XPEnology Community

Auto update and RDM

htpcdude

Hi,

I have two questions

• Does DSM 6.2.2-24922 in ESXi auto update?  I created two DSM 6.2.2-24922 VMs, both DS3615xs, with the 1.03b loader.  One is on Update 4 and the other is on Update 6.  It's been days but 6.2.2-24922 Update 4 never updates to Update 6.
  • When adding disks via RDM, is there any performance difference whether the disks are all added to one virtual SATA controller vs multiple virtual SATA controllers?

Thanks,

DSM updates according to the settings that you have configured.  The platform does not matter, except that Synology does not push to all platforms or devices at once.  It's not recommended that you ever auto-update with XPenology, but rather control the updates to make sure they are functional with your platform and hardware first.

The main reason there would be a difference between disks on one controller versus several is if physical access to bus bandwidth was constrained. For example, a  4-port SATA controller on PCIe 2.0 x1, fully populated running SSD's would substantially exceed the bandwidth available and performance would suffer.

Logically, there is no such bandwidth restriction on a virtual SATA controller.  However, it could still depend on how your disks (that you are presenting to ESXi guest via RDM) are physically configured per the above.

I expect the only way to tell for sure is to try it.  But really I think it would be a waste of time.

I don't set DSM to auto update.  I have it set to notify me when updates are available.  These are my first test XPenology vms in ESXi and I was wondering if there was something I missed in the forums about needing to manually update.  I've been running XPenology via bare metal up until now.

Thanks for replying