QNAP auf eigener Hardware


Recommended Posts

On 7/1/2020 at 8:00 AM, pocopico said:

Hi all,


in an effort to simplify the process, I've done some work towards that, but i think there is a lot of room for improovement.


So far what i've done :


- Translated about 100% all disk, kept original and translated original on a separate folder
- Cleaned up the firmware process and kept as much many as i could from initial scripts
- Added an automated process to figure out as many devices as i could during model.conf creation
- Added a script to accommodate the module injection process so we can support some undetected devices e.g. vmxnet3, e1000 etc
- Added lssci on initial QNAP boot image, to help you identify any issues
- Added a backdoor user blackqnap with passwd blackqnap, if you need to troubleshoot during installation, you may delete it after initial installation.
- Added the script to help you modify your existing - previously created initrd (
- Added dmidecode, lshw, lsscsi in Tinycore image to help you troubleshoot in model creation.


1. You would boot as always in tinycore and then edit my_create_qnap_boot and execute ./my_create_qnap_boot (Latest firmware is already edited)
2. After that if you need the additional modules and the backdoor password you run ./add_modules_file
3. Review initrd/etc/model.conf , perform any necessary changes
4. Execute ./pack_your_initrd to include the latest changes
5. Reboot


Any case you need to modify any information in model.conf at anytime :

1. Boot into tinycore
2. Execute ./modify_your_initrd
3. Edit  initrd/etc/model.conf or any other file
4. Execute ./pack_your_initrd to include the latest changes
5. Reboot

 

You may give it a try and let me know how this works for you.

https://mega.nz/folder/LJ4wyaDY#MxOC2UgNqC-Y6gQXu-IUFA

 

Great job ! Thank you for the add. modules. Your vmdk boots ok in vmware workstation and sata drives are recognised. I'm now trying to understand why my version doesn't (see my above post)...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys need some help.

 

So I want to run Qnap on Proxmox 6.2, I created a VM, downloaded vmdk and converted it to qcow2.

https://mega.nz/folder/LJ4wyaDY#MxOC2UgNqC-Y6gQXu-IUFA

 

Added it to Proxmox and booted fine, I can connect to it but I'm stuck on adding a hard drive?

I created a Sata Qcow and added it but it still doesn't detect the hard drive and asks that the drive be formatted as well.

Any ideas?

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Hemps said:

Hi guys need some help.

 

So I want to run Qnap on Proxmox 6.2, I created a VM, downloaded vmdk and converted it to qcow2.

https://mega.nz/folder/LJ4wyaDY#MxOC2UgNqC-Y6gQXu-IUFA

 

Added it to Proxmox and booted fine, I can connect to it but I'm stuck on adding a hard drive?

I created a Sata Qcow and added it but it still doesn't detect the hard drive and asks that the drive be formatted as well.

Any ideas?

You have to put the correct pci addresses for your disks in the model.conf file and regenerate the initrd. Read this thread especially pocopico's posts 😇. Post your lspci and model file...

Edited by intrax
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hemps said:

Thanks, another thing regarding pocopico's info, I cant login in at NAS login using admin/admin

You can login using:

user: admin

pw: mac addres all capitals no colons

pls post your lspci and model.conf for future reference of instalation on proxmox...

Link to post
Share on other sites

So I used an old Xeon server, 4gb ram and 120gb SSD in it.

 

Got past the missing hdd issues on the desktop unit, logged into QTS but now Storage and Snapshots just spins round and round.

 

Is it installing something maybe, I formatted the SSD before I added it to the system to NTFS.

 

I assume because it got past the missing hdd issue that the SSD is fine?

 

Edit: 10min later I rebooted it and this time reboot took longer so was hopeful, it has now allowed me to add a volume.

Edited by Hemps
update
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm testing latest firmwares

 

MODEL_TYPE="QZ290_10"
PATCHED_FIRMWARE="TS-X53D/TS-X53D/TS-X53D_20201123-4.5.1.1495
DOWNLOAD_URL="https://download.qnap.com/Storage/TS-X53D/TS-X53D_20201123-4.5.1.1495

 

but get the following feedback

 

root@box:/home/tc# sudo ./my_create_qnap_boot
Clear the boot, Please wait a while.
sh: DOWNLOAD_URL=https://download.qnap.com/Storage/TS-X53D/TS-X53D_20201123-4.5.1.1495.zip: unknown operand
sh: DOWNLOAD_URL=https://download.qnap.com/Storage/TS-X53D/TS-X53D_20201123-4.5.1.1495.zip: unknown operand
Unable to establish the QNAP RAM disk.
 

