XPEnology Community

Driver extension jun 1.03b/1.04b for DSM6.2.3 for 918+ / 3615xs / 3617xs

On 5/22/2020 at 6:28 PM, IG-88 said:

thats just a small change in synoinfo.conf that a documented, i use 3 nic's in my 918+ system

i reference to this in the 1st post in the thread about 6.2.2

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/12679-progress-of-62-loader/page/9/?tab=comments#comment-92682

I've set those settings in files but i350T2 still can't work (system only detect 2 nic's(MB lanport) ) 

gruf.cfg 👇
set sn=XXXXX
set mac1=XXXXXXXXB402
set mac2=XXXXXXXXB403
set mac3=XXXXXXXXB404
set mac4=XXXXXXXXB405
set netif_num=1

/etc/synoinfo.conf 👇

change:

maxlanport="4"

add:

eth2_mtu="1500"

eth3_mtu="1500"

eth2_wol_options="d"

eth3_wol_options="d"

same with  /etc.default/synoinfo.conf

Is that extra.lzma problem with drive?

or DS918+ 6.2.3 adds new settings to limite nic num support over 2 

On 5/22/2020 at 6:28 PM, IG-88 said:

thats just a small change in synoinfo.conf that a documented, i use 3 nic's in my 918+ system

i reference to this in the 1st post in the thread about 6.2.2

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/12679-progress-of-62-loader/page/9/?tab=comments#comment-92682

yes i guessed that from your cpu, but the limit is not about "threads"  ts just cores, the kernel config states 8 cores for 918+ so if you disable HT you can have all 6 cores used in 918+ and would loose only minor performance as HT is far from that much of a gain

I've set those settings in files but i350T2 still can't work (system only detect 2 nic's(MB lanport) ) 

gruf.cfg 👇
set sn=XXXXX
set mac1=XXXXXXXXB402
set mac2=XXXXXXXXB403
set mac3=XXXXXXXXB404
set mac4=XXXXXXXXB405
set netif_num=1

/etc/synoinfo.conf 👇

change:

maxlanport="4"

add:

eth2_mtu="1500"

eth3_mtu="1500"

eth2_wol_options="d"

eth3_wol_options="d"

same with  /etc.default/synoinfo.conf

or DS918+ 6.2.3 adds new settings to limite nic num support over 2 .

10 hours ago, yuyuko said:

gruf.cfg 👇
set sn=XXXXX
set mac1=XXXXXXXXB402
set mac2=XXXXXXXXB403
set mac3=XXXXXXXXB404
set mac4=XXXXXXXXB405
set netif_num=1

netif_num is the number of network cards so it should be 4 in your case

set netif_num=1 -> set netif_num=4

but i dont think thats the problem as jun checks later in the grub.cfg and sets it

if common_add_option mac1; then set netif_num=1; fi
if common_add_option mac2; then set netif_num=2; fi
if common_add_option mac3; then set netif_num=3; fi
if common_add_option mac4; then set netif_num=4; fi
common_add_option netif_num

what you get with "lspci -k"?

there should be

2x igb for the i350T2

1 x igb for i211at (onboard)

1 x e1000e for i219v (onboard)

jun did not set it to a higher value in the patch (inside extra.lzma), its the same as with the 12 drives in 3615/17 its not in the patch so it keeps the way as in the original but you can change manually and this change will be kept as long as the synoinfo.conf is not replaced, like when installing a bigger update (200-300MB *.pat file), in this case all things in jun's patch will kick in so the 16 drives will work instantly but your manuall changes (like 4 nic's in 918+ or >12 drives in 3515/17) will be gone and need to added again (i has this on my system when i was going from 6.2.3 25423 -> 25426 (both where "full" dsm versions)

the following is directly copyed from my synoinfo.conf and i have 3 working nic ports

maxlanport="4"

eth2_mtu="1500"
eth2_wol_options="d"
eth3_mtu="1500"
eth3_wol_options="d"

looks the same as your changes so the problem must be something else

or DS918+ 6.2.3 adds new settings to limit nic num support over 2 .

thats not new at all it was like that from the beginning, my warning about that (you linked above) is two years old

