XPEnology Community

How about Gigabyte GA-N3160N-D3V?

Jopa

Hi all,

I'm new here, but read thru lots of threads before - finding lots of interersting things, but nothing about the board named above, that I could understand. There are only some russian posts about it :|

So I open this thread.

The SoC N3160 (Celeron) is very alike the N3710 (Pentium) of the Synology 916+ - cpu-world.com only lists differences in GPU, which are neglectable here - but I guess, the LAN and extra SATA chips (two Realtek RTL8111 and one ASmedia ASM1061) will be a difference to the orignigal 916 setup.

My question now, as I want to get the latest Linux kernel possible: Which is the loader best fitting for this board? And please don't think of me as an absolute beginner.

Best regards,

the Jopa

No luck with 918+ yet. Loader is ok, but DSM lets the DiskStation disappear from LAN. Even IG-88's latest drivers do not help.

I'll try out more next evening.

Best regards

Edited by Jopa

Well, I probably tried to fly too high...

After deleting everything - Xpenology-stick as well as disks - and starting with new synoboot-DS918 image again, I found out, that my Gigabyte motherboard simply not seems to be compatible with DSM 6.2.2, regardless of the extra drivers available. DSM 6.2.1 is maximum level working, and without any patches.

Btw it looks, that grub enumerates the two ethernet ports of this (?) board in other order as BIOS - the mac1 and -2 settings in grub.cfg just swap the BIOS's mac adresses, and so the IP-adresses from DHCP.

6 hours ago, Jopa said:

Btw it looks, that grub enumerates the two ethernet ports of this (?) board in other order as BIOS - the mac1 and -2 settings in grub.cfg just swap the BIOS's mac adresses, and so the IP-adresses from DHCP.

I am really get what you mean. Do you mean that you are not receiving the expected IP per NIC MAC?

The most simple way is let the NIC working in DHCP mode, and you can assign the expected IP in your router.

7 hours ago, Jopa said:

I found out, that my Gigabyte motherboard simply not seems to be compatible with DSM 6.2.2, regardless of the extra drivers available. DSM 6.2.1 is maximum level working, and without any patches.

did you try the recovery type extra/extra2? i did at least have one tester with a N3150 (also braswell as N3160) and it did work for him

@vanst: There are two ethernet ports, with two stickers on them telling the MAC addresses, which I added to grub.cfg as mac1 and mac2.  When I run a live system, the DHCP isues an IP upon the MAC address given by the sticker of the port, where the cable is plugged in. With xpenology, the DHCP gets requested with the MAC address of the other (unplugged) port and so issues another IP, of course. This is nothing, I'm really worried about, just kind of funny.

@IG-88: No, I did not yet, and will not do before the 14th april.

Happy easter in advance :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again,

same as last time: DSM 6.2.2_24922 for DS-918+ just will not work with my board. Regardless of the extra/extra2 type. As soon as I copy the original zImage and rd.gz files to the boot stick, the NICs are gone and DS does not appear on network no more.

Btw: NICs are RTL8168 and not 8111 as I wrote first.

Regards

15 hours ago, Jopa said:

As soon as I copy the original zImage and rd.gz files to the boot stick, the NICs are gone and DS does not appear on network no more.

you could read your usb with "Win32DiskImager 1.0" (activate "read olny active partitions" in the gui) upload it somewhere and pm me the link, i could have a look if i see anything

15 hours ago, Jopa said:

Btw: NICs are RTL8168 and not 8111 as I wrote first.

its all the same driver, even 8118 is the same

Got the board running DSM 6.2.2 now. With zImage and rd.gz from original DSM_DS918+_24922.pat and extra.lzma from here:

Thank you, real3x 👍

@IG-88: Still interested in usb image? I also can give you report of hwinfo (after booting HBCD PE).

Best regards

1 hour ago, Jopa said:

@IG-88: Still interested in usb image? I also can give you report of hwinfo (after booting HBCD PE).

in theory the "syno" type nearly does what real3x did in this extra.lzma, it removes jun's i915 drivers, the difference is that i add additional i915 firmware that is supported by the i915 driver synology uses (enabling hardware trancsoding support for other cpu's like normal desktop cpu's like haswell and above up to kaby lake)

maybe thats interfering here but with the "recovery" type all this firmware and drivers is overwriten with 0 byte long files making them invalid and you cant load them - that should have worked for you - so the question is did you use/test the recovery tape extra/extra2, if so there must be a flaw in my recovery type extra/extra2 as its supposed to work for all systems that dont want or can use hardware transcoding but have cpu that is capable of running 918+,kind of a safe fall back

if you still have the usb you used for testing i'd like to have a look to see whats really on it

Well, DS is busy at the moment, but I'll do new test with recovery type drivers for you.

Btw the Braswell N3160 (mobile version of J3160) on my board and the Apollo Lake J3455 on real3x's board are later than kaby lake.

6 hours ago, IG-88 said:

you could read your usb with "Win32DiskImager 1.0" (activate "read olny active partitions" in the gui)

Sorry, but my Win 8.1 does not get usb stick as a drive, and so WinDiskImager cannot read from it. Which other tool should I use, so that you can read the image?

13 minutes ago, Jopa said:

Sorry, but my Win 8.1 does not get usb stick as a drive, and so WinDiskImager cannot read from it. Which other tool should I use, so that you can read the image?

ahh yes, shortly win10 started to behave like this too and i haven't  tried reading since then

i guess there a a lot of tools that can create a image file 1st i have at hand atm is dmde (the free edition should be ok)

https://dmde.com

on start it will ask for physical devices, select the usb flsh drive, it should open in a view where you see partitions and wich the right mouse button select 1st /15.7MB) / 2nd (31.5MB) and select "create image/clone", in lower half define destination as file and save it as suggested, do it for 1st and 2nd partition and put them in a zip file

(the bin/image files can be used with lot's of tool, even 7zip can open them - just if you want to have a look, osfmount should work too)

Nice tool. Think I'll use it some more in future...

For the folks listening: Don't know why, but after I tested thru all extras on a SSD (for speed) again, and amazingly most worked, my original 3-HDD-RAID5-setup runs even with syno and recovery extras form IG-88 now, which failed on my trials before.