XPEnology Community

QNAP auf eigener Hardware

fa2k

Das "ausrechnen" des DEV_PORT kann man sich übrigens gut aus dem Skript hardware_check klauen:

Mit lspci den Controller raussuchen und dann als Wert in die erste Zeile eintragen:

DEV_BUS=02:01.0

DEV_BUS=$(echo ${DEV_BUS} | cut -d' ' -f1)
MYBUS=$(echo ${DEV_BUS} | cut -d':' -f1)
DEV_BUS=$(echo ${DEV_BUS} | cut -d':' -f2)
MYDEV=$(echo ${DEV_BUS} | cut -d'.' -f1)
MYFUNC=$(echo ${DEV_BUS} | cut -d'.' -f2)
DEV_BUS=$(printf "DEV_BUS=B%02d:D%02d:F%0d" "0x$MYBUS" "0x$MYDEV" "0x$MYFUNC")

echo $DEV_BUS

Ich werde es mal mit einer der kleineren Varianten probieren und auch beide conf Dateien anpassen.

Ich hab Versuchsweise mal auf die TS-653B umgestellt und mir ist in der model_Q*.conf Datei aufgefallen, dass hier mehrere Controller mit jeweils nur zwei Ports verwendet werden. In der model.conf wurden die mehreren Controller durch den ersten SATA ersetzt, so dass im Endeffekt jeweils 4x der DEV_PORT=0 und DEV_PORT=1 verwendet wurden. Das kann natürlich nicht richtig sein. Fazit: mit einem Bash-Skript kann man das natürlich nicht sauber hinbekommen. Das braucht schon eine echte Programmiersprache, um das richtig automatisieren zu können.

Scheinbar bleibt einem hier nichts anders übrig, als alle Variante mal durchzuprobieren. 🤨🤨

Edited by haydibe

First of all, I am very sorry for hijacking this thread and write in English but my German is a "bit" rusty.

Saw this thread and decided to give it a try for experimental sake.

Board used:
MB from Lenovo H30-00, integrated J1800 CPU, 2 SATA ports
- added to MB: mini PCI-E to 2 SATA ports controller with AsMedia ASM1061 chipset, that makes total of 4 SATA ports
- MB Realtek FE LAN disabled in BIOS, Intel i350-T2 used for connectivity
- 4 500GB empty SATA disks used (2 on MB, 2 on ASM1061 miniPCI-E to 2port SATA)

MODEL that was emulated is: TS-453A

Tryed at least 10 times install, wipe, reinstall to make ASM1061 controller to work
For it lspci says: 02:00.0 Class 0106: 1B21:0612

Tryed to change Disk 3 and Disk 4 from DEV_BUS=B00:D19:FO to B02:D00:F0

from this:

[System Disk 3]
DEV_BUS=B00:D19:FO (originally same on all "System Disk 1 to 4")
[System Disk 4]
DEV_BUS=B00:D19:FO (originally same on all "System Disk 1 to 4")

to

[System Disk 3]
DEV_BUS=B02:D00:F0 (should be this for ASM1061)
[System Disk 4]
DEV_BUS=B02:D00:F0 (should be this for ASM1061)

That was no go, only 2 MB connected disks recognized and usable.

After two days of experimenting with DEV_BUS to make ASM1061 and all 4 disks to work finaly found solution and it is as follows.

When opening "/home/tc/mymodel/model.conf" among others for me it contains this:

[System Network 3]
DEV_BUS=B00:D28:F3  (- note this)
PCI_SWITCH_PORT = 7
DEV_PORT = 0
[System Network 4]
PCI_SWITCH_PORT = 3
DEV_PORT = 0

When I changed Disk 3 and Disk 4 from DEV_BUS=B00:D19:FO to B00:D28:F3 ,all disks are visible and usable!!