I am sorry for my use of translation assistant. Please forgive me if I use the wrong words My hardware configuration is CPU: I5-10500 and motherboard is ASROCK B460 PRO.Using the KO (9BC8) file you published, ls /dev/dri still shows No such file or directory, it seems that the driver file is not effective, I send it back to you, I hope it can be helpful to you, thank you for your efforts

Edited by jlxwkj

7 hours ago, jlxwkj said:

I am sorry for my use of translation assistant. Please forgive me if I use the wrong words My hardware configuration is CPU: I5-10500 and motherboard is ASROCK B460 PRO.Using the KO (9BC8) file you published, ls /dev/dri still shows No such file or directory, it seems that the driver file is not effective, I send it back to you, I hope it can be helpful to you, thank you for your efforts

Since I dealt with this I'll try to help with how it worked for me but I'm no IG-88 so I can't give you a solution if it doesn't work. 

My process was:

1. Put the i915.ko file in /usr/lib/modules. 

2. Change the file ownership and permissions to be root. 

3. Run the command 

sudo insmod /usr/lib/modules/i915.ko

Post the output here. 

4. Reboot and post the output here from /var/log/dmesg

after rebooted. 

5. Run the command 

Again after reboot and post the output here. It's probably redundant to do so but just to double check. 

Edited by mosaati

1 hour ago, mosaati said:

Since I dealt with this I'll try to help with how it worked for me but I'm no IG-88 so I can't give you a solution if it doesn't work. 

My process was:

1. Put the i915.ko file in /usr/lib/modules. 

2. Change the file ownership and permissions to be root. 

3. Run the command 

Post the output here. 

4. Reboot and post the output here from /var/log/dmesg

after rebooted. 

5. Run the command 

Again after reboot and post the output here. It's probably redundant to do so but just to double check. 

I according to your operation, at the time of the third run this command prompt me: insmod: ERROR: could not insert the module/usr/lib/modules/i915 ko: Key was rejected by the service, what should I do, thank you for your answer 

1.png.3f92f515f70cb04902703d5df22a517b.png

1 minute ago, jlxwkj said:

I according to your operation, at the time of the third run this command prompt me: insmod: ERROR: could not insert the module/usr/lib/modules/i915 ko: Key was rejected by the service, what should I do, thank you for your answer 

Yeah. This is the same what I got at first but the IG-88 re-compiled the file and it worked after that. I guess you have to wait for him to be able to answer. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. 

2 minutes ago, mosaati said:

Yeah. This is the same what I got at first but the IG-88 re-compiled the file and it worked after that. I guess you have to wait for him to be able to answer. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. 

Thank you very much for your answer, thank you

9 hours ago, mosaati said:

Yeah. This is the same what I got at first but the IG-88 re-compiled the file and it worked after that. I guess you have to wait for him to be able to answer.

9 hours ago, jlxwkj said:

that helps, i know whats wrong

i updated the link in the 1st thread to a new "mod2" version, please download and try again

1 hour ago, gatsu_1981 said:

Hi, do you have any suggestion?

use the extra/extra2 from the 1st post?

if you come from a former version containing jun's extra/extra2 an his i915 driver this driver will not work with the kernel from 6.2.3 and the driver will also prevent the new one from synology to be loaded

also in the 1st post is a list of supported pid's from synology's driver, 0412 is in that list

there should be no i915.ko in /usr/lib/modules/update/

• Like 1

11 hours ago, IG-88 said:

that helps, i know whats wrong

i updated the link in the 1st thread to a new "mod2" version, please download and try again

I915.ko has been replaced with mod2 and the kernel display has been shown to be driven via LS /dev/dri.However, it seems that kernel display cannot be used for transcoding in EMBY. Emby authorization has been obtained, and the video file is an 11G MKV file.Hope to get your answer, thank you very much

1.png.fea0de46d730668a5c041a85d89aafd3.png2.png.1d35e488725b3b9ebd85df0a7ac42025.png3.png.c13794c8d9eea4fb6609ac910135a2f1.png

Edited by jlxwkj

12 hours ago, IG-88 said:

use the extra/extra2 from the 1st post?

if you come from a former version containing jun's extra/extra2 an his i915 driver this driver will not work with the kernel from 6.2.3 and the driver will also prevent the new one from synology to be loaded

also in the 1st post is a list of supported pid's from synology's driver, 0412 is in that list

there should be no i915.ko in /usr/lib/modules/update/

Thanks.

