Driver extension jun 1.03b/1.04b for DSM6.2.3 for 918+ / 3615xs / 3617xs


Recommended Posts

1. do not upgrade to 6.2.4 (today released), after restart you will see this on COM console:

va not found
Failed to process header

tested on Haswell HW with USB Jun’s Loader v1.04b DS918+ with extra918plus_v0.13.3  and rd.gz + zImage from 6.2.3 .pat file

2. My next test was rd.gz + zImage extracted from 6.2.4 DSM_DS918+_25554.pat file but same error

3. Working test was with rd.gz used from 6.2.4 .pat file + zImage from 6.2.3 .pat file, but half of DSM not works correct.

 

Please developer to compile new extra (driver extension) version for new 6.2.4.


 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, IG-88 said:

no, the vid7pid is not needed for just finding the system in network, if you start installing to disk you will see error 13 that way because of the vid/pid mismatch

 

most people i have seen using usb drives as internal drives had problems as it might not be stable (drives often dropping out of raid - hope you have a backup and know hot to manually recover a mdadm and lvm2) and you will loose the tweaked config when updating dsm (usually bigger version with 200-300MB *.pat file where the whole system disk is replaced, including the synoinfo.conf), i've seen both cases

 

using usb as internal is not for 1st time users as its not easy to handle and will easily break

 

you usually configure a overlap of internal drives and usb drives, like leaving usb on its default values and at the same time configuring max disks and internalportcfg to 24 drives, that way usb and internal overlap and you would see the usb drives within the 24 drive range

 

maxdisks="24"
internalportcfg="0xF"
esataportcfg="0x0"
usbportcfg="0x30000"

 

I still can't see it

Snap1.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, lhscjn said:

maxdisks="24"
internalportcfg="0xF"

On 2/23/2021 at 8:37 PM, IG-88 said:

configuring max disks and internalportcfg to 24 drives,

 

a "f" stands for 4 bit aka 4 drives, you configured internal to 4 drives

thats 24:

internalportcfg="0xffffff"

 

if two usb are not enough you can also change

usbportcfg="0x30000"

to

usbportcfg="0xff0000"

 

22 hours ago, emiX said:

Please developer to compile new extra (driver extension) version for new 6.2.4.

what makes you think its a driver problem, looks more like it broke the whole loader

 

Edited by IG-88
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, emiX said:

1. do not upgrade to 6.2.4 (today released), after restart you will see this on COM console:


va not found
Failed to process header

tested on Haswell HW with USB Jun’s Loader v1.04b DS918+ with extra918plus_v0.13.3  and rd.gz + zImage from 6.2.3 .pat file

 

its the same error as with dsm 7 beta, maybe the pre-load kernel does not match the synology kernel anymore

the modules in 6.2.4 file still have 4.4.59+ for the kernel version

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, IG-88 said:

 

a "f" stands for 4 bit aka 4 drives, you configured internal to 4 drives

thats 24:

internalportcfg="0xffffff"

 

if two usb are not enough you can also change

usbportcfg="0x30000"

to

usbportcfg="0xff0000"

 

what makes you think its a driver problem, looks more like it broke the whole loader

 

It should be the driver problem. No matter how to adjust, USB does not appear.

We look forward to your next driver update, and thank you for your help.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, lhscjn said:

It should be the driver problem. No matter how to adjust, USB does not appear.

usb driver are part of dsm not of the extra drivers, if your usb drives is not showing up check you /var/log/dmesg and use lsusb to check the status of the usb devices

i'd suggest 1st using default config to see if the usb hdd shows up as external drive, if it does, change synoinfo.conf and reboot

appart from this its nothing that the dev's at synology ever had in mind and even if it does work, it more of a misconfiguration error thats not catched properly, kind of a undefined state

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IG-88 said:

usb driver are part of dsm not of the extra drivers, if your usb drives is not showing up check you /var/log/dmesg and use lsusb to check the status of the usb devices

i'd suggest 1st using default config to see if the usb hdd shows up as external drive, if it does, change synoinfo.conf and reboot

appart from this its nothing that the dev's at synology ever had in mind and even if it does work, it more of a misconfiguration error thats not catched properly, kind of a undefined state

6.2.3_918

1. With USB boot, it can be found, indicating that BIOS correctly recognizes.

(VID and PID, Sn and Mac have been set correctly)

However, using USB boot to install DSM to hard disk, the progress reached 57% (error 13)

2. When booting with hard disk, DSM can be installed normally, all functions are normal, only USB does not exist.

You can't see any connected USB with lsusb, and no matter how it is set, it won't appear.

