU will do, and with Video Station / Plex / Jellyfin / Emby hardware transcode, you'll be able to transcode many 4K videos simultaneously with minimum cpu usage. 
We did some tests of video transcoding (topic in french language) and 4 x 4K HEVC video were transcoding fine simultaneously, we could have started far more, even on the tiny J3455 cpu of the DS918+. So, a 9100 will be more than enough but even cheap used 7XXX or 8XXX will do, the GPU part did not evolve a lot since these older generations (mine is a 7500T and works great at transcoding).

Hardware transcode is a DS918+ feature, you won't get it with DS3617XS loader.

Edited by pmchan

To be honest, I'm using a T serie cpu for my xpenology(7500T), but many reviewers compared those low power editions cpu with "regular" ones and didn't notice any significant power consumption differences. It doesn't mean those are not interesting cpus, only it drains mostly the same amount of energy than other non "T" series :(

Edited by pmchan

6 hours ago, slysword77 said:

It was also my reflection to know if there was an IGP answer that I could not find on the web, besides the xeon processor do not have an IGP and yet they do transcoding.

All XEON cpu's ending on  5 have a build ing iGPU. I own two E3-1275v5 with Intel HD Graphic P530 iGPU.

Under stress, T version are more likey to throttle due to exceeding their allowed power limit. They are allowed to pass the limit during burst, but will eventualy throttle down.

If I would build my systems new today, I would probably opt at least for a i5-8400, which are way cheaper than my Xeon's but close to their performance. Also the v5 Xeons are "only" 6th gen core cpus.