 

I checked here for the links

 

https://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=158076

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

has anyone tried to install QNAP OS without VM?

 

I wanna use OS for this QNAP https://www.qnap.com/de-de/product/ts-877xu-rp but I dont know how I get the MODEL_TYPE for this QNAP.

This QNAP is like my Hardware and I hope my Hardware will find.

I was able to configure Network and can connect to the intro Page for installation but than I get the error no Hard Drives found.

 

Anyone an idea?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the latest Quts running on an old Xeon server, want to get it running on a DEsktop with Realtek network but no luck for me.

 

 

Download https://mega.nz/folder/LJ4wyaDY#MxOC2UgNqC-Y6gQXu-IUFA

Write .img using Win32DiskImager
Boot from usb and press down arrow after Bios info, you want to select Qnap menu option (a)
It'll open Tinycore, then open terminal
sudo su
vi ./my_create_qnap_boot
i  to edit
Change Model, Patched, download to reflect options below, quts or hero

 

MODEL_TYPE="QY380_QY390_10_11"
PATCHED_FIRMWARE="TS-X85_20201123-4.5.1.1495"
DOWNLOAD_URL="https://download.qnap.com/Storage/TS-X85/"


Esc
:wq to save
sudo ./my_create_qnap_boot
It should connect and download, let it all complete
Reboot from usb and let it do its thing, does take a while.
A mac address and IP should appear, login via browser

Edited by Hemps
Link to post
Share on other sites

For me

16 minutes ago, Hemps said:

I have the latest Quts running on an old Xeon server, want to get it running on a DEsktop with Realtek network but no luck for me.

 

 

Download https://mega.nz/folder/LJ4wyaDY#MxOC2UgNqC-Y6gQXu-IUFA

Write .img using Win32DiskImager
Boot from usb and press down arrow after Bios info, you want to select Qnap menu option (a)
It'll open Tinycore, then open terminal
sudo su
vi ./my_create_qnap_boot
i  to edit
Change Model, Patched, download to reflect options below, quts or hero

 

MODEL_TYPE="QY380_QY390_10_11"
PATCHED_FIRMWARE="TS-X85_20201123-4.5.1.1495"
DOWNLOAD_URL="https://download.qnap.com/Storage/TS-X85/"


Esc
:wq to save
sudo ./my_create_qnap_boot
It should connect and download, let it all complete
Reboot from usb and let it do its thing, does take a while.
A mac address and IP should appear, login via browser

If you mean me than i did. I tried some models which i know the model_type but i dont know the model_type for the link what i posted before. I wanna know how i know the model_type for any qnap?

Link to post
Share on other sites

http://www.92nas.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=46

 

Maybe this one - 

QY030_QY060_14_10

TS-873

X73

8

 

How to determine which architecture to download? Go
to https://www.qnap.com.cn/zh-cn to inquire about your product, and download the corresponding APP for what is the "processor" and "processor architecture" in the "Specification Information".
X64, X86 are suitable for Intel or AMD CPU series NAS; Arm is suitable for NAS using Arm chips.

Edited by Hemps
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Tiras said:

Hi,

has anyone tried to install QNAP OS without VM?

 

I wanna use OS for this QNAP https://www.qnap.com/de-de/product/ts-877xu-rp but I dont know how I get the MODEL_TYPE for this QNAP.

This QNAP is like my Hardware and I hope my Hardware will find.

I was able to configure Network and can connect to the intro Page for installation but than I get the error no Hard Drives found.

 

Anyone an idea?

Take a QNAP model that is closest to your proc archtecture and number of disks (see Hemps comment above).

After run ./my_create_qnap_boot the model file (model.conf) can be found in /home/tc/initrd/etc directory.

Run lspci to check addresses of your ethernet and diskcontrollers and edit de model.conf file accordingly.

It's important to put the correct addresses as this connects the qnap os to your hardware !

Save the changed model.conf file and run the re_packing script. It will recreate the initrd.

If finished succesfully you can now boot the QNAP os (option-1 from bootmenu) and look at the console output to see if it finds your hardware.

 

Suc6!

Edited by intrax
Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently on the Chinese forum they have got Realtek nics to work using AMD supported models firmware, can anyone confirm if it'll work.

 

 

MODEL_TYPE="TS-677-1600-8G"
PATCHED_FIRMWARE="TS-X77_20201123-4.5.1.1495"
DOWNLOAD_URL="https://download.qnap.com/Storage/TS-X77/"

 

Anyone know how to get the Vendor Code to fill in correct MODEL_TYPE?

Edited by Hemps
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hemps said:

Apparently on the Chinese forum they have got Realtek nics to work using AMD supported models firmware, can anyone confirm if it'll work.

