XPEnology Community

Add a .ko driver

maxbekh

Question

Hi!
Like many other people using xpenology, my rtl8111 does not work properly on dsm 6 using all june’s loader.
But my NIC works great on debian by example so I make some research and i find something.
With default debian driver r8169 all works great but with the driver that all other people use r8168 the upload doesn’t work like with june’s loader. I believe that it use r8168 driver.
I would like to add r8169 driver ans I search how to add .ko driver on june’s loader but it is a little bit to complicated. Did someone know how to do it or can do it for me but for all the rtl8111 community (which is a lot of people from what i see)
If someone want to guide me on how to do it i have time 
Thanks 
Hope that it will help other people

6 answers to this question

On 4/1/2020 at 3:00 AM, maxbekh said:

does not work properly on dsm 6 using all june’s loader.

what version of the loader?

what does work not properly mean? low performance od does not work at all  (when booting 1st time or after installing)?

what version does you test debdian use? look with modinfo

So my nic works perfectly on debian 10 buster with r8169 driver but when I install r8168 driver I have the same problem that I have with all dsm 6. I have tested all dsm ( from 6.0 to 6.2.2 with the good loader).

Also with extra lzma. I saw that extra lzma includ both r8168 ans r8169 but it seems that it boot with r8168 which meen good download (800-900mbps ) but bad upload (5-6mbps) 

How can i delete the r8168 driver on extra.lzma to use only r8169 

Thank you for the support 

PS i bought a TP Link TG 3468 i receive it monday 13, will it work?

I see that it will be complicated to make the lzma archives after decompressed it so I'm just asking you if you would like to just make an extra.lzma without r8168 driver (just delete the driver then compile the lzma) and I will test it.

Thank you

you can unpack and repack the extra.lzma like here

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7187-how-to-build-and-inject-missing-drivers-in-jun-loader-102a/

ignore the part about chroot, just install the tools with apt-get in a normal linux system and continue with "2. modify the "synoboot.img""

you could delete the r8168.ko and repack it and copy the new extra.lzma to you loader, replacinf the "old" one

in addition you would need to delete the r8168.ko in your installed dsm system in /usr/lib/modules/update

if that does not work and you loose access to you system (like r8169.ko is not working) then you can replace your new extra.lzma with the "old" one and reboot the system, the r8168.ko should be copied to your system again and be used