XPEnology Community

Driver extension jun 1.03b/1.04b for DSM6.2.3 for 918+ / 3615xs / 3617xs

6 minutes ago, pocopico said:

Some modules required patching, but most of them complile fine using the original linux in-tree or vendor provided sources.

could you check you realtek 8125 source?

even with

ENABLE_PTP_SUPPORT = n
ENABLE_PTP_MASTER_MODE = n

it always trys to use r8125_ptp.h and fails with timecounter.h that is not part of kenel 3.10

6 minutes ago, pocopico said:

Most Realtek modules, if i recall correctly, compile fine OOTB. On the other hand, most Intel modules needed some tweeking. 

i did not get newer 40G drivers working but thats pretty rare to use and the only thing i have still in mind is intel e1000e needing
make CFLAGS_EXTRA=-DNO_PTP_SUPPORT

2 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

could you check you realtek 8125 source?

even with

ENABLE_PTP_SUPPORT = n
ENABLE_PTP_MASTER_MODE = n

it always trys to use r8125_ptp.h and fails with timecounter.h that is not part of kenel 3.10

i did not get newer 40G drivers working but thats pretty rare to use and the only thing i have still in mind is intel e1000e needing
make CFLAGS_EXTRA=-DNO_PTP_SUPPORT

I was thinking maybe to create another module development thread to discuss issues we face with compilation of the modules ? 

5 minutes ago, pocopico said:

I was thinking maybe to create another module development thread to discuss issues we face with compilation of the modules ? 

yes, that might help others too if we kind of document tweaks and we might find some people having done single driver tweaks for private use and contributing

On 12/20/2021 at 10:12 PM, blackmanga said:

I am having issues with the patched i915.ko  (downloaded from https://gofile.io/d/4fFJA5)

CPU i5 10400, MB Gigabyte H470M DS3H). Installed as usual and then used insmod to test that the i915 works (sadly its crashing).

Loader 1.04b with extra/extra2.lzma ver 13.3

DS 918+ 6.2.3 25426  (both this and U3 give a hard crash)

I used the 9BC8 version of the patched file (havent tried the others). I checked with lspci -nn to ensure that its the correct iGPU version for the processor on hand.

I have also tried the following DSM versions

a) Used the same patched i915.ko from the thread with DSM 6.2.0 - couldnt load modules (kernel version mismatch - symbols error)

b) DSM version 6.2.2 24922 (using juns i915.ko - which i manually patched 3E92 => 9BC8) - had a partial success. i do get /dev/dri and videostation does transcode, but i get soft lockups and NMI watchdog errors.

Any help will be really appreciated for DSM 6.2.3. dmesg output as attached

dmesg.txt 6.11 kB · 2 downloads

I have tried the same approach with intel i3 10100 and used insmod to load the patched modules as above.

am getting the same hard crash/kernel panic again

(loader 1.04b with extra lzma ver 13.3, 6.2.3 25426 U3, patched i915.ko)

@IG-88i have to thank you in advance for all the work you have done for the community so far. If you have any ideas on how to make this work, it will be really appreciated.

dmesg_i3_10100.rtf

I have motherboard MSI H510I PRO WIFi with Realtek ® 8125B 2.5Gbit/s LAN Controller. And it can't find nas, I see a message go to find.synology.com during installation.

Nothing happens when I visit the site, I also tried synology assistant. So that lan controller is not supported?

On 1/15/2022 at 4:05 PM, MDestiny said:

I have motherboard MSI H510I PRO WIFi with Realtek ® 8125B 2.5Gbit/s LAN Controller. And it can't find nas, I see a message go to find.synology.com during installation.

Nothing happens when I visit the site, I also tried synology assistant. So that lan controller is not supported?

did you user 918+ with the new extra/extra2.lzma v0.13.5? that version has the latest realtek driver for 8125 (9.007.01), so it should work (can't test here as i don't have a 8125 card)

On 1/12/2022 at 11:07 AM, blackmanga said:

I have tried the same approach with intel i3 10100 and used insmod to load the patched modules as above.

am getting the same hard crash/kernel panic again

(loader 1.04b with extra lzma ver 13.3, 6.2.3 25426 U3, patched i915.ko)

this cpu has 9BC8 and that was at least reported to no crash and (2 cases) ans working (one case)

-> one user positive feedback for a i5-10600T (8086:9BC8) to fully working with plex
-> one user negative feedback for a i5-10500 (8086:9BC8) to get /dev/dri devices but no transcoding with emby

you can try bios setting related to the iGPU, the first that comes to mind is to disable vt-d

the devices in the driver are like a table if you look for the device id's, you can undo my id patch and choose another id to patch to 9bc8, the right way would be to backport a newer driver but thats beyond my capability's (the newer intel driver is in syno's 6.2.3 source they published so its possible to compare that to the original intel code and get a diff that might help to port a newer driver to syno's kernel code of 6.2.3 

