XPEnology Community

Any problem / benefit staying on 6.1.7 (unable to get it working on 6.2.2)

zzgus

As the title say, and with the impossibility to get 6.2.2 working, is there any problem of staying in 6.1.7 ?

As I don't really know how synology dsm / updates work, do ALL synology models are able of update to recent dsm's like 6.2.2 or are models that like Apple / Windows computer's (depending of computer hardware) will only be able to update to certain dsm's versions?

Thankyou

Gus

3 hours ago, flyride said:

Thankyou @flyride for your support.

A little more clear now, but, if "6.2.x releases are simply security/bugfixes at this point," then it would be interesting to stay on this 6.2.2 or is 6.1.7 also "patched" for those security/bugfixes?

Thankyou

Gus

6.2 has received a few patches for security fixes when 6.1 has not.  However, Synology lags so badly with critical updates versus a normal Linux distro, I personally won't rely on 6.2.2's security state.  My recommendation is that you should assume it's hackable and never expose your NAS to the Internet.  VPN or 2-factor encrypted proxy service are really the only options to safely access it remotely.  If you subscribe to that opinion, the difference between 6.1 and 6.2's security state is really irrelevant.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, flyride said:

My recommendation is that you should assume it's hackable and never expose your NAS to the Internet. 

But that's impossible, because simply the fact that it's connected to your home network means it's connected to "internet" and accessible by any security issue. Or do you mean to don't open ports to access the NAS?
I ussually connect home trough a VPN.

Thankyou
Gus

@zzgus As long as you don't "expose" it to internet, by manually open ports, or trusting UPpN on your router, there should not be a direct way "in".

That beeing said, your connected computer, with the current user rights, have access to your NAS and your files... 

Stay safe, and use normal common sense, do not click on "funky" stuff ;-) ransomware might encrypt the files on your fileshares...