XPEnology Community

Driver extension jun 1.03b/1.04b for DSM6.2.3 for 918+ / 3615xs / 3617xs

Okey, so after some more research it seems that there are drivers patches that could make all these cards work in HBA mode, people are talking about this around the internet on other forums, I would believe it is the drivers provided by Dell for RHEL6/7 and SUSE ES 12/15, and that these drivers are not in the main tree of the linux kernel, I'm waiting for confirmation from Dell about this, also what card that can work as a replacement for the server, I guess a PERC card has better integration to the BIOS and server.

If it is in those drivers provided by Dell, can you just help me with resources on how I can compile them, or maybe try compile them urself?

I can check the version of the Dell driver as they should be based on LSI's drivers, what version are you using?

I'd be happy to try a newer driver

I noticed the logs says "resetting fusion adapter", but isn't it really an invader adapter? 

Edited by Eeso

Hello

Sorry for my english but I can now send all details about configuration and my experience : 

Details :

Supermicro X11SCH-F 

16 Gb RAM ECC (Kingston KSM24ED8/16ME)

Core I3-8300

NIC : Asus (aquantia) XG-C100C (10Gbe)

SN : Synology 918+ official

MAC : Synology official

Drives : 4x3To WD RED EFRX (CMR) + 4x4To WD EFAX (SMR)

USB 2.0 key Kingston Datatraveler 32Go

What i did in BIOS: 

- Enabled Igfx card in BIOS (default disabled)

- Set primary VGA : onboard

- Disabled 1 NIC (2 onboard) so to have only 2 NICs (1 onboard, 1 Asus)

- C1E state and stuff around : enable

- EFI Boot (had choice between EFI and legacy or both)

Fresh install with last 918+ .PAT from official synology website

and of course, these lovely drivers and 1.04B loader from IG-88 (many thanks Boy ! I've been trying a lot of configs all week long...)

On 4/20/2020 at 2:56 AM, IG-88 said:

for special purpose and tests, extra.lzma/extra2.lzma for loader 1.04b ds918+ DSM 6.2.3 v0.12.1 - this version shows s.m.a.r.t. info and serial of disks for lsi scsi/sas but might corrupt the raid when disk hibernation is active (see warning above)

http://www.filedropper.com/extra918plusv0121

https://gofile.io/d/h5VBSM

SHA256: 9089D38A4975AB212553DA7E35CE54027DE4F84D526A74A46A089FC7E88C1693

PLEX : up and running with version from official Repo (no manual update yet...)

Decode/transcode HW : OK ( 4K HDR10 to 1080P runs CPU @ 10~15 % )

NIC control : 300Mb/s to 400 from 2 ASUS XG-C100C

=> one running on Xpenology RAID_5, other running in QNAP TVS_873 RAID_5

Transfer method : CIFS transfer with mounting distant QNAP folder in Filestation

S.M.A.R.T : runs fine

Hibernation mode : runs fine

WOL : runs fine through ASUS. Didn't try with onboard NIC

Please note that I have red the whole discussion here from one message to the last... almost 2 times !!!

The only think I can say is : Thank you IG-88 and Jun for all your work and time providing all kind of solutions. 

Edited by muld626

2 hours ago, muld626 said:

for special purpose and tests, extra.lzma/extra2.lzma for loader 1.04b ds918+ DSM 6.2.3 v0.12.1

why this one, the 13.x would be the recent version, the older is for people wanting to risk there raid integrity with sas controllers

(not your problem as you use all 8 ports ahci i guess)

NIC control : 300Mb/s to 400 from 2 ASUS XG-C100C

=> one running on Xpenology RAID_5, other running in QNAP TVS_873 RAID_5

Transfer method : CIFS transfer with mounting distant QNAP folder in Filestation

dis you try to use 9k jumbo frames? might give you 200 MB/s more with bigger files

Please note that I have red the whole discussion here from one message to the last... almost 2 times !!!

thats a lot to read and might contain a lot of not so useful stuff but at least it will give a picture that its far from problem free and its good to understand how its working (especially when updating or wanting some additional hardware like 10G nic or 5G usb 3.0 nic)

it can be helpful to read the 1st post in the 1.03b/104b dsm 6.2.2 thread too and the older threads 1st posts have a still valid list of network and storage hardware that is supported by the extra drivrs

57 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

dis you try to use 9k jumbo frames? might give you 200 MB/s more with bigger files

Hello Sir

Yes I did ! But my disk aren't that fresh and I'm pretty sure the problem comes from this side. In the other hand, DSM is still veryfing integrity of the volume so it could be another problem as well. 