Tried just like this

[System Disk 3]
DEV_BUS=B00:D28:F3
[System Disk 4]
DEV_BUS=B00:D28:F3

so, same DEV_BUS as for [System Network 3] and [System Network 4]
WITHOUT DELETING values or anything else of [System Network 3] and [System Network 4]

Wiped everything and tried new install with changes as stated above but this time
DELETED THIS:

[System Network 3]
PCI_SWITCH_PORT = 7
DEV_PORT = 0
[System Network 4]
PCI_SWITCH_PORT = 3
DEV_PORT = 0

Everything working the OK.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Workflow for whom might this help
Hardware as stated above (adjust to yours), model emulated TS-453A

CHOSE
(a)
            OPEN TERMINAL (BOTTOM RIGHT) AND TYPE
ifconfig
TO FIND NAS IP ADDRESS          

CONNECT WITH PUTTY TO NAS IP
USER:
tc
PASS:

vi ./my_create_qnap_boot

i

DATA TO CHANGE FOR "TS-453A" IS AS FOLLOWS - IF YOU CHOSE ANOTHER MODEL, FILL ACCORDINGLY

QX850_QX670_12_10
TS-X53A_20200410-4.4.2.1270
https://download.qnap.com/Storage/TS-X53II/

:wq

sudo ./my_create_qnap_boot

DON'T RESTART IF YOU NED TO ADD OR CHANGE HARDWARE - PROCEED AS FOLLOWS:

cd /home/tc/mymodel/

vi ./model.conf

i

MAKE CHANGES YOU NEED - FOR MY CASE I CHANGED AND DELETED LINES STATED ABOVE

:wq

cd /home/tc/

sudo cp -f ./mymodel/* ./initrd/etc/

sudo ./re_packing

exit

RESTART FROM TINY CORE

------------------------------------------------------------
Connect to web GUI of the NAS with some browser (should be the same IP you used for PUTTY), if not, use qfinder app.
Follow on-screen instruction to install and configure NAS.

When done it will lead you to web management and this is where some strange thing happens to me every time.

When yo click "go to web management" (or similar, cant remember) you are presented
with login screen where you put credentials, one that you created during web GUI install phase.

For me this first logon always ends with endless loading screen after putting my username/password.

The solution for this is always the same and working:
- press power button on the "NAS" and wait till it shuts down
- optional but recommended - clear browser cache
- press power and wait till NAS boot - takes long time, just like original QNAP (have 2, 431 and 431p2)
  and wait (again, takes long time, in my case at least 10min)

From now on you can logon to web GUI without problems and finish setup.

Regards

• Like 2

8 hours ago, haydibe said:

Ich hab Versuchsweise mal auf die TS-653B umgestellt und mir ist in der model_Q*.conf Datei aufgefallen, dass hier mehrere Controller mit jeweils nur zwei Ports verwendet werden. In der model.conf wurden die mehreren Controller durch den ersten SATA ersetzt, so dass im Endeffekt jeweils 4x der DEV_PORT=0 und DEV_PORT=1 verwendet wurden. Das kann natürlich nicht richtig sein. Fazit: mit einem Bash-Skript kann man das natürlich nicht sauber hinbekommen. Das braucht schon eine echte Programmiersprache, um das richtig automatisieren zu können.

Scheinbar bleibt einem hier nichts anders übrig, als alle Variante mal durchzuprobieren. 🤨🤨

Beachte bitte, dass das ./hardware_check Skript beim ./mycreate_qnap_boot ausgeführt und anhand des Ergebnisses die model.conf automatisch gepatcht wird.

4 hours ago, jamkiki72 said:

Wiped everything and tried new install with changes as stated above but this time
DELETED THIS:

[System Network 3]
PCI_SWITCH_PORT = 7
DEV_PORT = 0
[System Network 4]
PCI_SWITCH_PORT = 3
DEV_PORT = 0

Everything working the OK.

for you too, keep in mind that the ./hardware_check script will be executed after my_create_qnap_boot automaticly. As far as i know only while  ./re_packing you can add custom values and these changes will be transfered 

3 hours ago, T-REX-XP said:

Hi guys, Who knows how to create UEFI boot disk for Qnap? It looks like current version doesn't work for UEFI.

