XPEnology Community

Running 6.2.3 on ESXi? Synoboot is BROKEN, fix available

flyride

Guys, help please, how can i upload script to /usr/local/etc/rc.d? I tried upload via ssh/winscp, but no permisssions.

Answer:

as said Chilly:

"All people who are searching for root, here is what to do:

#PermitRootLogin prohibit-password
must be changed to:
PermitRootLogin Yes
paste also this textline under the permitrootloginyes
UsePrivilegeSeparation sandbox"

Thanks for root instructions

Edited by Sepro

Thank you very much.

I had problems to update from "DSM 6.2.3-25423" to "DSM 6.2.3-25426" with Jun's v1.03b Loader for DS3617xs in use.

FixSynoboot.sh solved the problems that the sata devices (bootloader) are displayed in filestation and the "unknown error (21)" msg while updating on my on "ESXi-6.7.0-20190802001-standard" emulated Xpenology machine.

You are my hero.

Hardware:

Fujitsu D3644-B

Intel Xeon E-2146G, 6x 3.50GHz, tray, Sockel 1151 v2

2x DDR4RAM 16GB DDR4-2666 Crucial ECC, CL19

1x NVMe Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 250GB

3x 3.0 TB HDD WD Red NAS Edition (RAID 5 build within Xpenology)

be quiet! Pure Power 11 400W ATX 2.4

Cooler Master Silencio S400

5 hours ago, reziel84 said:

hi to all, i fix dsm 6.2.3 with script.sh but when i restart dsm a message appear: "External sata disk 1 partition 2 is ejected etc etc etc" in wich way i can fix it?

thanks a lot

i add a photo with errors, each time i start DSM

sata erros.JPG

If the script is working properly, there will still be creation and deletion events in the log you posted.  The functionality that I added attempts to create conditions so that the improper ejection error does not occur. If that part of the script errors out for some reason, it will still remove the SATA shares but you would see the error as described.

How did you install the script? Is there a possibility that it was altered or damaged?

If you want to troubleshoot, move it from /usr/local/etc/rc.d to /usr/local/etc and reboot your system.  Then manually run the script from the command line and see if it returns errors (both on the command line and also whether it generates the UI/log error)

# /usr/local/etc/FixSynoboot.sh start

13 hours ago, flyride said:

If the script is working properly, there will still be creation and deletion events in the log you posted.  The functionality that I added attempts to create conditions so that the improper ejection error does not occur. If that part of the script errors out for some reason, it will still remove the SATA shares but you would see the error as described.

How did you install the script? Is there a possibility that it was altered or damaged?

If you want to troubleshoot, move it from /usr/local/etc/rc.d to /usr/local/etc and reboot your system.  Then manually run the script from the command line and see if it returns errors (both on the command line and also whether it generates the UI/log error)

# /usr/local/etc/FixSynoboot.sh start

hi fly and thanks for your support. i just do what you say and this is the results:

shell.JPG

log.JPG

if you see the shell, i need to add "sudo" because i'm logged with admin and if i launch script withouth sudo it not work.

what do you think that i can do now?

Edited by reziel84

If it wasn't apparent from the execution output, FixSynoboot.sh has to be run as root.

In my example, I showed a pound sign (#) for the prompt which indicates root.  You are executing from the unprivileged admin (denoted by $ prompt).

Please repeat your test and elevate to root (sudo -i) prior to running the script.

1 hour ago, flyride said:

If it wasn't apparent from the execution output, FixSynoboot.sh has to be run as root.

In my example, I showed a pound sign (#) for the prompt which indicates root.  You are executing from the unprivileged admin (denoted by $ prompt).

Please repeat your test and elevate to root (sudo -i) prior to running the script.

thanks for your support flyride, if you see in the last line i launch the script with "sudo" command, ok no problem i just relaunch the script.

now i bacome root with sudo -i and after i launch a script, and this is the result:

shell.JPG

dsm.JPG

1 hour ago, flyride said:

Please @flyride Could you fix the FixSynoboot.sh link?