3. And this PC has (3617_ 6.1.7), it is normal without any setting.

It's just that I love watching movies with 918 hard decoding

3617 normal, 918 problem, what's the difference between them?

What data do you need to 
It can help me

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lhscjn said:

2. When booting with hard disk, DSM can be installed normally,

i dont get what you say here, what do you boot from disk? what disk? dsm boots from usb and installs to disks

1 hour ago, lhscjn said:

3. And this PC has (3617_ 6.1.7), it is normal without any setting.

It's just that I love watching movies with 918 hard decoding

3617 normal, 918 problem, what's the difference between them?

might be the differnce between dsm 6.1 / loader 1.02b and dsm 6.2

you can try loader 1.02b 916+, that also has a i915 driver, its Intel Pentium N3710 came with intel qsv

at this time the transcoding had a diffrent base (gstreamer?)

not sure if plex can use the transcoding of the 916+

the transcoding was jun's initial reason to introduce the 916+

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/6253-dsm-6xx-loader/?page=102#comment-67297

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lhscjn said:

1. With USB boot, it can be found, indicating that BIOS correctly recognizes.

(VID and PID, Sn and Mac have been set correctly)

However, using USB boot to install DSM to hard disk, the progress reached 57% (error 13)

 

did you try installing 6.2.0 (23739)?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, IG-88 said:

i dont get what you say here, what do you boot from disk? what disk? dsm boots from usb and installs to disks

 

 

If I put the boot on one disk, I can install DSM normally on another disk(DSM does not recognize USB).

If I put the boot on USB, when I install DSM on another disk (error 13).

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, lhscjn said:

If I put the boot on one disk, I can install DSM normally on another disk(DSM does not recognize USB).

If I put the boot on USB, when I install DSM on another disk (error 13).

 

Can the driver of 918 be replaced by 3617 driver?

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, IG-88 said:

i dont get what you say here, what do you boot from disk? what disk? dsm boots from usb and installs to disks

might be the differnce between dsm 6.1 / loader 1.02b and dsm 6.2

you can try loader 1.02b 916+, that also has a i915 driver, its Intel Pentium N3710 came with intel qsv

at this time the transcoding had a diffrent base (gstreamer?)

not sure if plex can use the transcoding of the 916+

the transcoding was jun's initial reason to introduce the 916+

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/6253-dsm-6xx-loader/?page=102#comment-67297

 

This should be the reason for the mount failure, right?

USB mount disk should be sda5.

 

Snap1.jpg

Edited by lhscjn
Link to post
Share on other sites

Good afternoon, please tell me. Is it possible to replace hpsa.ko in extra.lzma for newest version from site technical support HPE.com? For example can i get hpsa.ko from driver rhel 7 64? Is it difficulty process?

0cd6991a7151857e0c9f17d75555c08f-full.jp

Edited by sanicroc
So i found this https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7187-how-to-build-and-inject-missing-drivers-in-jun-loader-102a/
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, lhscjn said:

If I put the boot on one disk, I can install DSM normally on another disk(DSM does not recognize USB).

thats the method used by esxi install (3rd option in the boot menu), i never tried it that way baremetal

 

6 hours ago, lhscjn said:

Can the driver of 918 be replaced by 3617 driver?

no, different kernel 3.10.105 vs. 4.4.59+

 

5 hours ago, lhscjn said:

This should be the reason for the mount failure, right?

USB mount disk should be sda5.

no the superblock messages are normal and on every system

the sdX device for usb boot is usually above the max disk count

so sdq would be normal on a 918+

 

does your system has a serial port? with a null modem cable you might be able to get better and more information about the error when booting usb and failing to install

you would use a null-modem cable and putty for the other end so see what happens

can you add the grub.cfg from the loader you actually use for installing 918+?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, sanicroc said:

Good afternoon, please tell me. Is it possible to replace hpsa.ko in extra.lzma for newest version from site technical support HPE.com? For example can i get hpsa.ko from driver rhel 7 64? Is it difficulty process?

