XPEnology Community

Driver extension jun 1.03b/1.04b for DSM6.2.3 for 918+ / 3615xs / 3617xs

16 hours ago, adamk said:

Thanks so much for sharing!

My device :ASROCK J3455,1.03b 3615xs,6.2.3-25426 Update 3,TP-NG421(R8125B) ,extra3615v011test

The R8125B network adapter can be identified, but the ip address cannot be obtained by DHCP, and the static ip address is also inaccessible

Is there an update that can solve this problem? I look forward to your answer or email, thank you very much! email:cywang@vip.qq.com

My Xpenology is  ASUS B250i ,  same TP-NG421 2.5G as you have ,DS918+ 6.2.3-25426 U2 , works OK both in baremetal and VM, extra drive 0.13.3

Been searching and searching.. trying to help my dad update his NAS.. He's running an older Sandy Bridge thats has 1.02b as DS3615xs on DSM 6.1.7.. works good.. but trying to move to 6.2.3/4 with 1.03b is turning out to be a challenge..

My initial test I took out the existing drives and put in a drive I didn't care about. Booted with the new USB stick.. that went ok, but no network.  We're trying to stick with DS3615xs to avoid migration process.. that and it's and older sandy bridge cpu.. 

I'm copying over the test extra.lzma and replacing the existing one.. but to no avail.. How do I see logs or boot issues? only seeing the nice little 'static' page on boot. 

1 hour ago, timgjr said:

I'm copying over the test extra.lzma and replacing the existing one..

1st you dont mention what systemboard is used, that would give information about nic and storage controller

maybe just try the loader with its default extra.lzma, to find the system in network you would not even need to edit the grub.cfg, the usb vid/pid comes only into the equation when installing the *.pat file to disk (and later when booting the installed system)

6.2.4 is not working so stick to 6.2.3 when  installing

if you find it in network you would edit grub.cfg to match usb's vid/pid and install after this (mac or serial can be changed later if needed)

but to no avail.. How do I see logs or boot issues? only seeing the nice little 'static' page on boot

all useful output is send to the serial port, so you would need serial port on he system, a null modem cable and a console like putty on the other end

Edited by IG-88

8 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

1st you dont mention what systemboard is used, that would give information about nic and storage controller

maybe just try the loader with its default extra.lzma, to find the system in network you would not even need to edit the grub.cfg, the usb vid/pid comes only into the equation when installing the *.pat file to disk (and later when booting the installed system)

6.2.4 is not working so stick to 6.2.3 when  installing

if you find it in network you would edit grub.cfg to match usb's vid/pid and install after this (mac or serial can be changed later if needed)

all useful output is send to the serial port, so you would need serial port on he system, a null modem cable and a console like putty on the other end

Hi @IG-88, Thanks for quick response.. The board is a ASUS P8H61-I R2.0 with Realtek 8111F NIC and Intel H61 Express Chipset

I'll give the base 3615xs image a try and see if we have better luck.. I did try it first, but had modified the .cfg to include s/n and mac address. Should have mentioned that.. 

Thanks again!

29 minutes ago, timgjr said:

The board is a ASUS P8H61-I R2.0 with Realtek 8111F NIC

the nic is no problem and should work ootb with te default extra.lzma

as its uefi bios you will need to use csm mode and also need to beoo the non uefi usb boot device (only showing up after starting with csm active)

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

using the unmodified loader prevents problems with editing grub.cfg like typos, or not using a unix aware editor, makes it easier to narrow down the rral problem

Edited by IG-88

hi, thanks for the great driver files!  
I found a potential bug on the driver for NIC i219v, hope it can be solved in the future:

I am using Asrock H310m-itx with i3-8100, and H410m-itx with G6400, both have i219v NIC, they can be well recognized by the proposed DSM drivers. 

But the download speed through SMB will be limited at 80-90MB/s no matter what settings I made (BIOS or DSM), and the upload speeds for the two motherboards are both right at around 114MB/s (I have a well verified 1G network.)

