XPEnology Community

Which DSM platform for hw transcoding on Proxmox

ruffpl

Which one will be better for hw transcoding on Proxmox running with xeon e5v3 (2,4 - 3,2 ghz turbo)? For now I was testing DS3617 platform that can support 16 cpu threads. Another thing is that I need around 8 or even more sata ports. Will it be better if I use DS918 with newer kernel? From the table I read it support ssd cache but does it support at least 8 hdds and does 8 cpu threads will be enough for transcoding?

Synology HW transcoding relies on Intel integrated gpu and your cpu doesn't have any, plus I'm not absolutely sure about that but from my understanding, HW transcoding can't be achieved with virtualized xpenology installation. So, you'll get software transcoding, whichever loader you chose and I suppose it will be OK as long as you don't try to transcode high bitrate 4K videos.

Edited by pmchan

1 hour ago, ruffpl said:

How many disks does DS918 support? Also is it possible to add more than 8 cpu threats in it?

DS918 and DS3615 - 8 threads (4 cores + 4 hyperthreads, or 8 cores if you turn off HT in the BIOS)

DS3617 - 16 threads (8 cores + 8 hyperthreads, or 16 cores if you turn off HT in the BIOS).  But most finicky with regard to hardware compatibility.

You can add as many threads as you want to the VM but DSM won't use more than stated; it's a kernel compile limitation.

One more question. Can I " jump" from one platform to another if storage pool with data is already created? F.ex if I create Vm, pass-through all drives, put my data on it, but after some time I would like to try different Ds. Can new VM (with passed-through same list of disks) not going to format the pool?

Ps. Will ssd cache work if I pass-through (some cheap) 2x ssd by sata or it have to be some nvme by pci adapter?

Edited by ruffpl

15 hours ago, ruffpl said:

One more question. Can I " jump" from one platform to another if storage pool with data is already created? F.ex if I create Vm, pass-through all drives, put my data on it, but after some time I would like to try different Ds. Can new VM (with passed-through same list of disks) not going to format the pool?

Yes, if you do a DSM migration install with the new VM.

15 hours ago, ruffpl said:

Ps. Will ssd cache work if I pass-through (some cheap) 2x ssd by sata or it have to be some nvme by pci adapter?

Yes.  They have to be seen as SSD by the DSM instance.  Don't use cheap SSD for write cache or you risk your data.  Better yet, don't use write cache at all.

• 1 month later...