Thanks   

sure that this dont work? i have not test hardware anymore to try on a UEFI-only system, but as i remember i tested both methods and they worked UEFI and CSM

21 minutes ago, fa2k said:

for you too, keep in mind that the ./hardware_check script will be executed after my_create_qnap_boot automaticly. As far as i know only while  ./re_packing you can add custom values and these changes will be transfered 

This is the last line that appears in PUTTY after executing: sudo ./my_create_qnap_boot without HW add/mod.

"Create QNAP boot disk successful 如需要请修改mymodel目录下的model文件后,执行 sudo cp -f ./mymodel/* ./initrd/etc/
再执行 sudo ./re_packing 完成启动盘制作 如不需要请重启系统 "

Google translate:

"If necessary, please modify the "model" file in the "mymodel" directory,
execute sudo cp -f ./mymodel/* ./initrd/etc/
and then execute sudo ./re_packing to complete the boot disk production, if not, please restart the system"

Extracted QNAP-BOOT.img , sub-images ,and files to the last bit. Studied and in case of Chinese translated everything
in those files including obvious direction stated at the end of creating boot disk as noted above.

Whatever the case may be, workflow of commands and modifications I stated above works for me.
Thanks for sharing this "QNAPology" find.

37 minutes ago, fa2k said:

sure that this dont work? i have not test hardware anymore to try on a UEFI-only system, but as i remember i tested both methods and they worked UEFI and CSM

sure, i have tested on Atomic pi, it's single board PC, based on Intel Atom. But the bios have only UEFI mode and current boot image can't boot on it. ((

3 hours ago, fa2k said:

Beachte bitte, dass das ./hardware_check Skript beim ./mycreate_qnap_boot ausgeführt und anhand des Ergebnisses die model.conf automatisch gepatcht wird.

Ich hab mir die Skripte vorher natürlich angeschaut. Dank Bash ist die Erkennung der Controller auf 1 beschränkt, hier könnte man das Skript ggf. umstricken.

Worauf ich aber hinaus wollte ist, dass Teilweise die System Disks an unterschiedlichen DEV_BUS hängen und sich bei denen die DEV_PORTs wiederholen. Das Skript ersetzt alle DEV_BUS Angaben der System Disks mit den von hardware_check identifzierten Werte.  Am Ende kommt dann die Kombi DEV_BUS und DEV_PORT mehrfach vor. Das ist sicherlich nicht unproblematisch...

Wenn man Kontakt zum Entwickler hätte, könnte man ihm helfen das richtig hinzubekommen. Es gibt sogar ein Linux CLI-Werkzeug zum editieren von Ini-Dateien (die model.conf ist nichts anderes).

Danke, dass Du das ganze hier überhaut mit uns teilst und Dir die Mühe gemacht hast es zu beschreiben!

2 hours ago, jamkiki72 said:

Google translate:

"If necessary, please modify the "model" file in the "mymodel" directory,
execute sudo cp -f ./mymodel/* ./initrd/etc/
and then execute sudo ./re_packing to complete the boot disk production, if not, please restart the system"

I never bothered to take a look at the message or even though about translating it.

I missed the `sudo cp -f ./mymodel/* ./initrd/etc/` step completly.

Thanks for the hint!

Edited by haydibe

Hier nochmal der "Umrechner" für Leute mit mehr als einem Controller:

while read -r line; do 
  printf '%s -> DEV_BUS=B%02d:D%02d:F%0d\n'  "${line:0:7}" "0x${line:0:2}" "0x${line:3:2}" "0x${line:6:1}";
done < <(lspci | grep -E 'SATA|SCSI')

Leider gibt es kein Bash und es muss nachinstalliert und gestartet werden, dann klappt die Zeile oben auch

tce-load -wi bash
bash

Edited by haydibe

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, 

It looks like this qnap os release is working fine on UEFI and BIOS)) I have installed it on Atomic pi SBC, but HDD doesn't recognize (( i guess because no one SATA adapter is presented on this SBC. so my question is: How can I map USB disks to the HDD(system disk) ?? Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, thank you very much for the how-to, I managed to install TS-453Be on an Asrock J3455M (2 integrated Sata ports) with an extra pcie 4xSATA card SYBA SI-PEX40064 (Marvell 88SE9215 chip).  I may try to switch to TS-653B later to be able to use all of the Syba ports, even if this card is pcie x1 and will slow down data read/write with more than 2 disks on it.

