XPEnology Community

Driver extension jun 1.03b/1.04b for DSM6.2.3 for 918+ / 3615xs / 3617xs

2 hours ago, Cyber50 said:

So I decided to try the PCI-E 2.5GBe, Edimax (chips says RTL8125AG).  Sadly it's not seen in Xpenology.  I am running DSM 6.2-23739, is there an extras package for this version with an RTL8125 driver?  Do I need to move to a higher version of DSM?

the version from the 1st page do have support to a certain degree, for 3615/17 the driver from realtek did not compile against kernel 3.10 so the driver in these extra's (v9.003.05, compile 6/2020) are way older the the one in the 918+  (kernel 4.4) extra/extra2, but i have not made changes to that one for a while too

there will be some cards working with 3615/17, i guess most will work with 918+ (the driver in 918+ extra's was compiled in 12/2021, its version 9.007.01)

for th usb based r8152 driver (in bracket is the driver date from realtek)

918+ r8152.ko - v2.15.0 (2021/04/15)

3615/17 r8152.ko - v2.12.0 (2019/04/29)

(not sure why the 3615/17 driver is that much older, from memory i think there was no problem compiling it, i guess there was no need for a newer driver as there was no request for that)

in general i'd suggest looking into the new rp based loaders for 7.0/7.1, there is no much sense in using there outdated stuff here as even if you try to keep it on 6.2 (like because of some spk packages not available for 7.x) its still pointless as syno changed things in 6.2 and you need the rp based loader anyway starting with 6.2.4 (recent and still updated version of 6.2), also even support for 6.2 will end about 6/2023, so anyone interested in a dsm version with security updates should look into dsm 7.x and rp based loaders (arpl and tcrp)

btw. there will even be 7.2 shortly (q1/2023) so 6.2.3 will be outdated by 3 new dsm generations by then and 7.2 will bring kernel 5.x support (in most cases) so newer hardware will get better support and with linux usually older hardware is still working fine, i guess even the old HP N40 microservers will work if they nor run with ds3617 or ds3622

1 hour ago, Cyber50 said:

https://github.com/bb-qq/r8152/issues/121

From my understanding, this will work with Xpenology (any version) and supports 2.5GBe?

that might be harder then you think because of the way jun's loader work

in general (linux es it is) drivers in /lib/modules/update/ will be preferred over drivers in /lib/modules/ as long as there is just a insmod without a specific path to the older version, and drivers in /lib/modules/update/ will be checked by the loader on every boot to be the same as in the extra.lzma and if its different then it will be replaces with the one from the loader, so if you install the package made for syno's vanilla dsm (which does not have r8125 driver) there will already be a driver in your (xpenology) system and its not just about overwriting the driver with a newer one

but you can at least test if the driver is working better, just unload the driver already there with rmmod, install the driver from the package (look where its copied and load it from there with insmod) and restart the network services so get it working on the already running system an long as you can do that without a reboot you can test/use the newer driver

integrating the new driver file (already complied and tested to work) in extra.lzma is just a case of (correctly) repacking the extra.lzma and that can be done on any live linux with just a few commands (cpio and lzma, its documented here in a older howto)

4 hours ago, Cyber50 said:

So the TP-Link 10GBe card is NOT likely to work on 6.2?

i would guess tp-link sold a lot of different 10G cards with different base-chips and  phy-chips over the last years in the lower segment

often its not a problem with the base chip but with the different phy-chips that change and with some drivers there is no universal, as the oem's might only pack the binary parts for the phy they use, seen that with tehuti based 10G nic's and some trouble to collect all the needed parts from different vendors

so i guess if its recently sold nic it might not work with the drivers in the extra's that are online now

its best to use the rp base loaders for 7.x and its drivers for recent hardware and if needed improve these drivers, that will be usable much longer

there are some vendors with less diversity and cards that are more or less the same over years but these older cards are also often only usable for 10G and not 2.5G/5G, if you are able to use just 10G then older used cards might deliver what you are looking for like mellanox connect-2/3/4 cards or broadcom based 10G cards used with the bnx2x  driver, looking into these cards and choosing wisely might offer better chances ending up with a card working with 6.2 (3615/17 as you would need), if it need to be a 10G RJ-45 then maybe a older broadcom based one bcm 57810/57840 (aka NetXtreme II, beside asus i know of dell and ibm cards) or if its possible to stick to sfp+ then mellanox connect x-3 is save choice and would even work ootb with synology as they also sold these cards

on long term 10G sfp+ based is better as it offers more flexibility and if you look for a cheap 10G switch its going to have sfp+ and not rj-45

if you look here

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/12859-driver-extension-jun-103a2dsm62x-for-ds918/

then tere is a list of supported nic hardware that would still be valid if you look for a older used card

(NETWORK DRIVERS LIST)

Aquantia ( atlantic) and tehuti might be problematic if its a new card, if its 2-3 yaers old its likely to work

even intel based 10G  (if its newer) might need a newer driver (seen that with onboard units) but beside the i40e it was always possible to build drivers from recent source (that in central maintained and not splintered like with the the two above

older emulex and qlogic cards might be a goos choice too but the safest is the mellanox if iths listed in link above

look for a card, send a link here and i will have look, if you can provide pci id's (like seen with lspci, https://pci-ids.ucw.cz/read/PC/14e4) it even better/easier

5 hours ago, SCMO said:

what model of board exactly do you use with jmb585?