14 hours ago, yuyuko said:

can ds918+ support I255 b3 ?

i255 aka igc - intel 2.5G nic chip

as long as there is no driver source for older kernels (synlogy does not use kernel 5.x) we can't make driver

it wouldd need a someone with coding experience to backport the driver, afair there are 4.x redhat kernel containing a igc driver but there way of backport it was not compatible to synologys kernel but if someone wants to do it i guess that driver might be a good startingpoint

https://community.intel.com/t5/Embedded-Connectivity/No-I225-Linux-Driver-IGC-available/td-p/661813

I asked the driver developers directly and it seems that there are no plans to support the IGC drivers for kernel versions < 5.*

either use realtek 2.5G (r8125 based, cheap) or use a more common 10G nic (like mellanox from ebay or asus xg-c100c

a usb 3.0 based solution with r8152/56 might als be possible

rtl8192eu-linux-driver-realtek-4.4.x.zip

You can ask to add this driver to the image. This is Canyon CNP-WF518N3 wifi adapter driver based on Realtek RTL8192SU chipset.

I am using the following configuration:

Motheboard: GA-J1800N-D2H

RAM: 4Gb

HDD: 2x1Tb WD RAID 1

Device: DS3617xs

Bootloader: v1.03b

DSM: 6.2.3-25426

Edited by dkorsachev

3 hours ago, dkorsachev said:

rtl8192eu-linux-driver-realtek-4.4.x.zip 2.7 MB · 0 downloads

You can ask to add this driver to the image. This is Canyon CNP-WF518N3 wifi adapter driver based on Realtek RTL8192SU chipset.

I am using the following configuration:

Motheboard: GA-J1800N-D2H

RAM: 4Gb

HDD: 2x1Tb WD RAID 1

Device: DS3617xs

Bootloader: v1.03b

DSM: 6.2.3-25426

WLAN adapters are generally not supported on diskstations from model year 2016 onwards (DS116 is probably the last one). 

The management software in the DSM is simply missing. DS3615xs would be conceivable, but like everywhere, extremely slow data transfer.

7 hours ago, DSfuchs said:

WLAN adapters are generally not supported on diskstations from model year 2016 onwards (DS116 is probably the last one). 

The management software in the DSM is simply missing.

there are detection tables somewhere to detect a device as wifi, without that the driver might load but dsm will not show that as nic and even when added the file will be overwritten by updates, there might be no such files in dsm 7.0 anymore (i did not check)

these wifi drivers tend be huge because of firmware files and the size will result in extra.lzma not fitting on the 2nd partition of the loader (30MB and for 918+ there are two extra's so the extra has a max. of 15MB), as my intention is to not offer a loader (just some files made from open source) i'm not blowing up the extra over the default limit and making everyone resize the loader manually is not a good idea

i could compile the driver from your source and you would need to load it by yourself (like with insmod) or mod the extra.lzma yourself (i wrote a howto for that you should find in the tutorial section)

but without much more fiddling (a few hours maybe if you are familiar with linux and its log/config files)  you wont be able to use wifi, just loading the driver is a smaller part of the job - depending on what you need as a nas you could try open media vault instead of dsm/xpenology, wifi should be no problem on a normal linux, xpenology is only a hacked dsm with some tweaking and dsm is a appliance, not a normal linux distribution, so there are limits by default (especially as the loader is trying make it look like the dsm is ruining on a original synology hardware)

7 hours ago, DSfuchs said:

DS3615xs would be conceivable, but like everywhere, extremely slow data transfer.

i'm not aware of a speed penalty of 3615 compared with 3617, as long as the controller and disk are the same it should result in the same performance both use the same kernel in 6.2.x

lets say you use 4 x sata (ahci) and an 10G nic you should see the same performance when using jun#s 1.03b loader on that hardware

only differece might be 3617 supporting up to 16 cpu cores but that will usually make no difference for just handling disks and mdadm raid

the 918+ might get more as it can use nvme ssd's (but that can partly be compensated on 3615/17by RAM as dsm uses RAM as cache)

