XPEnology Community

DANGER : Raid crashed. Help me restore my data!

2 minutes ago, supermounter said:

Like said Flyride, your data are still there, but here it's your DSM files systems that are now messy, then start from another DSM fresh will maybe give you more opportunity to get back your data.

happy Easter to you

Supermounter, what I could do also is to create a VM and put DSM on it and then attach the real disks to it no? 

However, I will wait for Flyride!

1 hour ago, jbesclapez said:

what I could do also is to create a VM and put DSM on it and then attach the real disks to it no? 

keep in mind whats important and thats your 3 disks wit your raid/lvm volume containing your data, don't mess around with them without having backups of this disks (not important if its a fresh or virtual dsm, it can mess up your data)

you can do a backup of these disk with dd to image files (that 8TB disk as destination), that way you would be able to restore the 2TB disks if things go wrong or you could leave the "original" disks as they are and continue with the image files and data recovery software

at least you would have a backup, atm you still at risk loosing it all

you would need a 2nd 8TB disk as destination for recovered files but at least you would always be in the position to still have one copy even if a disk fails and you do something wrong

5 hours ago, jbesclapez said:

I did some reading like you recommended and I also contacted a FORENSIC to ask for a quote with all the details you gave me.

Then I did more reading to see what i could do. Now I need your opinion, as once again, I might misundertand things :-)

I was thinking of doing a RAW copy of the drives and then some analysis. I will have to buy a new drive - but anyway I was thinking of upgrading my NAS as it is pretty old, so the drive is not a waste. 

Before diving into this, I would like to know if you still would be OK to assist me as you did before? I will surely need your help in that, and I was wondering if you would be OK to continue this adventure with me :-). I would prefer having your help than the one of a Forensic! At least, I am learning a side of IT I did not know before... It is also kind of fun, i have to admit, even it plays with my nerves.

A good news is that I realised yesterday I had a drive with the backup of 99% of my personnal videos (kids, family). What is left on the NAS, I would still like to recover it...

There is a big difference between directing someone on a technical recovery, and offering opinion on a course of action.  I have done a lot of mdadm array recoveries in my past work life, a fair number of my own, and those you see online.  DSM cannot repair but the most simple array failures, which leaves folks otherwise in the cold, while I am pretty confident that if there is a reasonable way to recover mdadm, I can help find it.

I don't know anything about working with a forensic recovery service, and I have no direct knowledge of how to run recovery tools.  So while I am happy to offer my opinion if you describe a situation and a decision point, I can't offer step-by-step, detailed direction on how to proceed. In short, I can't continue to be a guru. I post online here because I want to provide good examples on how to recover broken arrays so that XPenology users can help each other and resolve their own problems. I think it would be worth documenting your upcoming experience here for the same reason, and I am willing to participate in and facilitate that.

I agree that if you want to attempt filesystem repairs, making a full copy of your array to another (larger) drive is a good move before proceeding.  You will need to decide if you want to work on the original or the copy (I advise the copy). Be careful when doing this operation as it is operating directly on storage devices with no safeguards and it's not impossible to accidentally damage your original or some other storage device (like the root filesystem).

Edited by flyride
  • Like 1

IG-88 and Flyride, I totally agree with both of you guys!

First I will clone my drive - I just got myself a 10Tb drive and a USB 3.1 docking sata station. That should do the job right :-) in terms of hardware.

I will do some research in the coming days on how to clone my array onto DSK or IMG files. I will then compress those and put them on the 8Tb drive.

I will use the 10Tb to do my research/tests.

Once again, remember I realised this morning that my most precious data is saved. I am not trying to recover the rest, but if it fails I will be kind of fine - mainly frustrated ;-)

I really like your idea Flyride to document nicely this task. It is not the first time I do this on a forum and from experience, I know that people love it. On another forum I got around 31k views on my documentations! I will do this guide.  Do you think it would be possible to write a kind of algorithm/path with functions and expectations...? That would make many people lifes easier and I think it is possible otherwise softwares that does that would not exist!

Thanks

On 4/13/2020 at 6:03 PM, flyride said:

There is a big difference ...

Flyride, I just got myself a 10Tb drive delivered. I am now using Clonezilla to make a raw image of the drives... I think it might take 1 to 2 days. I will keep you posted on this! I cant wait for the week end ;-)

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/12/2020 at 10:43 PM, flyride said:

2. Attempt to recover the filesystem using e2fsck or variant

• At its core, fsck is an irreversible process, which might invalidate a subsequent choice to send the drives for forensic recovery
  • If I were to do this, I would first clone /dev/lv to another device as a backup.  Unfortunately you don't possess a device large enough to do this (8.17TB > 7.27TB)

Hello Flyride,

It took me some time to do the DD Raw back up of the drives. I had to redo it 2 times!! I also did a back up of the raw image. 
I also installed a VM machine with Ubuntu on it and I created a shared folder that can access the DD image from Ubuntu. 

Now I think I am ready to do the e2fsck you mentioned. 

I was also thinking that, we totally never worked with the 4th drive. We never touched it... maybe we should try something with it?

Can you guide me on the e2fsck command like you did before?

Thanks