I ask you because I prefer to follow an already beaten path

two different one from china, looked for it on amazon with delivery trough amazon (as did not wanted to deal with customs and extra costs)

as long as its not a m.2 card with a jmb585 its ok i guess, never heard of people here having problems

(the m.2 card i tested myself and it never worked stable for unkonwn reason, even with a added cooler)

if its a normal 4x pcie card with a jmb585 i would not hesitate much, but as with all new hardware for a storage server it should be tested before risking a stable running system

but you can look at this if you want

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/35882-new-sataahci-cards-with-more-then-4-ports-and-no-sata-multiplexer/?do=findComment&comment=192836

you might also be careful with the sata cables, i only use the ones that click in (metal tongue on the connector) and a proven source might be better then what was randomly delivered with a controller, when in doubt and seeing issues that might be a connection problem always replace with new cable (they are cheap), a cable that showed problems can repeat that even when it looks ok after reconnecting it.

Cheers IG-88 and hemp.

I tried another USB3 card, this was a Dell x1 slot only too so freed up the larger lane.  Speed was less than the previous USB card, around 160 Mbytes/s write and just over 200 read.  The transfer speed was more stable though, less up and down in speeds across the 60GB transfer.  Running Karen's Replicator was no issue and files were still copying when I stopped it.  Whereas on previous USB card it would cease.

I did try a Windows 10 install, was thinking maybe doing W10 and a 6GB/s RAID card.  Speeds were about 185 MBytes/s write and read up at 250.  This was from a single 250GB SSD in slot 1.

With your help I went down the driver route with extras, I got the appropriate v.0.12.1 for my DSM3617xs and boom, the card showed straight away.  Initial speeds and Karen's Replicator results look promising.

So hopefully I have long term stability, 2.5GBe network speed and also high speed USB3.1 in the old Microserver.

If NOT, then it's Tinycore Redpill for DSM7.1

N40L with Edimax 2.5GBe.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2022 at 9:11 PM, IG-88 said:

two different one from china, looked for it on amazon with delivery trough amazon (as did not wanted to deal with customs and extra costs)

as long as its not a m.2 card with a jmb585 its ok i guess, never heard of people here having problems

(the m.2 card i tested myself and it never worked stable for unkonwn reason, even with a added cooler)

if its a normal 4x pcie card with a jmb585 i would not hesitate much, but as with all new hardware for a storage server it should be tested before risking a stable running system

but you can look at this if you want

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/35882-new-sataahci-cards-with-more-then-4-ports-and-no-sata-multiplexer/?do=findComment&comment=192836

you might also be careful with the sata cables, i only use the ones that click in (metal tongue on the connector) and a proven source might be better then what was randomly delivered with a controller, when in doubt and seeing issues that might be a connection problem always replace with new cable (they are cheap), a cable that showed problems can repeat that even when it looks ok after reconnecting it.

Hi Again @IG-88,

I'm sorry for the delay in my reply, but I've been quite busy with work lately and I haven't had much time for other things :)

I followed your advice and found a version with 5 SATA ports on Amazon.

This would be the link : https://www.amazon.com/Electop-Controller-Expansion-Non-Raid-Standard/dp/B08BHZQVP7

This is very similar to what was presented on the forum in the posts you sent me for study.

It appears to have a JMB585 chipset and is specified to be PCI-E x 4.Would it be an option to consider for the ASM1166 version?

Thank's,

Mihai

PS: Thanks a lot @IG-88

for the advice regarding the SATA cables. For a very long time I have only been working with the ones with metal tongue, because in the past I had problems with the other models without clips and the difference in money between them is insignificant. :)

Edited by SCMO

3 hours ago, SCMO said:

Would it be an option to consider for the ASM1166 version?

i can't say much about the asm1166, used mine just for testing a little, as i had the jmb585 earlier, it was working fine and i only use 4 of the 5 ports so had no need for 6 ports

i've not seen any negative comments about asm1166 and also seen people here using it

