XPEnology Community

First Time install - No HDD Detected

StandardToast

Hey,

I have performed a first time install on customer hardware. I used the mod that jun made and it works fine. I first tried to use the DS918 but that did not work likely due to my older hardware. Based off this post I also tried using the DS3617 and DS3615 - These both work up until the step of installing the .pat file. I can successfully get to find.synology.com and click on install for the DS3617 or DS3615 but it then says "No Hard Disk Found on DS3617xs" or "No Hard Disk Found on DS3615xs" respectively. I am also able to see the diskstation show up in the downloaded Synology Assistant software but when installing it wants a version newer than 23xxx and doesnt accept the 15284 version that I found in the install guide.

I have confirmed all my drives work and tried in a number of combinations - all 6 drives in 2 drives 4 drives 1 drive etc.  No luck. Can you please recommend any other troubleshooting steps? My hardware specs are below

SuperMicro X8DAH+-F Motherboard

Dual Xeon X5687 x2 quad  core

32gb ECC Ram (16 gb each 2x8gb sticks)

3 2tb hitatchi drives

3 1tb WD drives

I have tried a combo of just 2tb or just 1tb drives and it still was not working.

Thanks for any help

Hi @bearcat thanks somehow this wasnt set and is now booting up however I still run into issues. When loading up I am not able to find it on the network but 9/10 times it shows as "Migratable" status and not install. Once I had it as install and the install failed with error 23 saying corrupt file. I have confirmed the pat file is not corrupted and it seems to still have issues installing.

I wiped all my internal drives again as well as the destination flash drive and it did not work. I am mainly trying the 1.03 loader and DS3617 and DS3615 both dont work despite me confirming the hardware is compatible with that version.

I have tried multiple flash drives and re making the boot loader and just as this other forum post its not working. Is this an issue with Super Micro boards?

Additionally I have yet to try installing the exta .lzma drivers because I dont understand the instructions. Anytime I make the boot loader and plug it into my windows 10 it cannot read it. One final question is when installing should there be a 2nd empty flash drive as the destination for the boot loader to write to in the computer? This wasnt clear to me in the tutorials.

Error1.PNG

Error2.PNG

5 hours ago, StandardToast said:

Anytime I make the boot loader and plug it into my windows 10 it cannot read it.

since 4-8 weeks that seems to be gone, 2 years windows could read/write both partitions and it changed to only the 2nd but now it ignores both partitions

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/28321-driver-extension-jun-104b-for-dsm623-for-918/

with latest updates of win10 there is no drive letter anymore, its possible to still do it with the tools already used for creating the usb drive, read the usb to a imgae file with "Win32DiskImager 1.0" (activate "read only activated partitions"), mount that image with osfmount (like in the tutorial section), overwrite old /extra/extra2.lzma and write the image back to usb with Win32DiskImager

5 hours ago, StandardToast said:

One final question is when installing should there be a 2nd empty flash drive as the destination for the boot loader to write to in the computer? This wasnt clear to me in the tutorials.

dsm boots from usb flash driver (kernel) and creates two partitions on EVERY disk in the system (1st dsm system, 2nd swap), the partitions are defined as raid1 (over all disks), when adding a disk to a dsm system its called initialization, the raid1 gets extended and only after this step the dsm system can use this disk

the boot loader from usb needs at least one disk to install dsm to it (the *.pat file is istalled to disk)

• Like 1

For the "ease of things", do this:

1 - Create a USB disk, using the correct VID/PID, and a serial + your 2 MAC' adresses, based on Jun's Loader v1.02b - DS3615xs

2 - Manually download DSM_DS3615xs_15284.pat and verify your download.

3 - Prepare a HDD, by deleting any existing partitions on it (from a windows PC, you can use "diskpart /clean".

4 - Connect the "clean" HDD, ,insert the USB and boot. When you (hopefully) get to the install part, manually provide the .pat you downloaded.

5 - When install is done, cross your fingers, reboot your system (with the USB still inserted), and post your outcome... 

(the USB will be need to stay inside, as it will be used to boot from, allways.

DSM wil be installed on ANY hdd in the system, using a system partition, and a swap partition, those will be RAID'ed across all the HDD's)

Edit: if you just want to read the USB stick from Windows, you can use this free tool from DiskInternals

Edited by bearcat
Added a link

This is a very odd issue. Mine is a supermicro Rangeley 8-core Atom board, A1SRi-2758F. It runs 1.02b (DSM6.1.7) perfectly fine. But I can not install 1.03b, the DSM 6.2. 

For some reason, the 1.03b is very different. I have tried many different USB thumb drives, 3 unamed, 1 lexar, 2 kinston, 1 kingaru. no luck. 

I have also tried to install 1.03b on two lenovo thinkstation, no luck, 1 mac mini 2012, no luck. 

All with no issue with 1.02b. 

The reason I think it is USB drive, is when I tried to install 1.02non the mac mini. The unamed USB worked fine. Then I though Ishould use an SD card it does not protrude. The SD card behaved exactly the same as I descrided above, same error message. 

With every change of USB drive, I updated the VID and PID. 

Edited by tigs

4 hours ago, tigs said:

This is a very odd issue. Mine is a supermicro Rangeley 8-core Atom board, A1SRi-2758F. It runs 1.02b (DSM6.1.7) perfectly fine. But I can not install 1.03b, the DSM 6.2. 

For some reason, the 1.03b is very different. I have tried many different USB thumb drives, 3 unamed, 1 lexar, 2 kinston, 1 kingaru. no luck. 

1.03b does not support uefi, check for csm(bios and make sure to use the "non uefi" usb boot drive (there might be shown 2 uefi and one csm/legacy)

btw. what you do is called thread hijacking

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tigs said:

Then I though Ishould use an SD card it does not protrude. The SD card behaved exactly the same as I descrided above, same error message. 

With every change of USB drive, I updated the VID and PID. 

1- as mentioned above, your problem deserves it's own post, as it is unrelated to this post.

2 - the non-described error message, related to your SD-card, might be because you did not use the VID/PID of your SD-Card reader.

Edited by bearcat

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I did not mean to hijack the thread.The reason I jumped in is because OP brought me in and asked me a question under my thread. My post here is meant to clarify exactly my situation so people know what was going with mine problem, FYI only. It may provide helpful details, or maybe not. 

Again, My appology.