XPEnology Community

Hello,

I am looking to build a Xpenology with the adviced DS3617xs image. I would like to use at all time as a NAS as a massively used file server where Moments will be running and casually use VMs (Win10, WinServer & Ubuntu). My specs:

Intel Xeon E5-2630LV3 (8cores 16threads)

Fujitsu 32GB DDR4 ECC 2400mhz

Kllisre X99 LGA2011-3 motherboard from Aliexpress 

2x WD Red 8TBs (Dedicated for the storage)

2x WD Red 6TBs (Dedicated for the storage)

1x Samsung NVME 256GB SSD PM981 (for the cache)

1x 2.5 GBE Network interface

1x 1GBE Network interface

1x APC Back up UPS

My aim is to have the less problem as possible while the best stability, security, and performance as possible.

I am currently looking for the best hardware version loader for my hardware specs and needs while having NVMe cache support. Is it possible?

Please advice me! :)

15 minutes ago, Skalyx said:

Kllisre X99 LGA2011-3 motherboard from Aliexpress 

best stability

i'm not so sure this does look ok together

beeing cheep on such a important part?

if its important then maybe a known server board brand like supermicro would fit the description?

17 minutes ago, Skalyx said:

1x 2.5 GBE Network interface

???

the board seems to have just a 1Gbit nic,

if it would be real the it would be a NBASE-T nic and the description did say 1GBit or is it any additiona nic you are planning?

1 minute ago, IG-88 said:

i'm not so sure this does look ok together

beeing cheep on such a important part?

if its important then maybe a known server board brand like supermicro would fit the description?

???

the board seems to have just a 1Gbit nic,

if it would be real the it would be a NBASE-T nic and the description did say 1GBit or is it any additiona nic you are planning?

I can go up to 110USD including shipping to Switzerland. Sadly, I could not find a Micro ATX X99 Motherboard. 

This is the NIC I bought: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000148568525.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.30e44c4dTsPKtb

the link ended in a "not found" so i cant say anything about if its supported by the additional driver package

if its 2.5GBit only it might imply a realtek 8125, witch is supported

40 minutes ago, Skalyx said:

I could not find a Micro ATX X99 Motherboard. 

the micro atx board i found with this chipset would be

HUNNANZHI X99-8M ~130$

Asrock FATAL1TY X99 M Killer ~400$

not sure why you go with that outdated hardware/cpu

maybe a 8 core ryzen might be a better choice (as 8 core intel wil cost double) ?

you did not say much about your base for choice so its hard to suggest anything else

26 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

the link ended in a "not found" so i cant say anything about if its supported by the additional driver package

if its 2.5GBit only it might imply a realtek 8125, witch is supported

the micro atx board i found with this chipset would be

HUNNANZHI X99-8M ~130$

Asrock FATAL1TY X99 M Killer ~400$

not sure why you go with that outdated hardware/cpu

maybe a 8 core ryzen might be a better choice (as 8 core intel wil cost double) ?

you did not say much about your base for choice so its hard to suggest anything else

Thanks for your messages. You are fully right! It is indeed a Realtek 8125. 

I actually went for a 35 USD used Xeon. 8cores 16threats which is pretty good for this price with a really good TDP of 55 watts. My budget is pretty low but I wanted something reliable with strong performance. 

Actually my question was: Should I go with the DS3617xs hardware version loader according to my hardware or another one? My aim is to get NVMe caching on read-only.

Thank you :)

22 hours ago, Skalyx said:

Actually my question was: Should I go with the DS3617xs hardware version loader according to my hardware or another one? My aim is to get NVMe caching on read-only.

thats a problem as 16 cores (8 real, 8 HT) can only be used with 3617, th other two are limited to 8 cores (kernel compile defaults from synology)

to use nvme you need 918+ (you cpu is haswell so it should work) but you would need to disable HT or you loose performance when HT is used instead of real cores (i dont know how the kernel chooses but it its 4cores/4ht it would be significant)

i'd suggest going with two normal sata ssd's and use write caching (only with two drives allowed)

afaik ssd cache is only strong in multi user environment, m most home use cases its not that much of a performance boost as it only serves you data you already have in ssd cache faster, also to make good use of ssd/nvme you will need more then 2.5G (still much better then one), 10G for nvme and 5G for sata ssd or you will loose significant on performance

edit: the only way to use nvme with 3617 might be esxi and then doing a rdm to the xpenology vm, but that way you would do all other VM's with esxi and xpenology would be degraded to be just a storgae system, also wehe using esxi it might be possible to just user 4 cores for xpenologgy and map the pcie nvme device into a 918+ vm?

22 hours ago, Skalyx said:

I actually went for a 35 USD used Xeon. 8cores 16threats which is pretty good for this price with a really good TDP of 55 watts.

yes that sounds tempting

Edited by IG-88

2 hours ago, IG-88 said:

thats a problem as 16 cores (8 real, 8 HT) can only be used with 3617, th other two are limited to 8 cores (kernel compile defaults from synology)

to use nvme you need 918+ (you cpu is haswell so it should work) but you would need to disable HT or you loose performance when HT is used instead of real cores (i dont know how the kernel chooses but it its 4cores/4ht it would be significant)

i'd suggest going with two normal sata ssd's and use write caching (only with two drives allowed)

Thank you so much for your advice. I will follow it and go with the 3617 to have 16 threats. Then, I will use SATA SSD. Only one will be used for read-only caching. As a heavy Moments user, I believe it will help. My DS916+ is too slow!

I am a little bit worried for the reliability of my hardware, especially as I will replace a DS916+. 

Thanks for the ESXI suggestion, but I do not think NVMe will change a lot as a home user. So, I will use SATA SSD. It should already be great!