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/65408-automated-redpill-loader-arpl/?do=findComment&comment=382342

considering this
https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/63475-dsm-7-proxmox-hdd-hibernation-issue/?do=findComment&comment=303430

the asm1166 might be a better choice with synology's kernel as they did not have a special fix in there kernel as it seems to be the case for jmb585

but i never looked into the kernel code belonging to this, might be something unimportant for normal use

my two jmb585 run fine for over 2 years now

• 1 month later...
On 6/3/2022 at 9:17 PM, IG-88 said:

try tinycore rp loader, uefi should be no problem with DS3622xs+ and the the asus 10G nic should work too

Took me quite a while to try what you suggested 🙄... @IG-88

downloaded "tinycore-redpill-uefi.v0.9.4.0.img" and created  my bootstick with rufus

than I booted this stick with my "nas" and logged in from my desktop

in the following I did everything step by step like (THANKS to @Peter Suh:

./rploader.sh update now ./rploader.sh fullupgrade now ./rploader.sh serialgen DS3622xs+ ./rploader.sh identifyusb now ./rploader.sh satamap now ./rploader.sh build broadwellnk-7.0.1-42218 ./rploader.sh clean now ./rploader.sh build broadwellnk-7.1.0-42661 ./rploader.sh clean now; rm -rf /mnt/sdb3/auxfiles; rm -rf /home/tc/custom-module; ./rploader.sh backup now;

but in the end once i've botte up again no loader showed up, still only tiny core, no baremetal etc.

tried do do the procedure again and got this:

C:\Users\XY>ssh tc@192.168xxxxxxx
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@    WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED!     @
IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING NASTY!
Someone could be eavesdropping on you right now (man-in-the-middle attack)!
It is also possible that a host key has just been changed.
The fingerprint for the ECDSA key sent by the remote host is
SHA256:YEREMecQJS+2ktXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.
Please contact your system administrator.
Add correct host key in C:\\Users\\XY/.ssh/known_hosts to get rid of this message.
Offending ECDSA key in C:\\Users\\XY/.ssh/known_hosts:1
ECDSA host key for 192.168.xxxxxxx has changed and you have requested strict checking.
Host key verification failed.

at the moment I unfortunately have to quit  at this point since I don't know any solution how to handle this issue.

Does anybody know how to fix tit? 

3 hours ago, TNa681 said:

Took me quite a while to try what you suggested 🙄... @IG-88

downloaded "tinycore-redpill-uefi.v0.9.4.0.img" and created  my bootstick with rufus

than I booted this stick with my "nas" and logged in from my desktop

in the following I did everything step by step like (THANKS to @Peter Suh:

./rploader.sh update now ./rploader.sh fullupgrade now ./rploader.sh serialgen DS3622xs+ ./rploader.sh identifyusb now ./rploader.sh satamap now ./rploader.sh build broadwellnk-7.0.1-42218 ./rploader.sh clean now ./rploader.sh build broadwellnk-7.1.0-42661 ./rploader.sh clean now; rm -rf /mnt/sdb3/auxfiles; rm -rf /home/tc/custom-module; ./rploader.sh backup now;

but in the end once i've botte up again no loader showed up, still only tiny core, no baremetal etc.

tried do do the procedure again and got this:

C:\Users\XY>ssh tc@192.168xxxxxxx
@    WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED!     @
IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING NASTY!
Someone could be eavesdropping on you right now (man-in-the-middle attack)!
It is also possible that a host key has just been changed.
The fingerprint for the ECDSA key sent by the remote host is
SHA256:YEREMecQJS+2ktXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.
Please contact your system administrator.
Add correct host key in C:\\Users\\XY/.ssh/known_hosts to get rid of this message.
Offending ECDSA key in C:\\Users\\XY/.ssh/known_hosts:1
ECDSA host key for 192.168.xxxxxxx has changed and you have requested strict checking.
Host key verification failed.

at the moment I unfortunately have to quit  at this point since I don't know any solution how to handle this issue.

Does anybody know how to fix tit? 

The method you used is the old method.

Replace with the 0.9.3.0-1 image shown below and try again.

The loader is built from within the menu, just like ARPL, without the need to type commands directly.

Here's the easiest way to build a TCRP loader.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

The method you used is the old method.

Replace with the 0.9.3.0-1 image shown below and try again.

The loader is built from within the menu, just like ARPL, without the need to type commands directly.

Here's the easiest way to build a TCRP loader.

Thanks a lot for your support @Peter Suh 

Is there any way to get the old method work?

By the way, do you recommend to update my existing system from Jun 1.03b / DS3615xs / 6.2.3 Update 3 to the redpill loader DS3622xs+ 7.1 ?  

Edited by TNa681

14 minutes ago, TNa681 said:

Thanks a lot for your support @Peter Suh 

Is there any way to get the old method work?

By the way, do you recommend to update my existing system from Jun 1.03b / DS3615xs / 6.2.3 Update 3 to the redpill loader DS3622xs+ 7.1 ?  

If you prefer the command method, this is also possible within the 0.9.3.0-1 image shown above.

