XPEnology Community

Upgrading an older version just to access data

A friend of mine brought be a machine I build for him years ago running DSM 5.2-5592.2

It boots from a CD and loads just fine... he just doesn't know the admin password and apparently doesn't have a management link on any of his computers with saved passwords. Since I'm not in the practice of saving passwords for builds I do for other people and I don't desire going through the barmetal 6.x stuff if I can help it I'm looking for a guide to maybe to a 5.2 upgrade to a later version if that will help me get at the data. I've tried the resetuser=admin parameter at boot and admin isn't letting me in.

The goal here is simply to get a look at the data and potentially copy anything that's needed before getting him setup with a new solution. Since there are three drives I'm guessing it's raid5 or whatever the special raid in DSM is so I don't imagine mounting the array is easily possible?

Thanks for any poitners.,

kkOH

Migrating the system won’t help because things like accounts remain intact. If you simply want to access and copy the data you can try a live linux distro and mount the raid with mdam or add a small hdd/ssd to the system and install OpenMediaVault on it. It can mount the raid so that you can access it again.

So a clean install of a later 5.2 version should give me access to the data?

If so, is there a proper doc/page to refer to. The current page that has all of the builds and what not seems to be particular to the 6.x baremetal jun loader which requires quite a bit more than a simple install.

Also thanks to both for the reply... I didn't realize that it was a standard linux raid software array. I assumed there was some crazy syno specific logic in it.