XPEnology Community

Need hlep on port mapping

sarieri

Hi guys,

I'm kind of confused about how sata ports are mapped in xpenology. So I installed dsm6.22 24922(918+) with jun's loader v1.04b modded with extra.lzma on my ESXI host. The weird thing is that one of my five(four 4T and one 8T) drives is missing if selecting baremetal option(first option) when the loader boot up. I did some research on how to modify the synoinfo.conf file under /etc.defaults and got no luck. The default parameters in that file was: internalportcfg="0xffff", esataportcfg="0x0", usbportcfg="0x30000", and maxdisks="16". The four drives that are recognized were from slot 17 to slot 20. I have no idea why they were there even though the maxdisks should sixteen.

My motherboard is a ASUS p9d mh/sas 10g-dual, which has 6 sata ports and 8 sas port under lsi2308 controller. My esxi host is installed on a ssd drive which is connected to the sata port labeled orange under the photo below, and all fives drives are connected to sas port labeled red. I passthrough the lsi2308 controller to the Xpenology.

InkedMR0FDE`UC(F}4VNN2(ELE39_LI.jpg

If I select the third option when the loader boot up, all five drives show up. However, it randomly crashed in 2 or 3 days,  if I put all five drives under SHR raid. It was always the 8t drive that crashed but I the complete S.M.A.R.T status was fine. I checked with WD's Data Lifeguard Diagnostic app as well, and it had no problem at all. My powersupply, sata cable were switched as well, problem still insisted. I also tried to change the port the drive connected to, but still no luck. The drive was a HGST HUS728T8TALE6L4 and it is in the compatibility list of DS918+.

Im not clear if you are running ESXi for 'other' VMs than an XPE NAS, if not then why not try XPE as the O/S and see what happens.

Other things I'd try would be to disable the non-LSI SATAs and move the ESXi SSD boot drive to channel 1 of the LSI array and boot from that if possible. or maybe put your ESXi on a USB or DOM and boot from that, again disabling the non-LSI sata. Both these options mean no need to alter the synoinfo conf

I'd also disable all hardware you dont need like the serial ports.

How are you setting up your data store(s), single drives or attempting to create an SHR by presenting the passthrough drives to XPE/DSM?

Have you done a physical mapping of ports on the board vs the drives/channels connected, checking how they are seen by DSM in Storage Manager. That can help diagnostics

7 hours ago, sbv3000 said:

Im not clear if you are running ESXi for 'other' VMs than an XPE NAS, if not then why not try XPE as the O/S and see what happens.

Other things I'd try would be to disable the non-LSI SATAs and move the ESXi SSD boot drive to channel 1 of the LSI array and boot from that if possible. or maybe put your ESXi on a USB or DOM and boot from that, again disabling the non-LSI sata. Both these options mean no need to alter the synoinfo conf

I'd also disable all hardware you dont need like the serial ports.

How are you setting up your data store(s), single drives or attempting to create an SHR by presenting the passthrough drives to XPE/DSM?

Have you done a physical mapping of ports on the board vs the drives/channels connected, checking how they are seen by DSM in Storage Manager. That can help diagnostics

I'm running XPE NAS in ESXI. I can't run XPE as the O/S since I have a nvidia graphic card to run in another VM(ubuntu) to transcode for emby in ESXI and Xpenology does not have a driver for that.

I will definitely try to put my ESXI on a USB to boot and disable other sata ports.

As for the data store set up, It doesn't seem to matter. I set up a SHR before with all four 4T drives and the 8T drive, and it crashed. I also set up a basic volume with the 8T drive only, and it crashed just this morning. SATA ports and SATA cables were switched so those should not be a problem. The powersupply is a 500w one, seems to have enough power. Also, if it's the problem of the powersupply, drives should crash randomly, but in my case, it was always the 8T one. Right now I can only suspect that if it is the case that Lsi 2308 has some compatibility issue with HGST drives.

Sounds like you may be right on the compatibility, there could be a firmware update worth a check, plus also see if it is stable on one of the non-lsi ports. Regarding the PSU, I'd also think it beefy enough, but you could try turning off hibernation, it might be that on spinup if there is a 'blip' between controller and disk it could cause a crash

2 hours ago, sbv3000 said:

but you could try turning off hibernation, it might be that on spinup if there is a 'blip' between controller and disk it could cause a crash

That is what I think the problem is. The hibernation option was turned on everytime the drive crashed. Also, I have been use BTRFS, and I heard that ext4 might be more stable.

2 hours ago, sbv3000 said:

Sounds like you may be right on the compatibility, there could be a firmware update worth a check, plus also see if it is stable on one of the non-lsi ports. Regarding the PSU, I'd also think it beefy enough, but you could try turning off hibernation, it might be that on spinup if there is a 'blip' between controller and disk it could cause a crash

The drive that crashed was an HGST 8T entreprise drive, and the four that were okay was the seagate ironwolf 4T. I guess there might be a difference between hibernation mechanism between these drives.