Last synology version was natively compatible with my graphic card, but this one was not.
So I used the modded driver, and now I have /dev/dri back.

Moreover, I don't know if you remember, but I had huge problems using hw acceleration in the previous DSM release: it worked when starting a new video, but if I skipped the accelerated video even once the NAS rebooted.

Now it's perfectly working, I checked with JellyFin and with Video Station. 
Disabled: 50/85% CPU, on mine (a quad core i5 25w cpu)

Enabled: 15/25% CPU.

I had to plug a HDMI dummy plug in my NAS because network was not enabled on boot on previous release, I will test this issue too.

Regards

21 hours ago, gatsu_1981 said:

Last synology version was natively compatible with my graphic card, but this one was not.

vague reference, are you talking about 6.2.2 (jun's i915 driver) and 6.2.3 (synology's own newer i915 driver - initially made for the newer gemini lake x20 units)

So I used the modded driver, and now I have /dev/dri back.

the "mod" i915 driver only contains a small patch to replace the hardware id of 8086:3E92 (9th gen CPU) with the id of newer cpu'd id using the "same" UHD630 iGPU, nothing related to your older iGPU is changed, in theory a fresh install with loader 1.04b and my newer 6.2.3 extra/extra2 (0.11 and newer) should result in a working /dev/dri

Moreover, I don't know if you remember, but I had huge problems using hw acceleration in the previous DSM release: it worked when starting a new video, but if I skipped the accelerated video even once the NAS rebooted.

on 6.2.2 there where two i915 versions the one from synology not supporting anything above apollo lake and jun's i915 made from newer source with support up to 9th gen cpu's

with 6.2.3 synology replaced its older driver with a newer source similar to jun's version and might had a few more optimizations and tweaks to compensate some quirks in it so its working for all cases instead of the situation on 6.2.2 where the two i915 drivers had different sweet spots (like apollo lake better to be used with synology's driver)

jun might have had a harder job (and limitations) with his i915 driver as he could not change the kernel, everything needed to be in the driver to fit synology's 4.4.59 kernel

with 6.2.3 synology synology changed some things in its 4.4.59 kernel for a better fit of the i915 code they where using and broke jun's i915 driver on the way

the result with 6.2.3 is still pleasing a all hardware now woks as before but with the stock driver from synology

On 7/11/2020 at 6:26 AM, jlxwkj said:

I915.ko has been replaced with mod2 and the kernel display has been shown to be driven via LS /dev/dri.However, it seems that kernel display cannot be used for transcoding in EMBY. Emby authorization has been obtained, and the video file is an 11G MKV file.Hope to get your answer, thank you very much

could you try synologys videostation for transcoding with this patch?

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/24864-transcoding-without-a-valid-serial-number/

6 hours ago, IG-88 said:

could you try synologys videostation for transcoding with this patch?

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/24864-transcoding-without-a-valid-serial-number/

I just tried a patch with The Synologys VideoStation, which played directly, but the transcoding didn't work and the display stayed loaded, and I tried to transcode with Jellyfin and failed

3.png.d918fff6d59f654e0f743c8b5980155d.png1.png.63ccecee68b47de8170b62bc7597f04b.png2.png.34b547ac4b69fc18bec976d7347afd47.png

Edited by jlxwkj

6 hours ago, EVOTk said:

The folder /dev/dri has 666 permissions?

chmod 666 /dev/dri/renderD128

and restart Jellyfin

I checked renderD128, which by default is 0666.I have tried it according to your method, but the fault still exists. Thank you for your help1.png.35c182e832fbe660767efd2dec388546.png2.png.5f5862f6c960f0cbd685e6e45747be89.png

On 7/12/2020 at 11:42 AM, IG-88 said:

vague reference, are you talking about 6.2.2 (jun's i915 driver) and 6.2.3 (synology's own newer i915 driver - initially made for the newer gemini lake x20 units)

With 6.2.2 I was just using JUN loader, I did not require more packages

the "mod" i915 driver only contains a small patch to replace the hardware id of 8086:3E92 (9th gen CPU) with the id of newer cpu'd id using the "same" UHD630 iGPU, nothing related to your older iGPU is changed, in theory a fresh install with loader 1.04b and my newer 6.2.3 extra/extra2 (0.11 and newer) should result in a working /dev/dri

I understand that.