you can't just swap drivers files with linux like you do with windows

last time we tried hpsa drivers form external they always crashed and i also di d not have controller working with the hpsa to test, shortly a p410 dropped into my lap and now i would be able to test a newer driver, still it is a awfull task as it does not boot on my system when hpe controller bios is active and when inactive the disks cant be configured (it needs to have a raid for disks as the p410 does not has a switchable hba mode)

its on the todo list but not very high as the driver from the kernel does work (i did test it with the p410 a few weeks ago)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, IG-88 said:

thats the method used by esxi install (3rd option in the boot menu), i never tried it that way baremetal

 

no, different kernel 3.10.105 vs. 4.4.59+

 

no the superblock messages are normal and on every system

the sdX device for usb boot is usually above the max disk count

so sdq would be normal on a 918+

 

does your system has a serial port? with a null modem cable you might be able to get better and more information about the error when booting usb and failing to install

you would use a null-modem cable and putty for the other end so see what happens

can you add the grub.cfg from the loader you actually use for installing 918+?

Identify the (driver or firmware) problem.

In the same way, install (3617_ 6.1.7) + (extended driver) without any problem.

But (918+_ 6.2.3 / 0.13.3 driver), USB has no response, and the indicator light is not on.

Oh, by the way, it can use the mouse and keyboard normally, but the USB disk doesn't recognize it.

I hope you can take the time to add more compatible drivers. Thank you very much!

Edited by lhscjn
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lhscjn said:

but the USB disk doesn't recognize it.

I hope you can take the time to add more compatible drivers.

the usb drives are part of the kernel source, afaik there is not additional driver you could add or exchange and going through you dmesg, the driver do load and detect usb

...
[    3.634630] ACPI: bus type USB registered
[    3.634657] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbfs
[    3.634670] usbcore: registered new interface driver hub
[    3.634695] usbcore: registered new interface driver ethub
[    3.634722] usbcore: registered new device driver usb
[    3.654706] ohci_hcd: USB 1.1 'Open' Host Controller (OHCI) Driver
[    3.671093] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: xHCI Host Controller
[    3.671103] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
[    3.872212] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: hcc params 0x200077c1 hci version 0x100 quirks 0x0004b010
[    3.872219] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: cache line size of 64 is not supported
[    3.872443] hub 1-0:1.0: USB hub found
[    3.872456] hub 1-0:1.0: 9 ports detected
[    3.876158] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: xHCI Host Controller
[    3.876164] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
[    3.876188] usb usb2: We don't know the algorithms for LPM for this host, disabling LPM.
[    3.876353] hub 2-0:1.0: USB hub found
[    3.876365] hub 2-0:1.0: 4 ports detected
[    3.901609] usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
...

 

even the usb flash drive is detected and gets a sdq assignment

...
[    4.315698] usb 1-7: new high-speed USB device number 3 using xhci_hcd
[    4.603902] EXT4-fs (md0): barriers disabled
[    4.604236] EXT4-fs (md0): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts:
[    5.983838] usb 2-3: new SuperSpeed USB device number 2 using xhci_hcd
[    6.733919] Got empty serial number. Generate serial number from product.
[    7.484003] hub 1-7:1.0: USB hub found
[    7.983999] hub 1-7:1.0: 4 ports detected
[   10.234235] usb-storage 2-3:1.0: USB Mass Storage device detected
[   10.235758] scsi host3: usb-storage 2-3:1.0
[   11.357287] usb 1-8: new high-speed USB device number 4 using xhci_hcd
[   11.857344] scsi 3:0:0:0: Direct-Access     Kingston DataTraveler 3.0         PMAP PQ: 0 ANSI: 6
[   12.234376] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdq] 121135104 512-byte logical blocks: (62.0 GB/57.8 GiB)
[   12.734420] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdq] Write Protect is off
[   12.734423] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdq] Mode Sense: 45 00 00 00
[   12.984426] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdq] Write cache: disabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
[   18.234861] Got empty serial number. Generate serial number from product.
[   18.986022] usb-storage 1-8:1.0: Quirks match for vid 05e3 pid 0723: 8000
[   18.984964] usb-storage 1-8:1.0: USB Mass Storage device detected
[   18.986076] scsi host4: usb-storage 1-8:1.0
[   19.036932] usb 1-7.3: new full-speed USB device number 5 using xhci_hcd
[   19.063953]  sdq: sdq1 sdq2
...