When I insert an intel 9400PT NIC, then the download speed recovers to 114MB/s. So I assume there could be a bug on the driver for i219v.

I tried loader 1.04b DS918+ DSM6.2.3-25426 update3, and loader 1.03b DS3617xs_DSM 6.1.7-25426 update3, both have the same bug for dowload speed.

Edited by kema

4 hours ago, kema said:

I am using Asrock H310m-itx with i3-8100, and H410m-itx with G6400, both have i219v NIC, they can be well recognized by the proposed DSM drivers. 

But the download speed through SMB will be limited at 80-90MB/s no matter what settings I made (BIOS or DSM), and the upload speeds for the two motherboards are both right at around 114MB/s (I have a well verified 1G network.)

So I assume there could be a bug on the driver for i219v.

how did you rule out thats not related to your onboard nic? can still be hardware/implementation problems with the board

anyway, i'm not coding the driver, there will be a newer e1000e driver in the next package, if that does not work for you and you still convinced its a driver bug not already under known issues by intel you can try the source repository for a bug report

http://sourceforge.net/projects/e1000

atm its version 3.6.0 from 9/2019 and there would be e1000e-3.8.7 in the next release and there was nothing newer since 10/2020, there seem to be a spring/autumn cycle  in the releases but i would not expect to much from a new 2021 version, will be mostly about fixes for new kernel versions

Hi!

From first post this topic I got the next information:

Цитата

mpt3sas: LSI MPT SAS 12Gb/s Host Adapters SAS3004/SAS3008/SAS3108

I can buy LSI SAS 9300-8e for expand storage, tell me if this controller will work with my setup. 

Edited by Amoureux

12 hours ago, Amoureux said:

I can buy LSI SAS 9300-8e for expand storage, tell me if this controller will work with my setup. 

if you google that you will find broadcom's specs and in there you will see its SAS3008

https://www.broadcom.com/products/storage/host-bus-adapters/sas-9300-8e#specifications

(as i/o controller)

then you look up that chip as pci vendor id and will find 1000:0097

https://devicehunt.com/view/type/pci/vendor/1000/device/0097

now you open the mpt3sas.ko, file you have in the extra.lzma or in dsm' *.pat file, with a (hex) editor (notepad++, ultraedit, ...), search ascii for "vermagic" an right above that you will find the supported pci id's with "alias=" like "alias=pci:v00001000d00000097sv*sd*bc*sc*i*" there is v for vendor and d for device ...

but as sas3008 it the most basic lsi sas3  and that mpt3sas stand for sas3 it will be supported when a mpt3sas.ko is present

if there is only a mpt2sas.ko its not likely that sas3 is supported (mpt3sas usually contains all the devices supported by mpt2sas but never the other way around)

its a generic method because you did not specify the dsm type  you are talking about for loader 1.02b (dsm 6.1)

its also possible to use the "modinfo" command on a normal linux (dsm as a appliance does not have it) to get these informations

you would just copy the *.ko file to a normal linux file system and call modinfo with the path to that *.ko file to get the info's

Edited by IG-88

11 час назад, IG-88 сказал:

)

its a generic method because you did not specify the dsm type you are talking about for loader 1.02b (dsm 6.1)

I apologize, I was wrong with the topic. I asked to move my post to another topic.

my setup is specified in the signature. DS918+, dsm 6.2.3-25426 update 3, Jun's loader 1.04b + extra 0.13.3

2 hours ago, Amoureux said:

my setup is specified in the signature. DS918+, dsm 6.2.3-25426 update 3, Jun's loader 1.04b + extra 0.13.3

still valid what i wrote about that sas3008 its the most basic sas3 and 918+comes with a mpt3sas.ko in the extra/extra2 but with 918+ there are special risk with lsi sas controllers, you should read the 1.03b/1.04b driver thread, 1st post, its either risking data, or not having disk hibernation or not having smart and sn (also risky)

as your board has pcie 3.0 and 4 slots (16x, 8x, two 1x) you can use ahci controllers instead jmb585 or asm1166 for the non 1x slots and jmb582 for the 1x slots you would still have enough performance without extra risks and id 16 disks is you goal then you would still have a 16x/8x slot for a 10G nic (my board is very similar and i use it that way, and with a m.2 nvme to pcie adapter its still possible to squeeze out a additional 4x slot but with two of them you could also use nvme r/w cache)