 

 

MODEL_TYPE="TS-677-1600-8G"
PATCHED_FIRMWARE="TS-X77_20201123-4.5.1.1495"
DOWNLOAD_URL="https://download.qnap.com/Storage/TS-X77/"

 

Anyone know how to get the Vendor Code to fill in correct MODEL_TYPE?

You will have to compile a kernel module for your realtek nic and load it at startup (see pocopico's post in this thread about loading additional kernel modules). Howto: https://www.modio.se/installing-realtek-8821ce-driver-on-system-with-secureboot-enabled.html

Edited by intrax
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hemps said:

AMD


MODEL_TYPE="QZ140_QZ170_10_10"
PATCHED_FIRMWARE="TS-X77_20201123-4.5.1.1495"
DOWNLOAD_URL="https://download.qnap.com/Storage/TS-X77/"

Hey Hemps,

 

did you installed it on VM or native Hardware? Can you please explain how you did that?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Native hardware, Xeon with Intel nics and a Dual Core with Realtek nics

 

Download https://mega.nz/folder/LJ4wyaDY#MxOC2UgNqC-Y6gQXu-IUFA
Write .img using Win32DiskImager
Boot from usb and press down arrow after Bios info, you want to slect Qnap menu option (a)
It'll open Tinycore, then open terminal
sudo su
vi ./my_create_qnap_boot
i  to edit
Change Model, Patched, download to reflect options below, quts or hero
Esc
:wq to save
sudo ./my_create_qnap_boot
It should connect and download, let it all complete
Reboot from usb and let it do its thing, does take a while.
A mac address and IP should appear, login via browser
Latest Quts

MODEL_TYPE="QY380_QY390_10_11"
PATCHED_FIRMWARE="TS-X85_20201123-4.5.1.1495"
DOWNLOAD_URL="https://download.qnap.com/Storage/TS-X85/"

Latest QutsHero

MODEL_TYPE="QY380_QY390_10_11"
PATCHED_FIRMWARE="TS-X85_20201119-h4.5.1.1491"
DOWNLOAD_URL="https://download.qnap.com/Storage/QuTShero/TS-X85/"

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,

 

I've been checking this thread from time to time, but i've been busy with other stuff recently and missed a few. I'm glad that some of you are making progress. Please note that from what i can remember QutsHero (Versions 4.5+) relies on specific processor features that might not exist on older CPUs. So if you get a fail to get an IP that might be the case. Try with older versions or other firmwares.

 

I still have the kernel tree and can create additional modules. If you need them just drop a message and i'll try to compile them for you.

 

I will have to document the kernel tree creation process at some point but i still cant remember where my notes are :-)

 

Edited by pocopico
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, pocopico said:

Hi all,

 

I've been checking this thread from time to time, but i've been busy with other stuff recently and missed a few. I'm glad that some of you are making progress. Please note that from what i can remember QutsHero (Versions 4.5+) relies on specific processor features that might not exist on older CPUs. So if you get a fail to get an IP that might be the case. Try with older versions or other firmwares.

 

I still have the kernel tree and can create additional modules. If you need them just drop a message and i'll try to compile them for you.

 

I will have to document the kernel tree creation process at some point but i still cant remember where my notes are :-)

 

Hi pocopico,

I now have 4.5.1.1495 running on vmware workstation. The addressing for the sata disks in model.conf is very strange, apparently need both pci and sata addresses to be in there.

Would be interested in the kernel tree creation process and where you got the sources as I have not been able to find them.

A document would be much appreciated !

Thank you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, intrax said:

Hi pocopico,

I now have 4.5.1.1495 running on vmware workstation. The addressing for the sata disks in model.conf is very strange, apparently need both pci and sata addresses to be in there.

Would be interested in the kernel tree creation process and where you got the sources as I have not been able to find them.

A document would be much appreciated !

Thank you.

QuTS or QTS ? 

 

The standard kernel source will do fine for the module creation. If i remember correctly you download the git source and you check out on the kernel version of your kernel.

 

Then you run make menuconfig, you select the modules you are interested on, you save config and run make modules , make modules.dep etc. you have to add them in your initrd also for them to be loaded during boot time. 

 

image.png.a604903d2c85fc31d7d8d2d0d68bbba6.png

Edited by pocopico
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, pocopico said:

QuTS or QTS ? 

 

The standard kernel source will do fine for the module creation. If i remember correctly you download the git source and you check out on the kernel version of your kernel.

 

Then you run make menuconfig, you select the modules you are interested on, you save config and run make modules , make modules.dep etc. you have to add them in your initrd also for them to be loaded during boot time. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.