Driver extension jun 1.03b/1.04b for DSM6.2.3 for 918+ / 3615xs / 3617xs

On 11/18/2020 at 3:52 PM, IG-88 said:

as there is still a 2 nic limit in the base config of 918+ you would need to edit synoinfo.conf to make a 3rd/4th nic work

"...

[CUT]

if you want to know if the driver works please check the dmesg log and you can also use lspci to check what driver is used for pcie devices (lspci -k)

as a simple test you can also simply disable one of the onboard nic's and check if the 10G nic is working

@IG-88

thank you SO MUCH! It was the 2 nic's limit. Now everything is working like a charm! :-)

Just another question: if I have a DSM 6.2.2 where the /dev/dri/ directory was not present and, after modifying the IGFX BIOS setup now - with a new test HDD -  the dev/dri/ is present, when I upgrade to DSM 6.2.3 on the production HDDs the new .pat file will register the modification in BIOS and create the /dev/dri/ accordingly? 

1 hour ago, Hackaro said:

Just another question: if I have a DSM 6.2.2 where the /dev/dri/ directory was not present and, after modifying the IGFX BIOS setup now - with a new test HDD -  the dev/dri/ is present, when I upgrade to DSM 6.2.3 on the production HDDs the new .pat file will register the modification in BIOS and create the /dev/dri/ accordingly? 

with 6.2.2 you would need to use jun's i915 driver by using "0.8_std ds918+"

with 6.2.3 there is a newer i915 driver from synology on the same level is jun's diver was, supporting up to geminilake and lower tier 9th gen cpus ootb, only thing to do is to use my extra.lzma to remove jun's old driver (not working with 6.2.3 because of kernel changes by synology) and make the new one from synology active

there is nothing special, it works with 6.2.2 it will with 6.2.3

the 1st post in this thread is also about updating from 6.2.2

• Thanks 1
On 11/16/2020 at 11:22 PM, IG-88 said:

edit: the 2.14 driver does not compile anymore with kernel 3.10.105, looks like they messed up with the compatibility as it uses functions not present in this kernel (netdevice.h) and it does not compile because of undefined variable , same goes for former 2.13

its 2.12 for now on 3615/17, the new 2.14 driver compiles against the newer 4.4.59 source of the 918+ so at least 918+ will get a newer driver

Dose this mean that there will be no RTL-8125B driver for 3617xs?

2 hours ago, Ezra said:

Dose this mean that there will be no RTL-8125B driver for 3617xs?

not if you look closer in the text there is e reference to r8152 driver, thats for realtek usb nic's up 8156

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/28321-driver-extension-jun-103b104b-for-dsm623-for-918-3615xs-3617xs/?do=findComment&comment=179831

also the version numbers for r8125 are completely different, for that it's 9.00x

edit: but it looks like the newer 9.004.01 for r8125 is the same in this regard, they used stuff thats not present in kernel 3.10.x, so looks like they quietly dropped kernel 3.x support in the drivers, so its will be 9.003.5 for 3615/17 until its fixed

Edited by IG-88

Hello everyone,

I'm currently running 6.2.2-24922 Update 4 on a bare metal N54L, and would like to update to 6.2.3-25426 Update 2. I followed the links in this thread to download Jun's 1.03b loader and the pat file from Synology. I also downloaded the "extra.lzma for loader 1.03b ds3615 DSM 6.2.3 v0.11_test" in the first post of this thread.

Now, I believe I should:

1. Mount the loader image in osfmount to modify grub.cfg with my vid/pid/sn/mac and add the extra.lzma to the second partition. Should I also update zImage and rd.gz using those in the pat file ?
  2. Burn that modified image to a USB stick.
  3. Plug that USB in my NAS and boot from it.
  4. Access the NAS through the web to "migrate" DSM to 6.2.3 using the downloaded pat file.

Not so sure about that last part. Otherwise, did I get the hang of it ?

Thanks for all your work (particularly @IG-88, obviously) and for your precious help.