Among the models of REDPILL, DS3622xs+ is the most stable model.

We know that DS3615xs will be discontinued in DSM 7.2.

Seamless migration between the two versions of the model is possible.

A backup is essential prior to migration.

• Like 1

That's great news.

Do you know whether the image 0.9.3.0-1 includes drivers for AQC107 and RTL8125B ? If not, how can I add those via command method?

If my hardware (Intel 2nd generation) gets supported by loader DS3622xs+ I'll go for it. Thanks for reminding about the importance of a backup. Of course, I have one :-)

I'll come back to this thread and will reply my experience.

Edited by TNa681

21 minutes ago, TNa681 said:

That's great news.

Do you know whether the image 0.9.3.0-1 includes drivers for AQC107 and RTL8125B ? If not, how can I add those via command method?

If my hardware (Intel 2nd generation) gets supported by loader DS3622xs+ I'll go for it. Thanks for reminding about the importance of a backup. Of course, I have one :-)

I'll come back to this thread and will reply my experience.

The 0.9.3.0-1 image already includes the two extension drivers you want.
M SHELL uses the ARPL loader method or the integrated driver pack used in the past DSM 6 Jun's loader.

Unless otherwise specified, most drivers are included in this integrated pack.

In September of last year, we were discussing an issue at the same AQC107 and stopped.
TCRP is supported by the atlantic extension driver.

{
     "name": "atlantic",
     "alias": "pci:v00001D6Ad000007B1sv*sd*bc*sc*i*"
},

It seems difficult to judge in advance without actually applying the loader.

The r8125 is also included of course.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/PeterSuh-Q3/rp-ext/master/r8125/rpext-index.json

DS3622xs+ also worked on Intel 1st generation.

So, tried my best and at least have reached the next milestone, I would think.

Did the whole procedure with your tool 👌😉 and was successful...pretty nice tool by the way!!!

During my first try I got a bit confused by the "friend" option when creating the loader - still don't understand what's that for?

However, managed it by trying the second option, booted up again and there was my long awaited baremetal usb boot option...NICE

IMG_4513.thumb.jpg.aa60313444bccc3c7ca079013b52e137.jpg

After further boot it ended up with "starting kernel with usb boot"

IMG_4514.thumb.jpg.49647171b64063c8a3bfce00b82705b7.jpg

Then I tried to find the NAS by using Sinology Assistant, but had no luck. By the way, have chosen the option for using real mac adress when loader was created.

I had that behavior already in the past when I was playing with different USB-sticks and Juns loaders. NAs wasn't visible with the Assistant but when connection via brokers and the IP I was always able to login. 

Is there anything I am doing wrong? It might so, but I can't find the issue...

One more Question

Since the loader seems to be for v7.1.1 42962 I tried to download the specific pat-file for DS3622xs+ but only found the one which contains "(with Update 1)" in the file name.  Can I use that anyway? Given that I can find the NAS in my network.

Edited by TNa681

Found the issue (have to choose legacy instead of uefi) and now it's running, except the AsusC100C as well as the Realtek 8125b. 

The loader stick was built based on your image 0.9.3.0-1

How can I make the additional network devices run?

XPEnology.thumb.jpg.1ef10508516b30405c9f8df8914ac346.jpg

Edited by TNa681

3 hours ago, TNa681 said:

Nobody who is able to help me getting a AsusC100C to work?

for you can try this loader

https://github.com/AuxXxilium/arc

or its even more automated version

https://github.com/AuxXxilium/arc-automated

(less hassle as its menu driven by default as arpl and also claims to support more drives)

driver for the nic: atlantic.ko, there are different versions of the driver in the loaders and it might be that newer phy chips are only supported with newer driver versions

tcrp: 2.4.15

arpl: 2.5.5.0

arc: 2.5.5.0

ASUS Homepage for the nic

https://www.asus.com/supportonly/xg-c100c/helpdesk_download/?model2Name=XG-C100C

ASUS XG-C100C Driver Version 5.0.3.3
Version 5.0.3.3 75.59 MB
2021/12/22
1. update driver to ver. 3.0.20.0
2. update linux to ver. 2.4.14.0

so from this it look like the driver versions used in tcrp and arpl should be good enough as asus only uses 2.4.14

also check the log about the driver message after dsm installation (dmesg) it might give you a hint like nic chip detected but unknown phy

i might also say that this thread is for 6.2. not for 7.x so on "long" term and further problems create an thread or add to thread about the loader you use, it might also raise the possibility to get proper help for you problem (not much people will look here anymore)

Edited by IG-88

8 hours ago, TNa681 said:

About the creating a log file for the driver message, could you give me kind of a shortcut/example on how to do that?

"dmesg" was the thing to use, that will list the log (guess you know how to activate ssh in DSM and use putty?)

maybe try "dmesg |grep atlantic" to just see log from the driver