XPEnology Community

Booting from Flash DOM

Jman420

I'm trying to replace the QNAP boot image on my TS269Pro with XPEnology so I don't have to tie up a USB port for booting purposes. I used the 'dd' command to overwrite the DOM image with the XPEnology Boot Image and it boots to the GRUB menu, but it doesn't boot past that. It hangs on a blank screen and isn't detected on the network. Anyone have any ideas?

I'm trying to replace the QNAP boot image on my TS269Pro with XPEnology so I don't have to tie up a USB port for booting purposes. I used the 'dd' command to overwrite the DOM image with the XPEnology Boot Image and it boots to the GRUB menu, but it doesn't boot past that. It hangs on a blank screen and isn't detected on the network. Anyone have any ideas?

I replayed your PM.

Thanks Eduardo. I'll give it a shot with Hiren's BootCD, but I'm not too confident that will fix the issue.

QNAP makes two partitions on DOM. XPEnology one. Not sure if you mind of that. RMPrepUSB or similar tool will flash XPEnoloy boot quite easy.

Don't forget to backup QNAP DOM first.

Good luck.

HAHA! I got it working! Not sure what happened the first time I wrote the XPEnology boot image to the DOM, but I decided to try it again and its booting perfectly now (although a little slower).

Interestingly enough DSM actually gives me direct access to the DOM. It appears as usbshare1 and I can use it just like any other drive. It also meant that I could actually use XPEnology to overwrite the DOM. I downloaded the XPEnology Boot IMG to the NAS and used the dd command to write it to the DOM.

HAHA! I got it working! Not sure what happened the first time I wrote the XPEnology boot image to the DOM, but I decided to try it again and its booting perfectly now (although a little slower).

Interestingly enough DSM actually gives me direct access to the DOM. It appears as usbshare1 and I can use it just like any other drive. It also meant that I could actually use XPEnology to overwrite the DOM. I downloaded the XPEnology Boot IMG to the NAS and used the dd command to write it to the DOM.

Nanoboot has a grub option (by VID & PID) to mask out your usb device (DOM) so it won't show as a drive within DSM.

Nanoboot has a grub option (by VID & PID) to mask out your usb device (DOM) so it won't show as a drive within DSM.

I actually kinda like having it in DSM. I have setup permissions on it so only the admin account can see and access it, so it doesn't get in the way of my normal usage. With the XPEnology Boot Image it is much cleaner too since it only has one partition. The QNAP Boot Image had 8 partitions and each one showed up as a different share under 'usbshare1-x' where x was the partition index.

Good to know about being able to mask it out via the GRUB options though. Are those options documented anywhere?

I actually kinda like having it in DSM. I have setup permissions on it so only the admin account can see and access it, so it doesn't get in the way of my normal usage. With the XPEnology Boot Image it is much cleaner too since it only has one partition. The QNAP Boot Image had 8 partitions and each one showed up as a different share under 'usbshare1-x' where x was the partition index.

Good to know about being able to mask it out via the GRUB options though. Are those options documented anywhere?

Eight partitions!. About my TS-259Pro+, I remember two copies of the boot, but not sure of the partitions number.

Eight partitions!. About my TS-259Pro+, I remember two copies of the boot, but not sure of the partitions number.

Yeah, two copies of the boot, a full image of the firmware and a couple of empty partitions with just a lost+found folder. Maybe it wasn't 8, maybe it was 6, but there were a lot and it was pretty gross. The images for all the QNAP models are on: http://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/Firmware_Recovery#Firmware_Recovery_Guide_for_x86-based_NAS. You can open them in WinImage to see all the partitions and junk.