XPEnology Community

Running 6.2.3 on ESXi? Synoboot is BROKEN, fix available

flyride

Hi

I'm trying to download the Fix file but it is unavailable. Because i want to update to 6.2.3-25426 Update 2

Also when i do # ls /dev/synoboot*
ls: cannot access /dev/synoboot*: No such file or directory

So not sure if that is a problem.

I'm running DSM 6.2.3-25426 with Jun 1.03b DS3615xs on HP MicroServer Gen8

Edited by Maarten Hendrix

16 hours ago, mervincm said:

I hate to fix what isn't broken but I might have the issue

admin@DSM:~$ ls /dev/synoboot*
/dev/synoboot  /dev/synoboot1  /dev/synoboot2  /dev/synoboot3
given I have the extra (/dev/synoboot3) I appear to have a problem.

Other than the strangeness in that my HDD and my SSD are not sequential in their slot numbers, and the fact that the drives two misordered drives 12 and 13  have had a few reconnects, (none since at least March) on all other disks I don't see any issues with the storage.

- /dev/synoboot3 can exist depending on whether there is an extra partition in your loader.  It doesn't do anything.  You have no synoboot issue.

- reconnects are hardware, nothing to do with synoboot.  Not super unusual to have reconnects from time to time in a normally working system.

- drive order issue is solely the domain of DiskIdxMap and SataPortMap.  It is not contributing to your perceived instability.

On 8/27/2020 at 9:49 PM, mervincm said:

I hate to fix what isn't broken but I might have the issue

admin@DSM:~$ ls /dev/synoboot*
/dev/synoboot  /dev/synoboot1  /dev/synoboot2  /dev/synoboot3

given I have the extra (/dev/synoboot3) I appear to have a problem.

I am running 6.2.3U2 918+ with 16 visable drive slots, 13 used  (I have 6 SSD and 7 HDD) 
I also have an AIC NVME Intel SSD750-400 used as a read cache on the HDD volume

My volume 1, storage pool 1, is SHR1, 7x 8TB HDD using slots 1,2,3,4,5,6,12 BTRFS - Healthy

My volume 2,storage pool 2 ,is SHR1, 6x1TB SSD using slots 7,8,9,10,11,13 BTRFS - Healthy

My NVME is cache device 1 - Healthy

Other than the strangeness in that my HDD and my SSD are not sequential in their slot numbers, and the fact that the drives two misordered drives 12 and 13  have had a few reconnects, (none since at least March) on all other disks I don't see any issues with the storage.

Are you running baremetal?

Im still on 6.2.2u6 and wouldnt mind jumping to 6.2.3 but fear this hdd limit thing as I too currently have 13 hdd's and running 918+ on a gigabyte b365m-ds3h w/ lsi-9211-8i.

Did you need to configure anything special to get all hdd's

Edited by merve04

I have DSM running on ESXI 6.0 host, with Jun's 1.02B loader in a vmdk running DSM 6.1.14 and have the LSI controller passed through all working fine. I downloaded the virtual appliance from here with Jun's 1.03 bootloader and updated the grub.cfg file with my own serial. However, I keep getting file corrupt error 13 around 57 percent when the controller is passed to this VM and the other is switched off.

I've already run FixSynoboot script and checked for hidden directories and only found .syno which I deleted but still can't complete the upgrade as it shows as migratable but fails around 56%.

Any help would be really appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Hello all I have a H200 HBA and passed 8 drives to the Virtual machine currently on DSM 6.2.3-25426. I was having a problem where when I pass the through the HBA it would only pickup 6 drives. Do I have anything to worry here or anything else?

I installed the FixSynoBoot.sh and it allowed me to install DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 2 with no problems. However, when I run security advisor it now notifies me that there is a malicious startup script. Is it safe to remove FixSynoBoot.sh now that the update installed properly and the correct /dev devices were created?

Running on VMWare Workstation 15.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

HPz230 - Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1246 v3 @ 3.50GHz   
Successful 918+ DSM 6.2.1-23824 Update 6 w/Junes 1.04b ProxMox Install

After updating to 6.2.3-25426 Update 2.. Everything still loaded and seem to work fine, 
but I no longer saw the /dev/synoboot folders.. So after finding this thread.. I ran the .sh fix..