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/35882-new-sataahci-cards-with-more-then-4-ports-and-no-sata-multiplexer/

or consider 3617 with its native lsi sas support, but you loose i915 driver for hardware transcoding that way

• Like 1

On 3/7/2021 at 10:10 PM, timgjr said:

Been searching and searching.. trying to help my dad update his NAS.. He's running an older Sandy Bridge thats has 1.02b as DS3615xs on DSM 6.1.7.. works good.. but trying to move to 6.2.3/4 with 1.03b is turning out to be a challenge..

My initial test I took out the existing drives and put in a drive I didn't care about. Booted with the new USB stick.. that went ok, but no network.  We're trying to stick with DS3615xs to avoid migration process.. that and it's and older sandy bridge cpu.. 

I'm copying over the test extra.lzma and replacing the existing one.. but to no avail.. How do I see logs or boot issues? only seeing the nice little 'static' page on boot. 

You must connect serial rs-232 cable if you have this option on your motherboard :-) 

I try run a DSM 6.2.3  with 1.04b on Dell T1600 with Sandy Bridge CPU and i think this configuration have a problem with ethernet and/or CPU

I care to using  NVMe cache.

Anybody use this configuration and can tell this is working?

50 minutes ago, kkrzyysztoff said:

I try run a DSM 6.2.3  with 1.04b on Dell T1600 with Sandy Bridge CPU and i think this configuration have a problem with ethernet and/or CPU

I care to using  NVMe cache.

for loader 1.04b/918+ you will need 4th gen cpu, haswel or above, you sandy bridge would only work for 3615/17

thats documented here:

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

so you dont have driver problems as it would not boot with 1.04b and with a serial connection you should be able to see that as there would be nothing after grub and jun's test

just try 1.03b to see the difference (needs csm mode in uefi bios and non-uefi (legacy) usb boot device - alternative can be 1.02b, see link above)

Thanks for the reply, now I check and have an E3-1225 CPU in Dell Precision T1600 and Ethernet 82579LM and when I try to run 1.04b / 918 + bootloader find.synology.com does not find my NAS

I ran Ubuntu on this machine and ran the command in the terminal lspci -k and showed in the processor use the kernel i915 driver in the ethernet kernel show e1000e
What should I do to run 1.04b / 918 +.

If I wrote in wrong topic sorry.

33 minutes ago, kkrzyysztoff said:

What should I do to run 1.04b / 918 +.

buy a newer system as your 2nd gen cpu will not run with 918+

you alternative might be to use open media vault, that would be able to make the i915 available for jellyfin/plex/emby

the cpu (wehen having a i915 capable gpu) should be able to decode and encode avc

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quick_Sync_Video#Hardware_decoding_and_encoding

I don't care for transcoding I want use nvme cache
Wiki say is CPU E31225 it Haswell. I don't understand why can't running 1.04b / 918 +
or maybe other option activation nvme cache.
On my firts NAS i have a DS3617 and PCIe card adapter to NVMe in terminal i see this drive but i can't mount this drive to see in web interfejses xpenology

7 hours ago, kkrzyysztoff said:

I try run a DSM 6.2.3  with 1.04b on Dell T1600 with Sandy Bridge CPU

5 hours ago, kkrzyysztoff said:

Wiki say is CPU E31225 it Haswell

change of mind?

2nd Sandy Bridge

3rd Ivy Bridge

4th Haswell

dell spec says 2nd gen intel for T1600

https://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/precn/en/precision-t1600-spec-sheet.pdf

intel says sandy bridge for E3-1225

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/52270/intel-xeon-processor-e3-1225-6m-cache-3-10-ghz.html

so i go with 2nd gen for your system and thats the reason why its not working with loader 1.04b

for this system the way for getting nvme usable is a hypervisor like proxmoy or esxi and map the device as ssd to a dsm vm running 1.03b 3615 or 3617

4 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

change of mind?

