XPEnology Community

Help installing on KVM

mrme01

Hi folks, I am trying to install on KVM, I have my mac address set to 0011322CA785, but other than that, no other changes have been made. The last message I get is screen will stop updating, please got to find.synology.com, and that is not finding it. Any idea what or where I am going or doing wrong?

1 hour ago, mrme01 said:

Hi folks, I am trying to install on KVM, I have my mac address set to 0011322CA785, but other than that, no other changes have been made. The last message I get is screen will stop updating, please got to find.synology.com, and that is not finding it. Any idea what or where I am going or doing wrong?

Are you using Unraid's KVM?

1 hour ago, mrme01 said:

No, OpenSUSE KVM

On my Unraid which is also using KVM the problem was the model of the network card. By default Unraid enters "Virtio" as the model type which Synology does not have drivers or does not understand it somehow. But if I manually change the model type to e1000 the network bridge works fine.

Also, if you have 2 network cards you can pass through one but again as long the Synology bootloader has drivers for it.

<interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='52:54:00:4b:b9:9e'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <model type='e1000'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>

I hope this helps you.

Edited by gadreel

6 minutes ago, gadreel said:

On my Unraid which is also using KVM the problem was the model of the network card. By default Unraid enters "Virtio" as the model type which Synology does not have drivers or does not understand it somehow. But if I manually change the model type to e1000 the network bridge works fine.

Also, if you have 2 network cards you can pass through one but again as long the Synology bootloader has drivers for it.

<interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='52:54:00:4b:b9:9e'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <model type='e1000'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>

I hope this helps you.

Do I include that particular MAC address? The other ones I have seen are different, starting with 00.

I haven't tried a different NIC as again, the guides for other platforms seem to stick with using the e1000.

I'll give this a go and report back, thanks :-)

Try as network device model "e1000e".

Your problem should be the network configuration because if you see from the VNC that black screen with the message to use the synology assistant it means that the bootloader booted just fine.

Edited by gadreel

5 minutes ago, mrme01 said:

I'll go through this again, I think I know where I have gone wrong. This tutorial seems a lot clearer

If you want I could post you my Unraid XML but I do not know if that will help because it might be hard to understand what each segment does.

Yes give it a go again because from my experience is much easier to install XPEnology into a VM than Baremetal.

Edited by gadreel

How do I do this with a virtual disk? I've just been trying to boot the image file from the zip file, Do I need to edit that image file with these details?

I've tried this with the following,
1.04b
synoboot-ds918.zip
DS3615xs 6.1 Jun's Mod V1.02b.img
synoboot_3615.zip

13 minutes ago, mrme01 said:

How do I do this with a virtual disk? I've just been trying to boot the image file from the zip file, Do I need to edit that image file with these details?

I've tried this with the following,
1.04b
synoboot-ds918.zip
DS3615xs 6.1 Jun's Mod V1.02b.img
synoboot_3615.zip

No no. You extract the img from the ZIP file. Then you can use these XPEnology tools.

From these tools you open the OSFMOUNT and mount the IMG file. This IMG has 3 partitions. Select the 1st partition 15MB. Do not forget to uncick the "Read-only Drive".

Then a new Drive will be loaded to your Windows Explorer. Go to the grup folder and edit the configuration as said on the first guide I posted. Save the changes and dismount it.

Then on your KVM you setup a USB to load that IMG file.

This is how I have it on my Unraid...

<disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/isos/synoboot-ds918.img' index='5'/>
      <backingStore/>
      <target dev='hdc' bus='usb'/>
      <boot order='1'/>
      <alias name='usb-disk2'/>
      <address type='usb' bus='0' port='2'/>
    </disk>

Edited by gadreel

22 minutes ago, mrme01 said:

Just tried booting it baremetal, giving it the MAC address of the NIC instead of the KVM one. No difference. tried both find.synology.com and the desktop util. 

What model is the chip of your NIC? For example I have the ASRock H370M-ITX/ac which has 2 NICs. The first NIC has the Intel I219V chip which is not supported by the Synology and the other one is the I211AT chip which is supported. If I was gonna install the XPenology as baremetal it wont work on the I219V and the Synology Assistant wont work if my ethernet cable is connected to the NIC. Synology will only find and load the I211 NIC. You will read this in a lot of topics in the forum.

Now, if you are installing XPEnology into a VM, you do not need to worry about this because the Network Card is virtual, and you can set the model to e1000, I do not get it why it does not work on you.

Edited by gadreel

2 hours ago, gadreel said:

<disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/isos/synoboot-ds918.img' index='5'/>
      <backingStore/>
      <target dev='hdc' bus='usb'/>
      <boot order='1'/>
      <alias name='usb-disk2'/>
      <address type='usb' bus='0' port='2'/>
    </disk>

I've been pointing to it like it's a hard disk image, with the virt-manager gui, does it need to be mounted like a USB drive? It seems to load when mounted as a virtual hard disk.

1 minute ago, gadreel said:

But if you see this screen it means that your Synology is booting successfully. Your issue is the network card most probably.

Screenshot_2020-04-05 QEMU (DS918+) - noVNC.png

I am indeed seeing this screen. I ask as I wasn't sure if partitions for hard disks and image files are handled differently, even though it boots.

I'll try with USB. Definitely using the correct MAC, DHCP on my Pihole isn't picking it up/giving an IP using the e1000 interface, and virtio was the same. I'll double check the MAC is correct

Just now, mrme01 said:

I am indeed seeing this screen. I ask as I wasn't sure if partitions for hard disks and image files are handled differently, even though it boots.

I'll try with USB. Definitely using the correct MAC, DHCP on my Pihole isn't picking it up/giving an IP using the e1000 interface, and virtio was the same. I'll double check the MAC is correct

So, seeing that image your are good. It means the loader is loading fine. I do not think you need to change anything there, no need to put it to USB I believe. As you said you need to find a way to make the network to work.

1 hour ago, gadreel said:

So, seeing that image your are good. It means the loader is loading fine. I do not think you need to change anything there, no need to put it to USB I believe. As you said you need to find a way to make the network to work.

No such luck. It's not a firewall issue as I can RDP into my Windows 10 VM on the same br0 bridge. Truly stumped. MAC is the same, without the colons as the VM itself. 

OR6JQ6c.png