XPEnology Community

Driver extension jun 1.03b/1.04b for DSM6.2.3 for 918+ / 3615xs / 3617xs

10 hours ago, mihayoo said:

i3-8350k cpu with 3E91

driver should be ok as you have devices in /dev/dri

videostation us usually usable with a patch

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/49961-synocodectool-patch-for-dsm-70/

but plex should be working with just the driver and plexpass (license needed to use hardware transcoding with plex)

maybe try  this instead of plex https://synocommunity.com/package/jellyfin that should also work with just the i915 driver and hardware transcoding is free ootb to use

6 hours ago, IG-88 said:

driver should be ok as you have devices in /dev/dri

videostation us usually usable with a patch

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/49961-synocodectool-patch-for-dsm-70/

but plex should be working with just the driver and plexpass (license needed to use hardware transcoding with plex)

maybe try  this instead of plex https://synocommunity.com/package/jellyfin that should also work with just the i915 driver and hardware transcoding is free ootb to use

Well, I used a vaild SN number and signed in synology account. And the plex pass has been purchased. Then I used jellyfin and failed at hw transcode.

14 hours ago, mihayoo said:

And the plex pass has been purchased. Then I used jellyfin and failed at hw transcode.

both plex and jellyfin dont depend on serial or syno's codecs so its kind of driver/kernel/hardware related

only thing that comes to mind would be to change the state of vt-d for the iGPU in bios

Le 13/07/2022 à 18:50, IG-88 a dit :

both plex and jellyfin dont depend on serial or syno's codecs so its kind of driver/kernel/hardware related

only thing that comes to mind would be to change the state of vt-d for the iGPU in bios

Yes I can confirm, i have a J5040itx Motherboard and dsm 7.1 baremetal, transcoding works perfectly on videostation and jellyfin (qsv and vaapi), but only With vt-d disabled on the bios, vt-x is enabled, no problem

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Florian83260 said:

I'm not sure what version i'have to use ? 

Actually, i don't have dev/dri folder with Jun's 1.04b, 918+, DSM 6.2.3

extra/extra2 from 1st page, that will remove jun's special i915 driver that does not work anymore with 6.2.3, synology has a new i915 with 6.2.3 that is more or less the same as jun's driver

your J3710 is a braswell and will not be able to encode hevc (h.265), so if you do reencoding use avc (h.264)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quick_Sync_Video

10 hours ago, NooL said:

I have a i9-9900k im my new setup (3E98 i believe?) 

Will this i915.ko work for dsm7? or is it purely 6.2.3? 

the drivers will only work for 6.2.3

but there are patches and driver for newer DSM Versions

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/59909-i915ko-backported-driver-for-intel-10th-gen-ds918-ver-701-up3/

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @IG-88

I really appreciate the hard work to make the nic killer E2500 works. After one year of use, I'm now upgrading my system from 2 disks (on motherboard Sata ports) to 10 disks with a new added card LSI 9211-8i, IT mode with SAS2008. I guess I'm having the same SAS card as the original posts.

As you point out the problem in the first posts, I'm wondering if the newest v0.13.9 is free from missing smart info, or any potential risks that I should be aware. Im currently running 1.04b ds918+ DSM 6.2.3 with V0.13.9 driver extension. 

in the original posts, the notes for 1.04b v0.13.9 doesn't state the problem of missing SMART or Disk Hibernation problem. Thats why I'm asking. Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys. I used 1.03b for the 3617 to migrate/upgrade my DSM from 3615, it claimed to be migrating, but the host is no longer pingable on the reboot? Can this take hours or something? It's been 30min and has not been resolvable since. I tried replacing the current extra.lzma on the second partition with the contents of extra3617_v0.11.2_test.zip, but no luck. Same with the v0.12 version as well. Thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello!

I've added 2.5GBe Realtec NIC  to my 6.2.3 xpenology running on N54L.
The image used is DSM_DS 3615xs.

Extras are 0.12.1

Right now i have 1.57 gbit speed between the xpenology server and windows 10 comp.

Both machines NICs connected directly. Windows drivers are the latest.

Is the any way to get better link speed? Maybe there is some updated NIC driver for r8125?

I've seen some newer driver here but only for 918+ build..

Thanks in advance

Edited by hemp

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/26/2022 at 10:10 PM, gingerbeardman said:

Hi, I use and rely on the CD-ROM drivers in extra.lzma on my N54L

What is the recommended path if I am considering upgrading to DSM 7.x using RedPill? Will the CD continue to work with the existing extra.lzma?

cdrom is kind of exotic in that environment

@pocopico rp loader seems not to have a extension (aka driver) for cdrom

https://github.com/pocopico/rp-ext

also @fbelavenutoarpl loader seems not to have a cdrom driver packed into it

it would be kind of easy as it only need two additional modules to compile/load (cdrom.ko and  sr_mod.ko) from the used kernel for the dsm version in question

you can't use a "old" extra.lzma that was made for a different DSM version as these usually use a different kernel and kernel drivers are only working for the specific kernel they where compiled for, so you would ask in a development thread for the loader if they are willing to add these two drivers to the loader (above i used the forum function to give them a indication about there accounts being used here so they might have a look here, but if nothing happens in a few day's you should might open a thread in the developer section asking for that in DSM 7.0/7.1 loaders)

if nothing else goes you can also have VMM virtual machine or a docker, hand over a usb cdrom to that one and use it with the cdrom driver in the vm/docker, the vm could even be windows (just a idea, not tested)

edit: its also possible to use a 3rd party package if that exists to add the drivers - and it does (now)

https://synocommunity.com/package/synokernel-cdrom

• Like 1

Hi, I have been using Xpenology for 1.5 years and recently I would like to add integrated graphics support so that videos can be transcoded using hardware. I am using v1.04b, DSM 6.2.3 25426 918+, w1290 (ID 9BC6) and I did not find i915.co compatible for this ID in your post. Could you please tell me if it is possible to add support for this 9BC6? Thanks a lot!