But, on 6.2.2, I already had /dev/dri populated, and I already had a valid S/N for Synology. But, using Jellyfin (or videostation) and then doing a video seek resulted in a immediate NAS reset.

Now it's not resetting anymore, on 6.2.3 with patched extra/extra2.

on 6.2.2 there where two i915 versions the one from synology not supporting anything above apollo lake and jun's i915 made from newer source with support up to 9th gen cpu's

with 6.2.3 synology replaced its older driver with a newer source similar to jun's version and might had a few more optimizations and tweaks to compensate some quirks in it so its working for all cases instead of the situation on 6.2.2 where the two i915 drivers had different sweet spots (like apollo lake better to be used with synology's driver)

jun might have had a harder job (and limitations) with his i915 driver as he could not change the kernel, everything needed to be in the driver to fit synology's 4.4.59 kernel

with 6.2.3 synology synology changed some things in its 4.4.59 kernel for a better fit of the i915 code they where using and broke jun's i915 driver on the way

the result with 6.2.3 is still pleasing a all hardware now woks as before but with the stock driver from synology

It absolutely have to do with some optimization on latest driver.
I did not change anything in my configuration, EFI/bios or something else.

Just did a DSM update, then updated with extra/extra2, and now everything is working as it should have been working.

10 hours ago, gatsu_1981 said:

I understand that.

But, on 6.2.2, I already had /dev/dri populated, and I already had a valid S/N for Synology. But, using Jellyfin (or videostation) and then doing a video seek resulted in a immediate NAS reset.

Now it's not resetting anymore, on 6.2.3 with patched extra/extra2.

if the new synology i915 driver driver does not work for you then  you only way would be downgrading to 6.2.2 and continue to use jun's i915 driver

atm there is not even kernel source to see what synology did to backport there new i915 driver, its different from what jun did and jun's driver dous not work with 6.2.3

hi  i`v bought rtl8125.also   i·v updated the extra.and i found the "lan" in the control panel.but i cant get a dhcp.the ip is still 169.254.58.x the network port light flashes.and i also set a static ip,but still can`t find the nas.why

Edited by Stan_G

14 hours ago, IG-88 said:

if the new synology i915 driver driver does not work for you then  you only way would be downgrading to 6.2.2 and continue to use jun's i915 driver

atm there is not even kernel source to see what synology did to backport there new i915 driver, its different from what jun did and jun's driver dous not work with 6.2.3

Hi, as I said, with 6.2.2 even if I had /dev/dri populated, my NAS would spontaneously reboot when video seeking in videostation / jellyfin, with HW encoding enabled.

Now, with 6.2.3 with patched drivers, it doesn't happen anymore 🙂 so without patched driver I did not have /dev/dri, but after using extra/extra2 from first post I now have fully working HW encoding since /dev/dri appeared again and it doesn't reboot anymore on video seeking 😃

Edited by gatsu_1981

On 7/14/2020 at 4:15 PM, gatsu_1981 said:

but after using extra/extra2 from first post I now have fully working HW encoding since /dev/dri appeared again and it doesn't reboot anymore on video seeking

ahh, good somehow i though it was the other way around, so it still seems like there is no case where it got worse when using the i915 driver that comes with 6.2.3

On 7/14/2020 at 4:02 PM, Stan_G said:

hi  i`v bought rtl8125.also   i·v updated the extra.and i found the "lan" in the control panel.but i cant get a dhcp.the ip is still 169.254.58.x the network port light flashes.and i also set a static ip,but still can`t find the nas.why

what loader and dsm type, what mainbaord and any additional hardware like other nic's?

16 hours ago, IG-88 said:

ahh, good somehow i though it was the other way around, so it still seems like there is no case where it got worse when using the i915 driver that comes with 6.2.3

what loader and dsm type, what mainbaord and any additional hardware like other nic's?

my loader is 1.03b  3615xs  DSM6.23 .thanks for ur new extra.and i`v updated the extra.it works well

image.png