XPEnology Community

Help installing on KVM

mrme01

On 4/5/2020 at 8:35 PM, gadreel said:

I tried ESXI... but I found it complicate.

Let me know if you succeed.

Fast forward a day or so, I hove jumped ship to Proxmox/PVE.

I just had a thought, do I need to have a drive attached to the VM for the initial setup? I ask as I am going to passthrough a HBA to the VM, I booted it first as as sanity check, hoping to get some form of failure message about missing disks, before continuing to add the HBA.

3 hours ago, mrme01 said:

Tried Unraid, no difference, even with a 10GB SATA disk attached to the VM.

This is getting peculiar. No instance of KVM seems to be working for me. 

Yes indeed. I am attaching my XML to try once more with Unraid, but as you said if this does not work it means there is something else going on when you are loading the Loader.

I added comments to some parts of the XML so you can understand what I am doing, it does not have to be similar to mine. For my setup the key parts to make it work was the USB 3.0 XHCI to boot from the USB, the SATA Controllers which I also had to edit the controller number and the unit number. But definitely start with a single SATA virtual disk for now and then make the rest work and finally I changed my virtual NIC to e1000 when I first started to try this on Unraid.

Also, go and download the loader for the 3615xs or 3517xs (I am not sure about the models if I wrote them correct) the  loader is 1.03b and 1.02 I believe and try Unraid on them also. They also worked for me on Unraid. Also on my XML I wrote in the comments that I am passing through my NIC because is compatible. This is not mandatory for you, you can create a virtual NIC with the model e1000 like the previous xml part that I pasted to you. I have a Test 918+ which is like that and it works fine.

If nothing of this work, then if you want to know what is going on I think somewhere on the forum the community is saying that if you are installing XPEnology BareMetal and your board has a serial port, and you have the cable of course you can see what is going on with the loader. It's the only way I believe. I am not 100% sure about this info.

I hope you get a different outcome.

Screenshot_2020-04-07 Unraid UpdateVM.png

ds918+.xml

Edited by gadreel

2 minutes ago, mrme01 said:

Reading another tutorial (jumped ship again to ESXi), it says to wait before trying to connect. I've been doing it as soon as the VM boots and giving up after a minute or so. Is that where I am going wrong? How long should I give DHCP to do it's thing?

I do not think so, but give it a minute or two is a good practice. More than that your router is bad. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if it's relevant anymore but I do have some virtual DS918+ running on SUSE KVM hosts (openSUSE Leap and SLES 15 SP1) for testing purposes.

As always, you will need to modify the synoboot file to match the MAC address. Then create a new VM using virt-manager following these steps:

1. Click to create a new VM, select "Import existing disk image"

2. On the next screen select the modified synoboot-ds918.img, as an OS, I normally just select "Generic default"

3. Increase memory and CPU to what you required (as a minimum I always select 4096 MB and 4 cores to match the DS918+)

4. On the next screen, change the name and check your network selection - IMPORTANT: Enable the "Customize configuration before install" option and click Finish.

5. Change/make sure that the "synoboot-ds918.img" is set to "USB" under Advanced Options. Under "Performance options", change the "Cache mode" to "none" and "IO mode" to "native"

6. Click "Add Hardware" to add another disc (ie. your data disk), make sure to select "SATA" under "Bus type" and again under "Performance options", change the "Cache mode" to "none" and "IO mode" to "native"

7. Double check the network card is "e1000" and that the MAC address is correct (otherwise, correct the MAC address as it has to match what was entered in the synoboot.

8. Under "Controller USB 2", change to to "USB 3"

You are done and can now click on "Begin Installation". I normally just the the installation program download the latest version directly from Synology during the installation.

• 2 months later...

Hello,

Not sure too if still relevant. But, I've experience myself this message "Screen will stop updating, please got to find.synology.com" WITH NOTHING MORE HAPPENED. In my environment, the reason was the disk type. KVM seems always set it by default to IDE. I just had to change it to SATA. And then, the installation run fine. As mentioned in other post  threads, if you use KVM, the disk type must NOT be USB but SATA (or eventually IDE if you are still using IDE disk).  I didn't have to modify something else, no need in my environment to set/modify loader parameters.

Edited by Giml

Hello,

8 hours ago, Giml said:

Hello,

Not sure too if still relevant. But, I've experience myself this message "Screen will stop updating, please got to find.synology.com" WITH NOTHING MORE HAPPENED. In my environment, the reason was the disk type. KVM seems always set it by default to IDE. I just had to change it to SATA. And then, the installation run fine. As mentioned in other post  threads, if you use KVM, the disk type must NOT be USB but SATA (or eventually IDE if you are still using IDE disk).  I didn't have to modify something else, no need in my environment to set/modify loader parameters.

Correct, the  DATA Disks (ie, where the Synology should stores data) needs to be SATA (in some cases you can also use IDE). Generally for the "synoboot" you can use any disk type.

I've found that when using DS918 synoboot, you HAVE to make sure that the usb controller is set to USB3 in the libvirt config - this may not always be the default. For the DS3615xs however it normally works with usb controller set to USB2.

Hello Kimf,

I meant assuming your boot loader is stored on hard disk or ssd (and not on an USB device), then you have to set your disk type to SATA (eventually IDE) for the synoboot and not USB.

PS1: Using KVM, I can't see why it would be relevant to use an USB device to boot (with the boot loader stored on this USB device)

PS2: I wrote this post because it seemed to me that some although storing the loader on disk, they put USB in disk type, which explains their difficulties.

Edited by Giml

• 8 months later...
On 4/28/2020 at 6:42 PM, kimf said:

Not sure if it's relevant anymore but I do have some virtual DS918+ running on SUSE KVM hosts (openSUSE Leap and SLES 15 SP1) for testing purposes.

As always, you will need to modify the synoboot file to match the MAC address. Then create a new VM using virt-manager following these steps:

1. Click to create a new VM, select "Import existing disk image"

2. On the next screen select the modified synoboot-ds918.img, as an OS, I normally just select "Generic default"

3. Increase memory and CPU to what you required (as a minimum I always select 4096 MB and 4 cores to match the DS918+)

4. On the next screen, change the name and check your network selection - IMPORTANT: Enable the "Customize configuration before install" option and click Finish.

5. Change/make sure that the "synoboot-ds918.img" is set to "USB" under Advanced Options. Under "Performance options", change the "Cache mode" to "none" and "IO mode" to "native"

6. Click "Add Hardware" to add another disc (ie. your data disk), make sure to select "SATA" under "Bus type" and again under "Performance options", change the "Cache mode" to "none" and "IO mode" to "native"

7. Double check the network card is "e1000" and that the MAC address is correct (otherwise, correct the MAC address as it has to match what was entered in the synoboot.

8. Under "Controller USB 2", change to to "USB 3"

You are done and can now click on "Begin Installation". I normally just the the installation program download the latest version directly from Synology during the installation.

Is there a way to pass the usb vid and pid ?  Thanks