Thanks

when i restart the DSM appear message ""External sata disk 1 partition 2 is ejected...", but all works correctly.

my hw is a esxi 7.0 based on hp gen 10 plus with xeon.

vm for DSM have a 2 vcpu and 8gb of ram SATA 0:0 with synoboot disk of 50mb and SATA 1:0 with 2tb disk

Yes, that log is the normal behavior of DSM 6.2.3 on ESXi, and is the reason FixSynoboot.sh exists.  I do not understand what you are trying to explain to me by posting this now.

I believe we are running into some language issues as there is no answer provided to the question I've asked several times.  Let me re-summarize the situation as I understand it.

You are asking for help because you are concerned that a UI error message is displayed when FixSynoboot.sh runs.  This is abnormal and the script was engineered to not issue that message.  So we are troubleshooting why that might be happening.

So, I asked you to run FixSynoboot.sh manually, immediately after a reboot.  When that finally happened, FixSynoboot.sh cleaned up the eSATA shares as expected.  The subsequent log you posted does not indicate an abnormal removal of eSATA shares. Was there a UI error message associated with the command line execution of the script?

i'm really sorry flyride for my bad english, maybe this is the issue, so let me explain.....

your script works really better, the my ONLY question is:  after each reboot, everytime that i reboot i see this in the log UI:

dsm.JPG

on the red circle in english say "External sata disk 1 not removed corretly".

and i saw this logs EVERYTIME that i reboot the DSM, but ALL WORKS CORRECTLY, all folders, volumes, etc etc, but only this log is my problem.

it's normal that i see this in the log on web UI?

Edited by reziel84

The entries in the logfile below are normal with 6.2.3 on ESXi and when FixSynoboot.sh is installed.

image.thumb.png.4a1ac91546318460d47bdfced5718996.png

Web UI notifications such as the one below are not expected. Code in FixSynoboot.sh is intended to suppress these messages.

image.thumb.png.546b176eb2dded334e61e09c074da063.png

I asked you to run FixSynoboot.sh manually from the command line.  That would have generated log messages. Again, that's normal given the configuration.

DID THE COMMAND LINE RUN CAUSE A WEB UI NOTIFICATION??  YES OR NO?

Edited by flyride

14 hours ago, flyride said:

The entries in the logfile below are normal with 6.2.3 on ESXi and when FixSynoboot.sh is installed.

image.thumb.png.4a1ac91546318460d47bdfced5718996.png

Web UI notifications such as the one below are not expected. Code in FixSynoboot.sh is intended to suppress these messages.

image.thumb.png.546b176eb2dded334e61e09c074da063.png

I asked you to run FixSynoboot.sh manually from the command line.  That would have generated log messages. Again, that's normal given the configuration.

DID THE COMMAND LINE RUN CAUSE A WEB UI NOTIFICATION??  YES OR NO?

NO! if i run the script manually in another folder after a reboot no WEB UI notified regarding sata appear.

i explain a step by step what i do:

1) change script folder

2) reboot DSM

3) launch script from shell by root user

all works correctly and no notification on webui (except for those in the first picture).

now my situation is this:

dsm.JPG

but at this point if i  move the script under rc.d and restart DSM, the situation is this:

dsm2.thumb.JPG.0f763cbd4a788dc85a75b1774047785d.JPG

all works correctly, only the mesage in the UI is really strange

Edited by reziel84

The issue is a matter of timing in the first place. Something in your system is causing the eSATA initialization to happen later than other systems, or perhaps there needs to be more time between unmounting and device deactivation. The moment where /etc/local/rc.d executes seems to work for most, but on your system it must be too soon.

I'd try modifying the script to add pauses in the following locations and see if it helps:

Add a line containing sleep 5 immediately before echo "remove" >/sys/class/block/$basename/uevent

Add a line containing sleep 15 between start) and FixSynoboot

• Thanks 1