XPEnology Community

LSI 9205-8I not recognized on ASRock J4105M

bsman

I am in the process of moving my working xpenology system from a motherboard that is about to fail ( ASUS P6T Deluxe, won't boot, but once it does its works fine).  I have everything backed up.  I got the new ASRock J4105M installed, it posts fine... everything works, except when I move the working (in the old system) LSI 9205-8I into the new system.  I have it in the PCI-Express 2.0 x16 Slot.  The system just doesn't see the card, it boots, I hear the drives spin up,  I see the lights on the card but I don't see the boot screen for the card and none of the drives show up in the motherboard bios.  Anybody have any ideas?  Do I need a different/newer SAS/SATA card(s, I have 8 drives 4x4tb and 4x8tb)?

whats with your usb? did you take it from the old system to the new

what loader and dsm version? loader 1.03b for 3615/17 does nor support uefi, you would need to activate CSM mode and choose the non uefi usb boot device

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

Those motherboards with integrated Gemini Lake CPU can't boot legacy bios and don't have CSM mode, that's a shame and the reason why those cool Asrock pieces of hardware are not a good choice anymore for xpenology if your goal is to install more than 4 drives with a cheap used crossflashed LSI , I learned it the hard way and had to return mine.
Asrock replied "Gemini Lake platform natively support for UEFI mode only" to someone asking for legacy bioses on their forum.

2 hours ago, pmchan said:

Those motherboards with integrated Gemini Lake CPU can't boot legacy bios and don't have CSM mode, that's a shame and the reason why those cool Asrock pieces of hardware are not a good choice anymore for xpenology if your goal is to install more than 4 drives with a cheap used crossflashed LSI , I learned it the hard way and had to return mine.
Asrock replied "Gemini Lake platform natively support for UEFI mode only" to someone asking for legacy bioses on their forum.

if you can't use CSM and have a "newer" cpu (like gemini lake) you still can cross upgrade to 918+, the lsi controller should be working there too and as long as you dont need the raidf1 for for ssd only systems there is no loss

loader 1.04b and 918+ works with uefi

• Like 1

Sorry for the delay in my reply... I was using a usb with a fresh install of 1.04b for 918+, I also made the required changes in the cfg file.  No matter what I did the LSI 9205-8I (and drives) would not show up either in the boot sequence, the bios, or after I booted into xpenoloy/dsm.  The LSI card just would not work with the motherboard.  I assume it has to do with UEFI or maybe the card being a pcie 3.0 slot and the board only having pice 2.0.  I ended up buying a Synology 1819+ through Amazon (Got here today!).  After pricing out new hardware and taking into account time constraints of needing access to the data, and I still having an actual 918+ to sell on ebay, it made sense for my needs (8 drives and 10gbe).  Thanks for the responses.

• 2 weeks later...

you should first check your 9205 card fw, I guess you flash it to SAS2308 IT mode FW. Than it will through HDD to OS, you don't need config bootrom or anything else.

For DSM software, i think only 3617 bootloader have LSI driver, so you should try it first see if the DSM could find HDD.  may be later use 918 and external driver patch.

I use ESXI version DSM , LSI 9300 card , DS3617 bootload and system could find the attach HDD.