15 hours ago, IG-88 said:

there are detection tables somewhere to detect a device as wifi, without that the driver might load but dsm will not show that as nic and even when added the file will be overwritten by updates, there might be no such files in dsm 7.0 anymore (i did not check)

these wifi drivers tend be huge because of firmware files and the size will result in extra.lzma not fitting on the 2nd partition of the loader (30MB and for 918+ there are two extra's so the extra has a max. of 15MB), as my intention is to not offer a loader (just some files made from open source) i'm not blowing up the extra over the default limit and making everyone resize the loader manually is not a good idea

i could compile the driver from your source and you would need to load it by yourself (like with insmod) or mod the extra.lzma yourself (i wrote a howto for that you should find in the tutorial section)

but without much more fiddling (a few hours maybe if you are familiar with linux and its log/config files)  you wont be able to use wifi, just loading the driver is a smaller part of the job - depending on what you need as a nas you could try open media vault instead of dsm/xpenology, wifi should be no problem on a normal linux, xpenology is only a hacked dsm with some tweaking and dsm is a appliance, not a normal linux distribution, so there are limits by default (especially as the loader is trying make it look like the dsm is ruining on a original synology hardware)

i'm not aware of a speed penalty of 3615 compared with 3617, as long as the controller and disk are the same it should result in the same performance both use the same kernel in 6.2.x

lets say you use 4 x sata (ahci) and an 10G nic you should see the same performance when using jun#s 1.03b loader on that hardware

only differece might be 3617 supporting up to 16 cpu cores but that will usually make no difference for just handling disks and mdadm raid

the 918+ might get more as it can use nvme ssd's (but that can partly be compensated on 3615/17by RAM as dsm uses RAM as cache)

It's awfully slow EVERYWHERE. On real Diskstations as well as on Xpenology. It's not something to invest time in there. I have a handful of adapters, the same everywhere. If it is not about data exchange, I can recommend DS3615xs Xpenology.

1 час назад, DSfuchs сказал:

Это ужасно медленно ВЕЗДЕ. На реальных Diskstations, а также на Xpenology. Это не то, чтобы инвестировать время там. У меня есть несколько переходников, везде одинаковые. Если речь не идет об обмене данными, могу порекомендовать DS3615xs Xpenology.

It turns out that it makes no sense to mess with wif because of the slow connection?

With this driver, 918 can't identify the BCM57416 and BCM57406 NIC. I wander if it contains bnxt_en.ko? I tried to edit rc.modules, but it didn't work.

On 4/20/2020 at 8:56 AM, IG-88 said:

extra.lzma/extra2.lzma for loader 1.04b ds918+ DSM 6.2.3 v0.13.3

scsi/sas disks will have no  s.m.a.r.t. infos with lsi sas controllers (see edit2 above), newer atlantic.ko driver 2.3.4, r8125 added to rc.modules, used latest source for realtek drivers r8101/r8125/r8152/r8168/r8169, bna.ko firmware corrected

https://gofile.io/d/jy9Q99

SHA256: EF6F26999C006A29B3B37A7D40C694943100F0A9F53EC22D50E749F729347EC6

Edited by Zemmy
more info

9 hours ago, Zemmy said:

With this driver, 918 can't identify the BCM57416 and BCM57406 NIC. I wander if it contains bnxt_en.ko? I tried to edit rc.modules, but it didn't work.

must be some "newer" hardware no one asked about before, i use a dualport broadcom 10G myself but thats bnx2x

bnxt driver? overlook that one in syno's 3.10.x 4.4.x kernels i guess as is was trying to add common 10G nic's

@pocopico is also offering drivers for 6.2.x and i was planing to use some if them

could you download his driver and test if it works for you?

https://github.com/pocopico/4.4.59plus-modules/blob/main/bnxt_en.ko

i would include some of his drivers  to my extra.lzma (that one too), can you give feedback here if that one is working for you (loads and detects hardware)

9 hours ago, IG-88 said:

i would include some of his drivers  to my extra.lzma (that one too), can you give feedback here if that one is working for you (loads and detects hardware)

I don't know how to integrate the bnxt_en.ko file into the extra.lzma, but I can learn.

Maybe takes a couple of weeks.

Many thanks!

I just found that there is a bnxt_en.ko in extra2.lzma. Should I add this one into extra.lzma and replace the old one in extra2.lzma?

15 hours ago, IG-88 said:

https://github.com/pocopico/4.4.59plus-modules/blob/main/bnxt_en.ko

9 hours ago, Zemmy said:

I just found that there is a bnxt_en.ko in extra2.lzma. Should I add this one into extra.lzma and replace the old one in extra2.lzma?

funny, so i did compile the driver but forgot to add it at some point

the drivers in both extra's are the same, but to be loaded properly they need to be added to the rc.modules in the extra(2).lzma

also its needed to check if the driver uses firmware files, these would also be needed in the extra and added to rc.modules

thats easy and will only take e few minutes, i can do it today and will have a link ready later this evening

edit: no firmware involved in this driver, just a deoendecy to vxlan but thats part of dsm already

edit2: https://gofile.io/d/VvlUdC   for new 918+ 13.6 containing bnxt_en

Edited by IG-88