XPEnology Community

Driver extension jun 1.03b/1.04b for DSM6.2.3 for 918+ / 3615xs / 3617xs

8 hours ago, root616 said:

no idea, it works for me, still I remove my raid card, directly connect to MINI-SAS HD port(SATA channel) on board, probelem solved!

what system board are you using?

mini-SAS HD connectors (SFF-8643) does not mean sas controller, can also just be sata and in this case (sata/ahci) the lsi driver problem will not occur, smart will be working as it should on ahci (as it does on my new build with jmb585)

Edited by IG-88

10 hours ago, IG-88 said:

what system board are you using?

mini-SAS HD connectors (SFF-8643) does not mean sas controller, can also just be sata and in this case (sata/ahci) the lsi driver problem will not occur, smart will be working as it should on ahci (as it does on my new build with jmb585)

ASUS P10S-i board, yep, I have removed my LSI raid card, just use on board connector

10 hours ago, root616 said:

ASUS P10S-i board, yep, I have removed my LSI raid card, just use on board connector

and thats "only" sata, so you are not using the sas driver that way and smart is working beause of this

so the reason why 0.13 delivers samrt for you was not the downgrade from 0.13.3, it was because you changed from lsi sas to sata/ahci

11 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

and thats "only" sata, so you are not using the sas driver that way and smart is working beause of this

so the reason why 0.13 delivers samrt for you was not the downgrade from 0.13.3, it was because you changed from lsi sas to sata/ahci

Nope, when i test v0.13 and other driver version was useing LSI raid card , I wanna upgrade to 0.13.3 so I bought sff-8643 to 4sata cable directly connect on-board port.

1 hour ago, root616 said:

Nope, when i test v0.13 and other driver version was useing LSI raid card , I wanna upgrade to 0.13.3 so I bought sff-8643 to 4sata cable directly connect on-board port.

i was not able to reproduce that, replacing the extra/extra2 with a v0.13 on an running system and fresh install with 0.13 had the same outcome as it was to expect from the version of the files i put into them - in both cases no smart info

from my point of view its still - 0.12 or earlier can corrupt the raid when hdd hibernation is on and from 0.13 onward it will be safer but no smart info (also no serial number and that hurts even more because when there are disk problems its best practice to check the disk serial shown in dsm against the disk you want to replace on the hardware side, especially as the lsi sas driver does not have stable positions in the slots dsm shows in its gui)

i will offer the 0.12 version an 0.13 version the 1st post until i know more about that problem or anyone has other ideas how to address this

Hi and sorry if this was answered before but I really looked and everyone's case is somewhat different.

I just installed +918 on a new machine hoping to get Hardware Accelaration on Plex. Found on a post that if I don't have a folder dev/dri HA will not work and as it happens I don't have that folder.

The new machine is I59600K and ASUS ROG Z390-E. Xpenology 6.2.3 and Extra drivers 0.13.3.

I did something while preparing the flash drive and I am not sure if it is the reason or not. I unzipped the DSM pat file and took the rd.gz and zImage files and put them with the extra drivers. Is this the reason? Is this the proper way for preparing the flash drive? Is there a way to fix the situation?

Thanks for the help.

I just found the section mentioning the I915 driver and my exact situation. So basically I got a crappy luck picking up this processor. I guess I have to wait for  Synology to update their source code and I915 driver?

Edited by mosaati

9 hours ago, mosaati said:

Hi and sorry if this was answered before but I really looked and everyone's case is somewhat different.

I just installed +918 on a new machine hoping to get Hardware Accelaration on Plex. Found on a post that if I don't have a folder dev/dri HA will not work and as it happens I don't have that folder.

The new machine is I59600K and ASUS ROG Z390-E. Xpenology 6.2.3 and Extra drivers 0.13.3.

I did something while preparing the flash drive and I am not sure if it is the reason or not. I unzipped the DSM pat file and took the rd.gz and zImage files and put them with the extra drivers. Is this the reason? Is this the proper way for preparing the flash drive? Is there a way to fix the situation?

Thanks for the help.

I just found the section mentioning the I915 driver and my exact situation. So basically I got a crappy luck picking up this processor. I guess I have to wait for  Synology to update their source code and I915 driver?

why u do that? DO NOT replace those 2 files, just replace extra & extra2  and SN MAC if needed,  rd.gz and zImage file may mod for expenology, try reburn your loader device just replace 2 extra files and edit sn mac

51 minutes ago, stefauresi said:

Hi, 

I have a question.

The driver for ASUS XG-c100c it's include in extra918plus_v0.13.3 ?

Thx

This adapter use Aquantia AQTION AQC107  chip, v0.13.3 may not support, ASUS provide Linux driver as source file , you could try use synology open source ToolChain build your own.

For your reference,3617 has native support PCie adapters, 918 does not: https://www.synology.com/en-us/compatibility?search_by=products&model=DS3617xs&category=network_interface_cards&p=1

UPDATE: just heard Synology offical 10GB adapter synology E10G18-T1 use the same Aquantia AQC107-B1 as asus ASUS XG-c100c, but i don't know if asus use Aquantia  AQC107 OR Aquantia AQC107-B1 this chip has different versions.

SOME useful link: https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/E10G18-T1#specs

I think 3167 will works fine!

Edited by root616

11 hours ago, roota1dmin1 said:

Always thank you for your information. I have a question. If you don't mind, could you tell me if I can apply for RTL8125B Lancard?

the 013.x

2 hours ago, root616 said:

This adapter use Aquantia AQTION AQC107  chip, v0.13.3 may not support, ASUS provide Linux driver as source file , you could try use synology open source ToolChain build your own.