 

the following part is where things go wrong, and where you could try to change something, xhci_hcd is usb 3 driver, so try a usb 3.0 port, a older usb 2.0 usb flash drive or connect a usb 2.0 hub and connect the usb flash drive this way, also try another flash drive and move it between usb ports

you should also try to look into usb settings in bios, there are usually some settings about usb compatibility

what is the  chipset/mainboard? from dmesg its a broadwell chipset from 2014, so there should not be "new" problems with 918+ kernel 4.4.59+

...
[   29.055753] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: xHCI host not responding to stop endpoint command.
[   29.055757] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Assuming host is dying, halting host.
[   29.055778] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: HC died; cleaning up
[   29.055892] usb 1-7-port3: couldn't allocate usb_device
[   29.055981] usb 2-3: USB disconnect, device number 2
[   29.055985] usb 1-7: USB disconnect, device number 3
[   29.056183] usb 1-8: USB disconnect, device number 4
[   29.061877] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdq] Read Capacity(10) failed: Result: hostbyte=0x01 driverbyte=0x00
[   29.061883] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdq] Sense not available.
[   29.061988] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdq] Attached SCSI removable disk
[   29.152095] EXT4-fs (md0): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: barrier=1
[   29.729670] EXT4-fs (md0): re-mounted. Opts: (null)
...

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by IG-88
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/7/2020 at 4:43 AM, IG-88 said:

good, anything above 1GBit networks is really a must have for now days nas (i prefer 10G but even 2.5G would be a noticeable step up for must people

 

 

Sorry, IG-88, another multi G NIC issue need bother you :

I have an AQC-107 10G NIC (ASUS brand) and an AQC-108 5G NIC , they both work perfect in my baremetal machince( ASUS  B250I or Giga B365M MATX),  but when I use it in a VM with your 0.13.3  ext driver , it can always work OK when I start the DSM6.23 VM first time after boot , however , when I shut-off the DSM 6.23 VM and restart , the NIC 's driver seems go wrong and can't obtain an IP.  I  tried to add another virtula NIC like E1000E,  I can get into SYNO's manage page , I can see the AQC NIC in the network list, but the DHCP area is grey . i.e. the AQC NIC can not get the IP address. 

My VM env is Proxmox VE , I tried both 6.2.4 and 6.3.1 version , same issue . Only AQC NIC ( AQC-107 or AQC-108 ) have this issue , Intel NIC or even RTL8125 2.5G NIC work just fine , you can stop and restart VM many times . By now, what I find is AQC NIC can not RE-start VM , baremetal  or first time start VM  after server boot is OK .

Could you give some advice from the AQC NIC driver point of view?

 

 

Edited by jimmyjin1978
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

3 hours ago, jimmyjin1978 said:

  I can get into SYNO's manage page , I can see the AQC NIC in the network list, but the DHCP area is grey . i.e. the AQC NIC can not get the IP address. 

that might be about the max. 2 nic limit in 918+ (you forgot to specify what type you use but extra 0.13.3 indicates 918+

if you already have a virtual nic and add another and the pass through nic it will be 3

 

3 hours ago, jimmyjin1978 said:

My VM env is Proxmox VE , I tried both 6.2.4 and 6.3.1 version , same issue .

 

really? there is no dsm 6.3.1 and afaik 6.2.4 does not boot at all with the current loader (at least in baremetal and esxi)

so i have doubts about your argumentation

 

3 hours ago, jimmyjin1978 said:

Only AQC NIC ( AQC-107 or AQC-108 ) have this issue , Intel NIC or even RTL8125 2.5G NIC work just fine , you can stop and restart VM many times . By now, what I find is AQC NIC can not RE-start VM , baremetal  or first time start VM  after server boot is OK .

Could you give some advice from the AQC NIC driver point of view?

you would need to use pci pass trough to have it directly in the vm, but that would be a unusual way and partly a waste of resources

usually you would use the nic directly in the hypervisor like esxi and use the virtual vmxnet3 adapter (10G capable) inside the vm, the driver is there and already part of jun's default driver set

not sure what 10G capable proxmox offers

as test/mitigation you could also try to use 3-5 1G virtual nic's and have the 10G nic native in the hypervisor

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, IG-88 said:

really? there is no dsm 6.3.1 and afaik 6.2.4 does not boot at all with the current loader (at least in baremetal and esxi)

so i have doubts about your argumentation

 