Well, i didn't know there was a v13.0..... :(  My bad !    But i dind't found a topic telling clearly all possibility about loaders/extra lzma/ and so on.. I had to read a lot of stuff. But it has been benefic to me ;-) That's the reason I posted my topic in case someone else wondering....

Will my system rock solid  with V12.0 ? Or do I have to change something ? TY Mate. I appreciate all your work, really !

1 hour ago, muld626 said:

Well, i didn't know there was a v13.0..... :( My bad !    But i dind't found a topic telling clearly all possibility about loaders/extra lzma/ and so on.. I had to read a lot of stuff. But it has been benefic to me ;-) That's the reason I posted my topic in case someone else wondering....

Of course I saw your file but .... believe me or not,  I didn't see anything speaking about NICs, and all the stuff in V12. So i believed some drivers would be totally different and I have to say that I tested V12 without conviction... Because like I told you, I didn't find the clear list of included drivers :-((

There is such an amount of topics everywhere... But I decided to have full confidence in Jun and ..you. No one else  ! :)

It worked. Now I'm just wondering what will happen when I'll update to 6.2.4 or else. Does the drivers will still work ? no ? Maybe ? 

1 hour ago, muld626 said:

It worked. Now I'm just wondering what will happen when I'll update to 6.2.4 or else. Does the drivers will still work ? no ? Maybe ? 

the older 12.x might have just a slightly older driver version, if you nic works its ok, i would not expect a better performance from a newer driver and the potential problem about drives losing date when using disk hibernation is only about sas/scsi not relevant for ahci, no reason to change anything

as synology is in control its only possible to speculate but as 7.0 at least had a alpha preview and is already running on systems of (brave?) people its to expect synology will have a beta shortly (this year) and the launch will be in q1/2021 - that implies there will  be no new 6.2.x version, at least no drastic changes in kernel source code as most/all development goes into 7.0, but as seen with 6.2.1/6.2.2 even a simple compile option of the kernel can have consequences for the drivers

the only thing for sure is that we cant use 7.0 with the existing loaders, i'm no expert but  as far as i think the loader works it has a pre-boot kernel for laying out the fake hardware and then loads the original kernel of dsm, as the 7.0 has a new version "number for the kernel and things like this are checked when loading the dsm 7.0 kernel so it will fail (and also drivers), if the old way of the hack(s?) still work with 7.0 it would need at least a new pre-boot kernel

I know you are very busy at this forum, very nice of you

I don't know if you don't have time to answer anything of my question or just don't have anything to answer

Anyway, you said eariler we could try newer drivers, I have ordered a HBA330 but I can still try experimenting with experimental drivers if you have time for that, I will probably be able to do some of that for a few more weeks

18 minutes ago, Eeso said:

, I have ordered a HBA330 but I can still try experimenting

according to this list it has this vendor and device id

vid:did 1000:0097
svid:sdid 1028:1f45

and this is supported by the extra.lzma 11.2 for 3617

a newer driver for lsi/avago controllers are not on my todo list, there are problems with sas on 918+ and that might be to solve if possible but as i cant code there is not much i can do, flicking through the kernel code is like walking through a egyptian king's tomb, the hieroglyphs are interesting and some time you get the impression you might decipher something ...

the problems with that seems to be somewhere in the scsi_transport_sas.ko or raid_class.ko

jun's old files show hdd health, serial and temp but might break raids when using disk hibernation and the ones made from the 918+ kernel source with 918+ kernel config will not break raids but have no hdd health, serial and temp

maybe there are some special synology specific kernel parameters that need to be set and/or some sas specific settings in synoinfo.conf

playing with this stuff might take huge amount of time when you just guess and try, and even if you play with that, when these stuff needs to be in the kernel and 918+ does not have these parts you might never getting anywhere

3617 is working stable with lsi/avago and has a not to old driver for sas3 cards (like yours)

if hardware transcoding is a thing then i can add the nvidia drivers that correspond with the NVIDIARuntimeLibrary spk and together with that it should be possible to use plex or emby for transcoding

btw. even the older driver in 3615 seems to support that card

what exactly do you wan to test?

