XPEnology Community

Cannot complete Data Scrubbing DSM 6.2.2

mattyjasper

Hi all,

Recently upgraded my NAS to DSM 6.2.2 running from Jun's 1.03b Loader (DS3615xs). Also upgraded to 4x 6TB drives at the same time. I used Synology Migration Assistant to migrate all my data, packages etc from my old installation. Hardware as follows;

Intel Core i3-4130

8GB DDR3 (2x 4GB)

Gigabyte GA-H81M-S2V motherboard

4x WD/HGST Ultrastar 6TB drives (HUS726T6TALE6L4)

The issue I'm now faced with is that I cannot get Data Scrubbing to complete! The normal scheduled run will kick in randomly and then go to a status of "Waiting for another task to finish" and then randomly start again later on. If I try to run a manual Data Scrubbing task, it gets to around 1.45% and then stops!

I have tried rebooting, turning off all possibly packages and Docker containers etc, removing the schedule and running manually, nothing has worked!

Does anyone have any ideas to resolve this? Or can i provide any logs somehow to help? I'm worried about the integrity of my data with it as it is.

Thanks

Matt

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2020 at 8:06 PM, jamkiki72 said:

SMR hard drives?

Google: smr disk drives raid problems

I don't think so, I'll do some more Googling though but appears to only be Reds/Red Pro not the enterprise stuff (I wouldn't imagine WD to scrimp on Enterprise either). 

What are the implications of using them? The only issue I have is the data scrubbing not working, haven't had any other issues at all (RAID healthy, SMART healthy, all functioning normally etc).

My odd thoughts are;

Mix of sata 3 and sata 2 channels, maybe a cache/speed issue, disable or enable cache in storage manager?

Power supply 3.3v connectors, or not, all drives powered with or without these? Check if drives/PSU are in conflict with 3.3v options, hibernation etc

On 4/27/2020 at 10:27 PM, sbv3000 said:

My odd thoughts are;

Mix of sata 3 and sata 2 channels, maybe a cache/speed issue, disable or enable cache in storage manager?

Power supply 3.3v connectors, or not, all drives powered with or without these? Check if drives/PSU are in conflict with 3.3v options, hibernation etc

It is a mix of SATA 3 and SATA 2 yes, but its the same hardware as what I previously had 6.1.7 running on and that had 0 issues. 
I'll try disabling (or enabling) cache and see if that makes a difference. 
The 3.3v thing you completely lost me? 

• 3 weeks later...

You may have fixed this but my comment about 3.3v is that 'some' drives have strange behaviour if powered with the 3.3v supply as well as the usual 5v and 12v. so try sata power connectors without it (the orange lead), alternatively make sure all drives either have it or not, ie not a mix