Now the folders are back.. but I'm getting these errors in log on every start and stop..

https://www.screencast.com/t/9qknfptH

Have backups of pre-update.. and folders are there w/NO log messages..

Is this common, expected, or possibly something I should be concerned about?

Thanks
Edge

1 hour ago, IG-88 said:

how about consulting a real log file in /var/log?

might be more detailed about what drive and whats going on

Any hint on which of the log file(s) to look thru?

Here is message log from new shutdown to start-up.. 

Would you happen to see anything that means anything to you?

Thanks
Edge

xmlog.txt

2 hours ago, Edge said:

HPz230 - Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1246 v3 @ 3.50GHz   
Successful 918+ DSM 6.2.1-23824 Update 6 w/Junes 1.04b ProxMox Install

After updating to 6.2.3-25426 Update 2.. Everything still loaded and seem to work fine, 
but I no longer saw the /dev/synoboot folders.. So after finding this thread.. I ran the .sh fix..

Now the folders are back.. but I'm getting these errors in log on every start and stop..

https://www.screencast.com/t/9qknfptH

Have backups of pre-update.. and folders are there w/NO log messages..

Is this common, expected, or possibly something I should be concerned about?

It does look a little strange.  Can you share a list of the virtual controller and drives you are using?  Do you possibly have two loader devices mounted to your VM by accident?

The script (which is just part of the Jun bootloader code) tries to identify the loader partition by its size smaller than any valid RAID partition.  If a targeted partition is mounted, this is characteristic of the eSATA automap problem, so it quietly dismounts it for you.  If there are two block devices that present as a loader, it could get confused.  This is a potential problem with Jun's loader with or without the FixSynoboot script, although there would be no error message displayed; it would be manifested later as an upgrade crash as the wrong loader would be modified in the upgrade.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, flyride said:

It does look a little strange.  Can you share a list of the virtual controller and drives you are using?  Do you possibly have two loader devices mounted to your VM by accident?

Hope not.. although I am new to all this and learning as I go..  

Here is pic of ProxMox hardware for VM.. 104 is upgrade in question..

11.23.2020-17.17.04

and here is how options are set:

11.23.2020-17.17.16

Anything not look right?

Thanks

Edge

1 hour ago, Edge said:

Anything not look right?

You have one virtual sata controller, with a 20GB virtual data disk in slot 0, the loader in slot 1 and a 50GB virtual data disk in slot 2.  You can see you are booting from the loader on sata1.

Best practice is to have two virtual sata controllers, this is easy in ESXi but I don't know ProxMox.

vsata0 should have only the loader in slot 0 (sata0) and boot from that device.

vsata1 should have your virtual data disks in sequence, slot0 = 20GB, slot1 = 50GB, etc.

If it is hard to set up two virtualsata controllers, one vsata controller should work, with loader in slot 0 and virtual disks to follow slot 1, slot2, etc.

DSM is generating a confusing error message about the non-standard placement of the loader device, but the script is correctly unmounting it and hotspare ejecting it as required.

Edited by flyride
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, flyride said:

You have one virtual sata controller, with a 20GB virtual data disk in slot 0, the loader in slot 1 and a 50GB virtual data disk in slot 2.  You can see you are booting from the loader on sata1.

Best practice is to have two virtual sata controllers, this is easy in ESXi but I don't know ProxMox.

vsata0 should have only the loader in slot 0 (sata0) and boot from that device.

vsata1 should have your virtual data disks in sequence, slot0 = 20GB, slot1 = 50GB, etc.

If it is hard to set up two virtualsata controllers, one vsata controller should work, with loader in slot 0 and virtual disks to follow slot 1, slot2, etc.

DSM is generating a confusing error message about the non-standard placement of the loader device, but the script is correctly unmounting it and hotspare ejecting it as required.

Thank you so much.. Never could get the virts to work.. but just changing the order of those drives, and booting from slot 0 seems to have fixed issue..