I had to modify the [System Disk 3] and [System Disk 4] DEV_BUS in model.conf, the right address was listed in lspci and is corresponding to one of the pcie slots instead of the Syba itself (there were 4 pci devices listed, I tested those addresses one by one and finally found it). So, the good setting for this setup, when the SATA card is in pcie slot 1 on the motherboard is B00:D19:F1 (was listed as 00:13:1 in lspci, just convert from hexadecimal to decimal 13->19).

I only have one question regarding QTS updates, do we have to do it through the loader, by booting the usb then "vi ./my_create_qnap_boot" and edit "patched_firmware" to download the new QTS release, or can we just update in the Qnap web interface?

Edited by pmchan

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick feedback, I've tried to use an LSI 9211-8i pcie mini SAS to Sata card without success, the hard drives connected to this card are not listed in Qnap OS. I know the DEV_BUS I entered is correct because when I switch with the Syba SI-PEX40064, the HDD reappears in Qnap OS.

• 2 weeks later...

can we somehow lock the mac adress to be the same everytime.

then I shut the system and restart qnap i have have new mac adress, and this resolve my can't lock the ip adress, I have also try in qnap setup in network, manual ip setting next time i restart it i have new mac and ip.

else everything working with the new qts 

HS-453DX

thx carsten

I had the same problem with a motherboard  integrated nic, I think it's because I haven't find its DEV-BUS yet so at each reboot, qnap loader finds a "new" NIC when checking hardware available. You can verify in Qnap UI network panel, the network card obtains a new number at each boot (increment by 1) .

I've solved this problem by disabling integrated nic and adding a pcie network card in a slot I know the DEV-BUS address and modified, in model.conf, the [System Network 1] DEV_BUS=Bxx.Dxx.Fx accordingly.
Now, the mac address is always the same and there's no more duplicated nic in qnap network menu.

Edited by pmchan
  • Like 1

On 5/28/2020 at 12:00 AM, pmchan said:

Just a quick feedback, I've tried to use an LSI 9211-8i pcie mini SAS to Sata card without success, the hard drives connected to this card are not listed in Qnap OS. I know the DEV_BUS I entered is correct because when I switch with the Syba SI-PEX40064, the HDD reappears in Qnap OS.

from the patch inside the QNAP-BOOT.img file, "TS-X53A_20171117-4.3.3.0378.patch" it looks like the mpt2sas driver would be loaded by default and just the mptsas.ko is added

the lsi 9211-8i would be using mpt2sas.ko

diff -Nauri a/init_check.sh b/init_check.sh
--- a/init_check.sh	2018-01-14 10:41:00.380963000 -0800
+++ b/init_check.sh	2018-01-14 10:55:46.000000000 -0800
@@ -318,7 +342,10 @@

#insmod LSI scsi module
 [ ! -f /lib/modules/misc/raid_class.ko ] || /sbin/insmod /lib/modules/misc/raid_class.ko 2>>/dev/null
+[ ! -f /lib/modules/misc/mptbase.ko ] || /sbin/insmod /lib/modules/misc/mptbase.ko 2>>/dev/null 
+[ ! -f /lib/modules/misc/mptscsih.ko ] || /sbin/insmod /lib/modules/misc/mptscsih.ko 2>>/dev/null 
 [ ! -f /lib/modules/misc/scsi_transport_sas.ko ] || /sbin/insmod /lib/modules/misc/scsi_transport_sas.ko 2>>/dev/null
+[ ! -f /lib/modules/misc/mptsas.ko ] || /sbin/insmod /lib/modules/misc/mptsas.ko 2>>/dev/null 
 [ ! -f /lib/modules/misc/mpt2sas.ko ] || /sbin/insmod /lib/modules/misc/mpt2sas.ko 2>>/dev/null
 [ ! -f /lib/modules/misc/mpt3sas.ko ] || /sbin/insmod /lib/modules/misc/mpt3sas.ko 2>>/dev/null
 #insmod MV scsi moduel

i did not look much into it but beside the id you might need to configure the tape to scsi when using a sas controller? and maybe there is even a SAS type thats not mentioned?