2nd Sandy Bridge

3rd Ivy Bridge

4th Haswell

dell spec says 2nd gen intel for T1600

https://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/precn/en/precision-t1600-spec-sheet.pdf

intel says sandy bridge for E3-1225

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/52270/intel-xeon-processor-e3-1225-6m-cache-3-10-ghz.html

so i go with 2nd gen for your system and thats the reason why its not working with loader 1.04b

for this system the way for getting nvme usable is a hypervisor like proxmoy or esxi and map the device as ssd to a dsm vm running 1.03b 3615 or 3617

Yes you are right, I am thinking of changing the CPU, but is that a good way?
 Thank you for your interest

Just now, kkrzyysztoff said:

Yes you are right, I am thinking of changing the CPU, but is that a good way?

usually it was tick/tock with intel and 3rd gen is tick, 2nd and 3rd gen cpu's will be working in this board but not 4th gen - thats the reason i wrote above you need a new system as i already knew that you can't have 4th gen with a system running a 2nd gen cpu

On 6/6/2020 at 10:43 PM, IG-88 said:

good, anything above 1GBit networks is really a must have for now days nas (i prefer 10G but even 2.5G would be a noticeable step up for must people

no, i dont see a reason to put anymore work into this (would be better to spend more time in documentation about the state of the drivers for 6.2.3)

kind of a closed chapter now as synology is back to "normal" with 6.2.3  (and having three different extra version for 918+ was not really that nice, having a "universal" i915 driver make things much easier)

i will do the same realtek drivers for 3615 and 3617 and 6.2.3 this weekend

I'm a little confused with the different configurations. I'm going to install DSM 6.2.3 on a new (HW-transcoding not needed) bare metal with one dual RTL8125 nic. The only combination that worked for me for just one start is:

- Jun's 1.04B for 918+

- your Driver extension 13.3

- Jun's original rd.gz / zImage

(those from DSM_DS918 + _24922.pat don't work)

After the installation I am stuck in a "recoverable state" loop. What things do I have to pack together to get it going?

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, DSfuchs said:

I'm a little confused

me too, you dont give much detail about your hardware, what cpu/systemboard, any additional controllers? is the r8125 a added 2nd nic or onboard?

try using synology assistant and check the versions of loader

recoverable can be a mismatch of installed dsm and loader, like having 6.2.3 on disk and bootig with a vanilla loader from jun's image that contains the kernel of 6.2.0

letting dsm fix it does result in a bootable system - but maybe your state is different

if you see 6.2.4 with assistant then start from scratch, copy img of the loader again and remove partitions from disk

1 hour ago, DSfuchs said:

(those from DSM_DS918 + _24922.pat don't work)

for what reason you put a diffrent dsm 6.2.2 on the loader? it sure does not work as the drivers for 6.2.2 and 6.2.3 are different

just stick to the versions in this thread, if you want to copy a kernel to the loader then use a matching 6.2.3 files

- CPU/Systemboard is J1900/Q1900 (works fine with on board nic and 6.2.3

- no additional controllers and starting with partition-cleared SATA HDD

- versions of loader is 6.2.2.24922 according to your instructions on page 1

I'm looking for any configuration that runs from scratch/zero with RTL8125 nic.

14 minutes ago, DSfuchs said:

- CPU/Systemboard is J1900/Q1900 (works fine with on board nic and 6.2.3

- no additional controllers and starting with partition-cleared SATA HDD

- versions of loader is 6.2.2.24922 according to your instructions on page 1

I'm looking for any configuration that runs from scratch/zero with RTL8125 nic.

It may be that the scenario is too simple to read out a functional combination here.

4 minutes ago, DSfuchs said:

It may be that the scenario is too simple to read out a functional combination here.

Must I take an other J3455 systemboard, or a Loader v1.03b DS3615xs? if so, which file version should it be (rd.gz zImage extra.lzma extra2.lzma) on partition 2 of the boot-stick.