Thanks Again

Edge 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/18/2020 at 9:36 AM, Balrog said:

Thank you very much @flyride for his extremely well written article!! 💪👏

I will try your solution today on my second backup NAS, which runs as a VM under ESXi 7.0 (since yesterday 😀 ) on a HPE Microserver Gen8 (as DS3615 with 1.03b) and give some feedback.

So to make it clear. I will:

- install the Update 6.2.3 manually

- reboot DSM as part of the update process (as usal)

- afterwards I will see the loader as ESATA

- I will apply/install your script

- reboot again

=> and now the loader disappears as ESATA and everything is like before

Hi @Balrog

You got a working setup with DSM 6.2.3 on esxi 7.0, for mi only work with version DSM_DS3617xs_23739 if i upgrade to 6.2.3 it stops working the system don't boot anymore the system don't anywhere the pings etc. I use the Jun's Loader v1.03b DS3617xs.

On the Serial Port i see the follow output:

:: Loading module isci[    2.190914] isci: Intel(R) C600 SAS Controller Driver - version 1.1.0^M                                                                    

... [  OK  ]^M                                                                                                                                                     

:: Loading module hpsa ... [  OK  ]^M                                                                                                                               

:: Loading module nvme ... [  OK  ]^M                                                                                                                               

:: Loading module ata_piix[    2.196655] ata_piix 0000:00:07.1: version 2.13^M                                                                                      

[    2.197875] scsi31 : ata_piix^M                                                                                                                                  

[    2.198383] scsi32 : ata_piix^M                                                                                                                                  

[    2.198703] ata32: PATA max UDMA/33 cmd 0x1f0 ctl 0x3f6 bmdma 0x1060 irq 14^M                                                                                    

[    2.199170] ata33: PATA max UDMA/33 cmd 0x170 ctl 0x376 bmdma 0x1068 irq 15^M                                                                                    

[    2.356599] ata33: Read current link speed fail, retry 1^M                                                                                                       

[    2.362604] ata33: Read current link speed fail, retry 2^M                                                                                                       

[    2.368645] ata33: Read current link speed fail, retry 3^M                                                                                                       

[    2.384645] ata32: Read current link speed fail, retry 1^M                                                                                                       

[    2.390623] ata32: Read current link speed fail, retry 2^M                                                                                                       

[    2.396653] ata32: Read current link speed fail, retry 3^M                                                                                                       

[    2.407549] tsc: Refined TSC clocksource calibration: 2808.002 MHz^M                                                                                             

[    2.407822] Switching to clocksource tsc^M                                                                                                                       

... [  OK  ]^M                                                                                                                                                     

Insert net driver(Mindspeed only)...^M                                                                                                                              

[    2.411647] broadwell_synobios: module license 'Synology Inc.' taints kernel.^M                                                                                  