The H730 didn't support having the card in JBOD/HBA mode with disks attached, giving the errors I've reported earlier, so that is what I want to test

Dell releases own drivers for the card, I think these are the ones that will work as people I've found on the internet give hints about that it works when recompiling some drivers for the kernel, I will confirm this with the technical support at Dell

They only release the drivers and the source for Red Hat and SUSE, but I know the kernel well enough to do backporting, I've also done this in the past for a bunch of other drivers, I thought I can try to contribute with something to this forum

If you have some fast links on how I compile these modules you do for Xpenology / Jun's loader that would help alot

I have no need for nvidia drivers or transcoding, ty tho

5 hours ago, Mary Andrea said:

Hi IG-88, Should I put extra2.lzma too,

maybe you downloaded the wrong version, extra2.lzma only exists in 918+ driver pack (loader 1.04b), 3615/17 only have one extra.lzma

6 hours ago, Mary Andrea said:

1.03b, DS3617xs (6.2.3) working by USBnet Realtek ??

if you expect a specific answer you might want to be more specific about the hardware, like usb vid:pid or the chip used

if its the adapter from this thread (0bda:8156)

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/36454-adding-an-255-gb-net-adapter-on-xpenology-nas/?do=findComment&comment=176526

then yes, the id's are in it driver is v2.12 r8152.ko (latest is v2.14, so no major number that might indicate bigger changes)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IG-88 said:

maybe you downloaded the wrong version, extra2.lzma only exists in 918+ driver pack (loader 1.04b), 3615/17 only have one extra.lzma / it driver is v2.12 r8152.ko (latest is v2.14, so no major number that might indicate bigger changes)

thk so much, I've reading all threats about, but I was a bit confuse with extra2.lzma. I understood. 

Hi,

I just upgraded my HP gen8 to DSM6.2.3 25426 with ds3615xs loader 1.03 & extra ds3615xs v0.11test. System is running well...but the usb-2.5g ethernet by realtek 8156  can't be viewed in network control pannel in DSM. SSH into DSM and input commad 'lsusb'  as attached. Any suggestion to fix this?

232526.png

4 hours ago, hehe8899 said:

realtek 8156  can't be viewed in network control pannel in DSM. SSH into DSM and input commad 'lsusb'  as attached. Any suggestion to fix this?

driver looks ok, you can check dmesg for log messages about link speed

did you reboot? usb nic's will only show up in the gui after a reboot (or maybe after restarting the network services manually)

On 4/20/2020 at 2:56 AM, IG-88 said:

same as above but for the new driver in 6.2.3 Update2

Hi @IG-88

I load your moded Module to my running 6.3.2 Update 2 DSM  but after this the system don't boot anymore, 2-3 after the boot loader info is showed the screen goes blank whithout a cursor or any thing and the nas is no reachable on the network.

6 hours ago, XDOM said:

I load your moded Module to my running 6.3.2 Update 2 DSM  but after this the system don't boot anymore, 2-3 after the boot loader info is showed the screen goes blank whithout a cursor or any thing and the nas is no reachable on the network.

please don't cross post

i answered that here

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/12952-dsm-62-loader/?do=findComment&comment=179573

17 hours ago, IG-88 said:

driver looks ok, you can check dmesg for log messages about link speed

did you reboot? usb nic's will only show up in the gui after a reboot (or maybe after restarting the network services manually)

reboot & dmesg as following. And the peer openwrt router show link entered into forwarding state.

