XPEnology Community

Running 6.2.3 on ESXi? Synoboot is BROKEN, fix available

flyride

23 hours ago, flyride said:

No idea what you have downloaded or what version that is (6.7 does not exist).  Please post as a question in the appropriate forum.

That was esxi 6.7 u3 I am running.

Where can I find the vmdk etc. that is already updated with the latest boot loader for esxi?

I have Dell r710 with raid.

• 1 month later...

Script doesn't work for me, ESXi 6.7, loader on sata 0:0, m/b sata controller passthrough to vm.

The loader script shows in security advisor so it's correctly installed with the right permissions, however I can still see the loader in DSM.

Any suggestions?

10 hours ago, flyride said:

Look at some of the other posts to troubleshoot.  Any results from ls /dev/synoboot*

Other things that could be factors are your sata args from grub.cfg and your virtual machine configuration (post these if you wish).

Thank you for replying.

I've got synoboot, synoboot1 and synoboot2 in /dev.

Grub.cfg is untouched except the s/n and mac, and the VM is pretty standard as per tutorial, except the sata controller passthrough.

I migrated a bare metal install to esxi, it was pretty painless, just the drives have different numbering but it was not a problem as all were individual volumes, no raid.

If you can see the loader in DSM and you have synoboot devices, you need to adjust grub.cfg for your particular configuration.

Post a new question thread (this is not a synoboot problem anymore) with detail on all your controllers, (virtual and passthrough), vmdk's attached to those controllers, and the number of physical disks on the passthrough controller and we can make suggestions on amending grub.cfg.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/15/2021 at 5:14 AM, JoeOIVOV said:

Thank you, I was able to update to 6.2.3-25426 Update 3 after applying/rebooting with this script.  Can't update beyond that, but it helps..

How can you attach a script to a DSM that hasn't even been installed yet? I replaced all my hard drives, went for 6.2.3-25426 Update 3 again, and get the infamous "Failed to install the file. The file is probably corrupted. (13)" error (ESXi 7.0.U2). My guess is because Synology sees the 50MB boot device, and wants to use it; but it can no longer be hidden.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This worked for me as well; just fresh-installed latest Jun's loader with DSM 6.2.3. Note that you don't have to reboot after installing the script; it just needs to be started like this:

sudo /usr/local/etc/rc.d/FixSynoboot.sh start

As soon as I started the "service" I was able to successfully install update 3.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Successfully installed in a VirtualBox environment. Does it need to be in a baremetal environment also? I'm on a Dell Optiplex 7010 and it shows

ls /dev/synoboot*
/dev/synoboot  /dev/synoboot1  /dev/synoboot2  /dev/synoboot3

Should I install fixsynoboot.sh on baremetal anyway, does it brake anything or is it safe?

Other question: can I backup my Xpenology HDD with Clonezila - I think should be possible (in case someone suggest just to try - I have 2 little children, time is precious therefore I hope for someone's experience to benefit from).

Thanks to all for your efforts.

Stay healthy.

Televisor

On 4/15/2020 at 11:00 PM, flyride said:

This should be considered required for a virtual system running 6.2.3, and it won't hurt anything if installed or ported to another environment.

This is from the original post.  You don't need to install it but it won't hurt anything.

I suggest you post your backup question as a new question on a general thread so people can find it.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello, I have problem with my Xpenology.

I have Xpenology on ESXi on HP miniserver gen8. After applying FixSynoboot.sh, installing latest DSM update and restart, Xpenology virtual does not start.

I have only log from esxi (included), but I do not see any problem.

Can you help me (I have no idea what is wrong.)

files.png

vmware.log

Edited by ladamek

• 1 month later...

I am gen10 plus, I installed Synology Boot v1.03b+ DS3617xs-6.23_25426 on esxi, but when I run ls /dev/synoboot *, the result I get is completely different from /dev/synoboot /dev/synoboot1 /dev/synoboot2 Same thing, even if I ran FixSynoboot.sh following the tutorial, I didn't get results like /dev/synoboot. But everything works fine for now. I don't need to fix it, thanks

1.png

37 minutes ago, flyride said:

Syntax is wrong, you've added spaces for some reason.

"ls / dev / synoboot *" is not the same thing as "ls /dev/synoboot*"

Thanks a lot for your help, sorry I didn't notice the space in between. Now prompt:
/dev/synoboot, this should mean that there is no problem. Thanks again for your help