For your reference,3617 has native support PCie adapters, 918 does not: https://www.synology.com/en-us/compatibility?search_by=products&model=DS3617xs&category=network_interface_cards&p=1

UPDATE: just heard Synology offical 10GB adapter synology E10G18-T1 use the same Aquantia AQC107-B1 as asus ASUS XG-c100c, but i don't know if asus use Aquantia  AQC107 OR Aquantia AQC107-B1 this chip has different versions.

SOME useful link: https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/E10G18-T1#specs

I think 3167 will works fine!

why do you tell people stuff like this here? this thread is about ADDITIONAL drivers (that synology does not have or supports), so please dont reference to things that work on a original synology box and assume it will also not work with xpenology and its extra.lzma

atm we do have a better driver then 2.0.15 in 918+ extra/extra2 and even 2.0.10 version is in for 2 years, you may take some time and open the extra.lzma and check it before telling "unrealted" stuff like it might be a problem (2.3.4.0 is the one in 0.13.3 for 918+ and it was tested by a user, same version will be in next extra for 3615/17)

even mid. 2018 we had driver 2.0.10 and afaik it worked with the asus card since then

if you want to answer such question correctly you might ask the user about the pci vendor and product id (and sub id's if there are any) and compare that what's in the driver provided with the extra.lzma (*.ko can be opened in a editor like notepad++ or ultraed, look for "vermagic" and a little before that you will find the vid/pid information's and even the version number of the driver - or when in a normal linux or chroot in dsm use "modinfo" to get this information about the *.ko file)

oh and btw the driver synology provides for 3617 in dsm 6.2.3 is still 2.0.5

in the change log here it can be seen that support for this driver was added 12/2017 and driver v2.0.10 was added 7/2018

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/9508-driver-extension-jun-102bdsm61x-for-3615xs-3617xs-916/

3 hours ago, stefauresi said:

The driver for ASUS XG-c100c it's include in extra918plus_v0.13.3 ?

yes

Edited by IG-88

20 hours ago, mosaati said:

I guess I have to wait for  Synology to update their source code and I915 driver?

i dont expect synology to pick up a newer driver as the one in question was just released for the new x20+ units (successor of the x18+ units)

as long as we dont have the recent 6.2.3 kernel source and the i915 driver they presumably modded then i dont see much o a chance

(and to be complete, also jun's driver that is 1/2 a year newer and would work up to DSM 6.2.2 does not have this device id)

the only alternative would be to find the place in the binary for not so much used device id, patch it to 0x3E98 and hope that it works as its also a device that is similar to the one already used

10 hours ago, root616 said:

why u do that?

because i wrote so, to do it, especially with 6.2.2 its the only way to do it

DO NOT replace those 2 files,

i have a different opinion about that (for a reason)

its more correct to replace the kernel files with the files from 6.2.3 because the source the drivers for 6.2.3 where made from is much "closer" to the version of the kernel

the original 6.2 kernel on loader is v23739, my 6.2.3 driver are made with v24922 and DSM 6.2.3 is v25426

in case of loader 1.04b with its "old" kernel and new 6.2.3 extra/extra2 i tested it and it does work, but i could only test with very few drivers, so it might not work with all drivers, but in the end its only about the 1st boot and finding the unit in network, when installing the *.pat file the kernel files are overwritten with the file from 6.2.3 anyway so in the end you will have 6.2.3 on you usb with the extra/extra2, so one more reason to start with 6.2.3 kernel files, using the old kernel files is for the lazy ones and has a slight risk that you might think a driver does not work because its not working with 6.2.0 but is working with 6.2.3

Edited by IG-88

8 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

the only alternative would be to find the place in the binary for not so much used device id, patch it to 0x3E98 and hope that it works as its also a device that is similar to the one already used

Thank you for your reply. 

Do you have any tutorial on how to do this? 

i915.ko

starting around d04e0h  going to d2950h seems to be the table of devices in the binary code

94 3E is device 3E94

i could change this in 98 3E and send you a test extra/extra2, but there might be more files to change then i915.ko

10 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

i915.ko

starting around d04e0h  going to d2950h seems to be the table of devices in the binary code

94 3E is device 3E94

i could change this in 98 3E and send you a test extra/extra2, but there might be more files to change then i915.ko

I really don't want to trouble you. If there is a place to read about I'll do it myself but this is the first time I hear about all this. 

From what I understand so far. There is a file 'i915.ko' located in the installation. I'm assuming here that I should grab this file through ssh and modify this file in notepad++ and change as you explained. Am I correct so far? 

Edited by mosaati

42 minutes ago, mosaati said:

Am I correct so far? 

yes but for notepad++ you would need the hex editor plugin, but i guess that does not work with newer versions of notepad++

maybe use some other hex editor like

https://mh-nexus.de/en/programs.php

be careful when trying such crude hacks, that might freeze or crash your system and in worst case resulting in a broken raid

only try this on a single disk with a fresh dsm 6.2.3 install

Edited by IG-88

16 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

yes but for notepad++ you would need the hex editor plugin, but i guess that does not work with newer versions of notepad++

maybe use some other hex editor like

https://mh-nexus.de/en/programs.php

be careful when trying such crude hacks, that might freeze or crash your system and in worst case resulting in a broken raid

only try this on a single disk with a fresh dsm 6.2.3 install

Oh so it's hex. OK I'll get a hex editor. 

I re-read your post before this one and I understood that this file could be found in the extra drivers you developed. Would editing the file there be better than a live system and try the new flash and if it doesn't go live I could put the old flash back and have everything go back to normal? 

1 minute ago, mosaati said:

could be found in the extra drivers you developed.

no its a driver from dsm so its in /usr/lib/modules

if you have a running dsm 6.2.3 on one disk its the most simple approach to change the file in  /usr/lib/modules and then reboot

the file in question in not part of the loader from usb