14 hours ago, rxl561 said:

Hi, I have been using Xpenology for 1.5 years and recently I would like to add integrated graphics support so that videos can be transcoded using hardware. I am using v1.04b, DSM 6.2.3 25426 918+, w1290 (ID 9BC6) and I did not find i915.co compatible for this ID in your post. Could you please tell me if it is possible to add support for this 9BC6? Thanks a lot!

9bc5 - CometLake-S GT2 [UHD Graphics 630] -> that one was tested and faild (no boot)

9bc6 - Comet Lake-S GT2 [UHD Graphics P630] -> same type as befor bat even "P" so more different then 9bc5 and extemly unlikely to work

use dsm 7.x and redpill loader as there is a newer patch in that one for more/better i915 support

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/59909-i915ko-backported-driver-for-intel-10th-gen-ds918-ver-701-up3/?do=findComment&comment=291423

there is also support for dva units having native nvidia drivers build in, depending on the nvidia gpu (gtx 10xx or older?) it might work ootb with plex

On 10/4/2022 at 2:00 AM, hemp said:

Hello!

I've added 2.5GBe Realtec NIC  to my 6.2.3 xpenology running on N54L.
The image used is DSM_DS 3615xs.

Extras are 0.12.1

Right now i have 1.57 gbit speed between the xpenology server and windows 10 comp.

Both machines NICs connected directly. Windows drivers are the latest.

Is the any way to get better link speed? Maybe there is some updated NIC driver for r8125?

I've seen some newer driver here but only for 918+ build..

Thanks in advance

I would be keen to know which specific files you used, at the moment on my N40L I am trying a USB 2.5GBe adapter 

I have a PCI-E 2.5GBe on order (EN-9225TX-E Edimax) - have not been able to verify if it's RTL8125 or B version.  So I'm guessing my 6.2-23739 won't have that driver installed and I will need to move to 6.2.3?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again @IG-88

A few weeks ago I also managed to upgrade from DSM 6.2.3 to DSM 7.1.1-42962 v1 on 918+ on my Asus Z370i with i7 8700 and I even succeeded with the help of the bb-qq drivers for realtek (RTL8152/RTL8153) to successfully install a USB 3.1 network card (Club 3D) of 2.5 Gbit. I'm already waiting for the second one to try to use them together.

But now I encountered another problem to which I did not find a clear answer, although I found many possible options on the forum. I would be interested in expanding the number of SATA ports with a card to use on the PCI-E 16x slot .I would be interested in an extension of at most 5 SATA ports that can complete the 4 already existing on the motherboard. Do you have any stable version of such a board that I can use without possible problems?

Thank's alot :)

i use two jmb585 based extension cards, no special brand, just what was available at amazon at this time (with delivery through amazon and not delivered from china)

you can have a look here

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/35882-new-sataahci-cards-with-more-then-4-ports-and-no-sata-multiplexer/

i did not look for newer different cards lately, one interesting thing would be pcie 4x card with two jmb585 or asm1166 with a pcie bridge chip (jmb585/asm1166 only uses two pcie lanes so it would be nice to have a 4x pcie slot "full" used with two chips on one card, three chips if the pcie bridge is counted too (that does need some thorough looking as its often paired wit sata multiplexer like jmb575 to have more ports and that will not work with dsm)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again @IG-88

After studying the link you sent in detail, I decided on two models.

The first model would be this

https://www.amazon.com/BEYIMEI-Controller-Expansion-Non-Raid-Standard/dp/B08DFK4LZ7

And the second would be the version from silverstone ECS06.

From the tests done by you and from your experience, which of these would be more stable and easier to configure?

Thank's

Mihai

1 hour ago, SCMO said:

I decided on two models.

both ok, as asm1166 with 6 ports and not being a pcie 1x card

i use jmb585 but i also dont recall negative things about the asm1166 from other users

the asm1166 card i own is rarely used in a test system (lay forgotten right beside the two lsi sas controllers)

So I did some more testing the Sabrent USB 2.5GBe, I had to add the auto script to get it running after boot - I added a delay as it was NOT working and I suspected the USB driver hadn't yet loaded before the script was trying to enable the ethernet

sleep 1m
ifconfig eth3 up
synonet –dhcp eth3

All seemed well, did a few large transfers, left it streaming 4K movie.

Next I decided to update the files on the Microserver from the other unit using Karen's Replicator.  This is where it fails, so after a period of time doing the data transfers the ethernet stops talking.  Unplug the ethernet cable and re-insert, back running again (on the USB 2.5GBE).

So I decided to try the PCI-E 2.5GBe, Edimax (chips says RTL8125AG).  Sadly it's not seen in Xpenology.  I am running DSM 6.2-23739, is there an extras package for this version with an RTL8125 driver?  Do I need to move to a higher version of DSM?