截屏2020-11-15 下午9.13.35.png

截屏2020-11-15 下午9.16.22.png

2 hours ago, Three said:

适用于i3-10100?有人尝试过吗?

i'm sure i did not write my comment in the 1st post  in kanji's

but i'd say check the pci device id of the cpu in question on ark inel

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark.html

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/199283/intel-core-i3-10100-processor-6m-cache-up-to-4-30-ghz.html

choose the modded driver by this  gpu device id and keep in mind its a very crude hack that might not work stable and can fail in the middle of something or a certain codec, there is a reason why intel assigned a new device id, its a different device

Edited by IG-88

14 hours ago, hehe8899 said:

reboot & dmesg as following. And the peer openwrt router show link entered into forwarding state.

截屏2020-11-15 下午9.13.35.png

截屏2020-11-15 下午9.16.22.png

Also no network control pannel in DSM. And the peer openwrt router reboot again and again...

BUT the interface 2.5g of peer openwrt router works well with same realtek USB-2.5g of PC as following. I am confusing...ANY suggestion?

屏幕截图 2020-11-16 120633.png

50 minutes ago, hehe8899 said:

Also no network control pannel in DSM. And the peer openwrt router reboot again and again...

BUT the interface 2.5g of peer openwrt router works well with same realtek USB-2.5g of PC as following. I am confusing...ANY suggestion?

屏幕截图 2020-11-16 120633.png

Should i insert usb-2.5g mac address into grug.cfg? @IG-88

14 hours ago, hehe8899 said:

Should i insert usb-2.5g mac address into grug.cfg?

yes, it cant do any harm but i guess the problem might be the "unknown" entry you have in the log from the r8152 driver

what exact brand is it?

with the extra.lzma you have the driver is 2.12 and in the source there is a table of internal id's going up to Rev11

case 0x7030:
        version = RTL_VER_11;

the latest 2.14 driver has you id and goes up to 14

case 0x7030:
		version = RTL_VER_11;
		break;
	case 0x7400:
		version = RTL_VER_12;
		break;
	case 0x7410:
		version = RTL_VER_13;
		break;
	case 0x6400:
		version = RTL_VER_14;
		break;

that might be about new hardware revisions and that will need a newer driver as the default mode the driver is using in this case does no seem to work

i will provide a newer driver later (next day's?)

edit: the 2.14 driver does not compile anymore with kernel 3.10.105, looks like they messed up with the compatibility as it uses functions not present in this kernel (netdevice.h) and it does not compile because of undefined variable , same goes for former 2.13

its 2.12 for now on 3615/17, the new 2.14 driver compiles against the newer 4.4.59 source of the 918+ so at least 918+ will get a newer driver

Edited by IG-88

Hi all,

I'm in the process of upgrading my Xpenology custom NAS (details in signature) and I've bought a Sonnet 10Gbe card , which it should be based on Aquantia 107 chip, and I've inserted its MAC into the grub.cfg file as MAC2.  DSM is 6.2.3 update 2 (25426) for DS918+ , latest loader 1.04b with latest extra files (v. 1.13.3). But I still don't see the card... is it among those supported? 

3 hours ago, Hackaro said:

I'm in the process of upgrading my Xpenology custom NAS (details in signature) and I've bought a Sonnet 10Gbe card , which it should be based on Aquantia 107 chip, and I've inserted its MAC into the grub.cfg file as MAC2.  DSM is 6.2.3 update 2 (25426) for DS918+ , latest loader 1.04b with latest extra files (v. 1.13.3). But I still don't see the card... is it among those supported? 

as there is still a 2 nic limit in the base config of 918+ you would need to edit synoinfo.conf to make a 3rd/4th nic work

"...

for Instructions about installing or updating please read "Driver extension jun 1.03b/1.04b for DSM6.2.2 for 3615xs / 3617xs / 918+"
if i have time i will write more in this place

..:"

so look here for details about the nic's

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/21663-driver-extension-jun-103b104b-for-dsm622-for-3615xs-3617xs-918/

look for

"...

!!! still network limit in 1.04b loader for 918+ !!!

..."

if you want to know if the driver works please check the dmesg log and you can also use lspci to check what driver is used for pcie devices (lspci -k)

as a simple test you can also simply disable one of the onboard nic's and check if the 10G nic is working

Edited by IG-88