#System disk controller type
#Default is SATA, if your disk on SCSI or IDE plaese change it
CONTROLLER="SATA"

there are also parts like

-if [ -f $UPDATE_FOLDER/sas_fw/sas_fw_update.sh ]; then
-        $UPDATE_FOLDER/sas_fw/sas_fw_update.sh
-fi
-

which remove sas firmware updates, so it looks like there is native sas support in the qnap image

• Thanks 1

Thank you @IG-88 for your limitless driver expertise regarding this Qnap loader. ;)
You're totally right, I should have wrote a more precise feedback as I did see those mpt2sas drivers too and that's why I wanted to try the LSI 9211-8i; I even did change "SATA" to "SCSI" like you pointed me out but with no success. I admit I should have take a closer look at logs while qnap loads for extensives informations but I didn't have a lot of spare time and choose the easy way by switching to an unused pcie x1 SYBA SI-PEX40064. In the meantime, I did order a cheap JMB585 pcie SATA card for better performances, will upgrade when it arrives.
But I'm 99% sure SAS card should work, hope someone will dig in, QNAP OS is interesting!

• Like 1

Abend zusammen,

kann jemand erklären wie genau die Umrechnung der Schnittenstellenangaben funktioniert?

tc@box:~$ sudo lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Device 3e0f (rev 07)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Skylake PCIe Controller (x16) (rev 07)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Device 3e90
00:12.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Device a379 (rev 10)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Device a36d (rev 10)
00:14.2 RAM memory: Intel Corporation Device a36f (rev 10)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Device a360 (rev 10)
00:17.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Device a352 (rev 10)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device a33d (rev f0)
00:1c.6 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device a33e (rev f0)
00:1d.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device a330 (rev f0)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Device a304 (rev 10)
00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Device a348 (rev 10)
00:1f.4 SMBus: Intel Corporation Device a323 (rev 10)
00:1f.5 Serial bus controller [0c80]: Intel Corporation Device a324 (rev 10)
00:1f.6 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (7) I219-V (r                                                                                        ev 10)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I211 Gigabit Network Connection (                                                                                        rev 03)
03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Device 24fb (rev 10)
04:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Micron Technology Inc Device 5410 (rev 0                                                                                        1)

Soweit ich das sehe:

6xSATA = 00:17.0 
NIC1 = 00:1f.6 
NIC2 = 02:00.0 
NVME SSM = 04:00.0 

Meine Model.conf (läuft leider nicht) soll ein TS-653D werden.