Here I mean PVE version , the DSM version is always DS918+ 6.23

Quote

you would need to use pci pass trough to have it directly in the vm, but that would be a unusual way and partly a waste of resources

usually you would use the nic directly in the hypervisor like esxi and use the virtual vmxnet3 adapter (10G capable) inside the vm, the driver is there and already part of jun's default driver set

Yes, I'm using PCIe pass through, as I said , I also used a RTL8125B 2.5G NIC , that NIC passing thorugh works just fine with DSM6.23 VM . I also have a intel Gigabit NIC card and it work fine, too. Intel X550-t1 10G NIC also works. Only AQC107 and AQC108 I found the " restart VM" issue

 

Edited by jimmyjin1978
Link to post
Share on other sites
В 26.02.2021 в 18:25, IG-88 сказал:

you can't just swap drivers files with linux like you do with windows

last time we tried hpsa drivers form external they always crashed and i also di d not have controller working with the hpsa to test, shortly a p410 dropped into my lap and now i would be able to test a newer driver, still it is a awfull task as it does not boot on my system when hpe controller bios is active and when inactive the disks cant be configured (it needs to have a raid for disks as the p410 does not has a switchable hba mode)

its on the todo list but not very high as the driver from the kernel does work (i did test it with the p410 a few weeks ago)

 

I have HP Smart Array P410, P222, P822. I tried booting to P522 jun 1.03b + DS3617xs + driver ext 11_2 test and caught a kernel panic.
The next step, I changed the RAID-adapter to P410, after that it was loaded with the xpenology but did not see my RAID10 array.
The next step I downloaded ubuntu-20.04.2-live-server-amd64, downloaded it and immediately saw the recognized RAID10 array.
Please do not hesitate if I could help with testing within the confines of my equipment - I will do it with pleasure.

PS I am sorry for my English.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sanicroc said:

I have HP Smart Array P410, P222, P822. I tried booting to P522 jun 1.03b + DS3617xs + driver ext 11_2 test and caught a kernel panic.
The next step, I changed the RAID-adapter to P410, after that it was loaded with the xpenology but did not see my RAID10 array.

configured my p410 to have raid0 single disk, still works (test with 3617)

check your /var/log/dmesg for the p410 (hpsa.ko) and look for the disks after its found

 

 

0000:01:00.0 Class 0104: Device 103c:323a (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Device 103c:3243
        Kernel driver in use: hpsa

 

image.thumb.png.7f84c4116a416ac8cb726232b6e55ba3.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have learned that many PCs will have many problems when they are installed with (dsm918 6.2) or above. For example, they can't find a network card or USB, can't shut down normally. Its compatibility is much worse than 3617. What's the reason?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks so much for sharing!

My device :ASROCK J3455,1.03b 3615xs,6.2.3-25426 Update 3,TP-NG421(R8125B) ,extra3615v011test

 The R8125B network adapter can be identified, but the ip address cannot be obtained by DHCP, and the static ip address is also inaccessible

Is there an update that can solve this problem? I look forward to your answer or email, thank you very much! email:cywang@vip.qq.com

Edited by adamk
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, lhscjn said:

What's the reason?

3615/17 use kernel 3.10.105, 918+ is kernel 4.4.59+

 

16 hours ago, lhscjn said:

For example, they can't find a network card or USB

haven't seen anything like that here, people often assume a nic driver problem because they cant find it in network, but as 918+ need 4th gen intel cpu as min. there is a good amount of people just voicing there opinion without any foundation to proof (like using a serial null-modem cable for the console output)

btw. 3617 will also get kernel 4.4.xx with dsm 7.0, only 3615 will still have 3.10.1xx

 

 

12 hours ago, adamk said:

The R8125B network adapter can be identified, but the ip address cannot be obtained by DHCP, and the static ip address is also inaccessible

might be a newer revision or phy that is not working with the driver from last year, at least 3615/17 will get now newer driver as it does not compile against kernel 3.10.105, as long as no one with coding skills fixes that only 918+ will get a new driver

its possible to identify the non working cards by pci vendor and devcie id's and its sub id's (afair in the realtek source from 10/2020 where two new id's)

 

12 hours ago, adamk said:

Is there an update that can solve this problem?

 

using 918+ and new drivers when they are finished, your cpu would run with 918+

 

its also possible to do it yourself, there are two tutorials about that

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7341-tutorial-compile-xpenology-drivers-in-windows-10/

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7187-how-to-build-and-inject-missing-drivers-in-jun-loader-102a/

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.