XPEnology Community

DSM Migration to lesser disks, more capacity

mattyjasper

Question

Hi all,

I currently have a working Xpenology unit that I have had for a while now running DSM 6.1.7 using Jun's 1.02b loader (DS3615xs) and the following hardware;

Intel Core i3-4130

8GB RAM

H81M Motherboard (can't remember the exact one now) with an additional SATA card

5x 2TB Hard Drives

My issue is that I am running out of space. I have managed to acquire 4x 6TB drives that I want to move my data onto (this should give me ~18TB of space compared to current ~8TB). But I am aware that you cannot downsize a RAID array in DSM (from 5 disks down to 4). Over the years I have configured the NAS exactly how I want it and I have many apps, Docker containers etc configured working well. I don't really want to lose any of this config!

What is going to be the best way to deal with this? I've seen that Synology now have a migration tool (Migration Assistant) that is only available on DSM 6.2, but will that do a 100% mirror of my current setup to the new? I can easily set up the hardware on a workbench with another motherboard, CPU, RAM etc to do this. 

Any assistance welcomed! :)

Thanks,

Matt

5 answers to this question

As an FYI to anyone else who needs to do this in the future. I have just done the following steps and used the Synology Migration Assistant which has migrated ALL of my packages (Synology official and 3rd party) and ALL of my settings for said packages, system config, Docker containers etc etc. The whole lot basically! The only thing I've had to do is set DNS name and IP address! Synology Migration Assistant gets a massive 10/10 from me! :D

1. Create new DSM 6.2.2 installation on new hardware using Jun's latest loaders.

2. Boot into DSM and verify basic functionality (all drives detected etc).

3. Create Storage Pool in Storage Manager as required.

4. Download and install Synology Migration Assistant in Package Manager.

5. Follow the Migration Assistant wizard

6. Wait for data/settings to transfer and have a good day! :)

On 3/30/2020 at 8:52 PM, mattyjasper said:

What is going to be the best way to deal with this?

if you have shr  then you can exchange four 2TB disks one after another (rebuild might take one day per disk) and after you are done you would have 20TB shr in 5 disks, four 6TB, one 2TB, as the 2TB disks are older you can keep two as spare in case the one 2TB disks in your shr fails

better way would be the migration tool and transferring to a new or interim hardware, might take longer (1GBit nic?)  but you get rid of the 5th drive, i never used Migration Assistant but i guess its exactly for this kind of operation