[System Enclosure]
VENDOR = QNAP
MODEL = TS-653D
CAP=0x16149b9c
MAX_DISK_NUM = 6
MAX_FAN_NUM = 2
MAX_TEMP_NUM = 2
INTERNAL_NET_PORT_NUM = 2
MAX_PCIE_SLOT = 1
CPU_TEMP_UNIT = DTS:4
SYSTEM_TEMP_UNIT=EC
SIO_DEVICE = IT8528
PWR_RECOVERY_UNIT = EC
BOARD_SN_DEVICE = VPD:BP
ETH_MAC_DEVICE = NET
DISK_DRV_TYPE = ATA
DISK_DEFAULT_MAX_LINK_SPEED = PD_SATA_SAS_6G
SYSTEM_DISK_CACHEABLE_BITMAP = 0x7E
SS_MAX_CHANNELS = 40
SS_FREE_CHANNELS = 4
EUP_STATUS = EC
LCM_BAUDRATE = 115200
[System FAN]
FAN_UNIT = EC
FAN_1=I1
FAN_2=I2
FAN_LEVEL_0 = 0
FAN_LEVEL_1 = 70
FAN_LEVEL_2 = 90
FAN_LEVEL_3 = 110
FAN_LEVEL_4 = 130
FAN_LEVEL_5 = 150
FAN_LEVEL_6 = 200
FAN_LEVEL_7 = 250
HEAT_SOURCE = SYS, CPU, DISK
[System I2C]
DEV_BUS = B00:D31:F1
DEV_PORT = 0
[System EDID 1]
DEV_BUS = B00:D02:F0
DEV_PORT = 0
[System IO]
RESET_BUTTON = EC
USB_COPY_BUTTON = EC
STATUS_GREEN_LED = EC
STATUS_RED_LED = EC
VPD_MB = EC
VPD_BP = EC
FRONT_USB_LED = EC
LED_BV_INTERFACE = EC
LED_BV_CTRL = PWM
EDID_COUNT=1
VOICE_ALERT_SUPPORT = 0
[System Disk 1]
DEV_BUS=B00:D23:F0
PCI_SWITCH_PORT = 7
DEV_PORT = 0
ERR_LED = EC
LOCATE_LED = EC
[System Disk 2]
PCI_SWITCH_PORT = 7
DEV_PORT = 1
ERR_LED = EC
LOCATE_LED = EC
[System Disk 3]
DEV_PORT = 2
ERR_LED = EC
LOCATE_LED = EC
[System Disk 4]
DEV_PORT = 3
ERR_LED = EC
LOCATE_LED = EC
[System Disk 5]
DEV_PORT = 4
PRESENT_LED = EC:1
BLINK_LED = EC:1
ERR_LED = EC
LOCATE_LED = EC
[System Disk 6]
DEV_PORT = 5
PRESENT_LED = EC:2
BLINK_LED = EC:2
ERR_LED = EC
LOCATE_LED = EC
[System Network 1]
DEV_BUS = B00:D20:F1
DEV_PORT = 0
PCI_SWITCH_PORT = 3
[System Network 2]
DEV_BUS = B02:D00:F0
DEV_PORT = 0
PCI_SWITCH_PORT = 3
[System PCIE SLOT 1]
DEV_BUS = B04:D00:F0
[Usb Enclosure]
VENDOR = QNAP
MODEL = USB
MAX_PORT_NUM = 7
EXT_PORT_NUM = 2
USB3_PORT_BITMAP = 0xCA
[Usb Port 1]
DEV_BUS = B00:D21:F0
DEV_PORT = 1
[Usb Port 2]
DEV_PORT = 3
[Usb Port 3]
DEV_PORT = 2
[Usb Port 4]
DEV_PORT = 6
[Usb Port 5]
DEV_PORT = 5
[Usb Port 6]
DEV_BUS = B00:D19:F0
DEV_PORT = 2
[Usb Port 7]
DEV_BUS = B00:D19:F0
DEV_PORT = 1
[MMC Port 1]
DEV_BUS = B00:D27:F0
[Boot Enclosure]
VENDOR = QNAP
MODEL = BOOT
MAX_DISK_NUM = 1
[Boot Disk 1]
DISK_DRV_TYPE = MMC
DEV_BUS = B00:D28:F0
[System Memory]
MAX_CHANNEL_NUM = 2
MAX_SLOT_NUM = 2
SLOT1_ADDR = 1, 0x50
SLOT2_ADDR = 2, 0x52

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, 

can someone please share a working vmware image ?

I have created missing kernel modules and figured what to do in order to have them loaded succesfully (i can provide additional kernal modules if anyone is interested), but i still fail to get the disks identified. I anyone has a VM to test i would be thankfull.

I am afraid noone has a working image. I spend two evenings trying to tame the beast, but failed.

It is completly unclear which model is suited to be used with esxi and furthermor how it needs to be configured.

I used two sata controllers, one for the vm and one for an additional disk. Both disks found and ignored.

Same with a single controller and both disks attached to it.

I even tried to chek the original thread in chinese with google tranlate, but there was valuable input regardings esxi..

@fa2k

Hast Du Zugriff auf das chinesische Forum http://www.nasyun.com/thread-63003-72-1.html ? Leider habe ich nicht verstanden wie ich mich in dem Forum registriere..

Edited by haydibe