[    2.411705] Disabling lock debugging due to kernel taint^M                                                                                                       

[    2.411856] 2020-12-13 11:29:28 UTC^M                                                                                                                            

[    2.412018] synobios: load, major number 201^M                                                                                                                   

[    2.412223] Brand: Synology^M                                                                                                                                    

[    2.412423] Model: DS-3617xs^M                                                                                                                                   

[    2.412619] set group disks wakeup number to 4, spinup time deno 7^M                                                                                             

[    2.412638] synobios cpu_arch proc entry initialized^M                                                                                                           

[    2.412658] synobios crypto_hw proc entry initialized^M                                                                                                          

[    2.412677] synobios syno_platform proc entry initialized^M                                                                                                      

[    2.412696] synobios open /dev/ttyS1 success^M                                                                                                                   

Starting /usr/syno/bin/synocfgen...^M                                                                                                                               

/usr/syno/bin/synocfgen returns 0^M                                                                                                                                 

[    2.414287] synobios: unload^M                                                                                                                                   

All disk ready or timeout execeed^M                                                                                                                                 

[    2.416979] md: Autodetecting RAID arrays.^M                                                                                                                     

[    2.419749] md: invalid raid superblock magic on sdb3^M                                                                                                          

[    2.419768] md: sdb3 does not have a valid v0.90 superblock, not importing!^M                                                                                    

[    2.419791] md: Scanned 3 and added 2 devices.^M                                                                                                                 

[    2.419810] md: autorun ...^M                                                                                                                                    

[    2.419830] md: considering sdb1 ...^M                                                                                                                           

[    2.419849] md:  adding sdb1 ...^M                                                                                                                               

[    2.419868] md: sdb2 has different UUID to sdb1^M                                                                                                                

[    2.419888] md: created md0^M                                                                                                                                    

[    2.419907] md: bind<sdb1>^M                                                                                                                                     

[    2.419926] md: running: <sdb1>^M                                                                                                                                

[    2.420103] md/raid1:md0: active with 1 out of 12 mirrors^M                                                                                                      

[    2.421638] md0: detected capacity change from 0 to 2549940224^M                                                                                                 

[    2.421709] md: considering sdb2 ...^M                                                                                                                           

[    2.421909] md:  adding sdb2 ...^M                                                                                                                               

[    2.422196] md: created md1^M                                                                                                                                    

[    2.422414] md: bind<sdb2>^M                                                                                                                                     

[    2.422611] md: running: <sdb2>^M                                                                                                                                

[    2.423066] md/raid1:md1: active with 1 out of 12 mirrors^M                                                                                                      

[    2.423832] md1: detected capacity change from 0 to 2147418112^M                                                                                                 

[    2.424019] md: ... autorun DONE.^M                                                                                                                              

Partition Version=8^M                                                                                                                                               

/sbin/e2fsck exists, checking /dev/md0... ^M                                                                                                                       

[    2.429284]  md0: unknown partition table^M                                                                                                                      

/sbin/e2fsck -pvf returns 0^M                                                                                                                                       

Mounting /dev/md0 /tmpRoot^M                                                                                                                                        

[    2.496025] EXT4-fs (md0): barriers disabled^M                                                                                                                   

[    2.505775] EXT4-fs (md0): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: ^M                                                                                   

------------upgrade^M                                                                                                                                               

Begin upgrade procedure^M                                                                                                                                           

Found an upgrade file on data volume. Begin upgrade^M                                                                                                               

[    3.451563] usb 1-1: new full-speed USB device number 2 using xhci_hcd^M                                                                                         

[    3.462782] Got empty serial number. Generate serial number from product.^M

• 3 weeks later...

I have used a SSD as loader,and it's on the controller port(0:1).

My NAS has 3 controllers,so I set DiskIdxMap=070003 SataPortMap=143.

The SSD loader is suppressed. and I can seethe disk 1-8 in my DSM correct.

but when I update the DSM,it's failed by file is broken.

And I use fixsynoboot.sh,it doesn't work yet.

I reboot it,and use ls /dev/syno*.there isn't synoboot yet.I have check the file mod,it's OK.

Then I set DiskIdxMap=070003 SataPortMap=243.

the loader is disk 9,the script is useful.So I think if loader is suppressed,the script is not applied.

Could you help me? How to make the script is useful and the SSD loader is suppressed too?

Edited by JoyLife

As I continue to parse your issue report, I think you are confusing disk "suppression" with disks actually being present.

You said you set your loader to position 0:1 but if it is ESXi, it enumerates starting with position 0:0.

SataPortMap=1 says there is only one device attached to the first controller, but your drive is in the second position so it is never mapped to a /dev/sdx device.

SataPortMap=2 says there are two devices attached to the first controller, so the disk gets mapped to a device and then FixSynoBoot can work.

You think you are suppressing, but you are not. The way suppression works is that DiskIdxMap must map the loader device beyond the assignable range, as defined by maxdisks (12 for DS36xx, 16 for DS918+)

I suggest that the solution may be this:

1. Move your loader disk to position 0:0
  2. SataPortMap=143
  3. DiskIdxMap=100003 (if you are using DS918+)
  4. DiskIdxMap=0C0003 (if you are using DS3615xs/DS3617xs)