XPEnology Community

Lenovo M92P

LSUStephen

I got my hands on a used Lenovo M92P with an i7-3770. The on-board LAN is an Intel 82579. I've tried using the 3 different Jun’s Loaders DSM 6.2 versions, but I am unable to find the box using the find.synology.com or the Synology Assistant. I've also used an IPscanner, but no luck. Can someone point me to a step by step guide to get the network driver installed into the bootloader image? Thanks.

That got me to where I needed to get. Next question, can I run off of just a USB drive, or do I have to have one connected internally? I purchased a Seagate Expansion drive that I was hoping to leave in the enclosure until the warranty is up. If not, then I can connect an internal drive. 

• 1 month later...

@LSUStephen I "rediscovered" a M92p Tiny (the USFF model) I had laying around, and would like to try it out as a "Mini-NAS".

I ran into the same problem as you did, starting with 1.04b 918+, then 1.02b 916+, before trying the "failsafe" 1.02b 3615.

But, just like you I'm not able to connect to my LAN, so no IP from my DHCP server.

Now:

How was your final way to get it going? 

(my current setup has been using legacy boot while testing)

btw: to answer your question, you need an internal drive to install DSM and run it, and your USB will just stay as a boot-media, but I guess you already found out.

On 5/1/2020 at 5:17 PM, bearcat said:

starting with 1.04b 918+, then 1.02b 916+

thats definitely not going to work as its "only" a 3rd gen processor (i7-3770)

3615/17 1.03b need CSM mode with UEFI bios and the legacy usb boot device, using loader 1.02b (3615/17) is not that picky and will work with both so its a good choice for at least testing and as there is also a mbr version (i used it for some hp desktops) its not to complex to test, just two versions 1.02b normal and 1.02b mbr

to make sure the intel nic is supported i'd suggest using my extra.lzma v4.8

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/9508-driver-extension-jun-102bdsm61x-for-3615xs-3617xs-916/

Edited by IG-88
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, bearcat said:

@LSUStephen I "rediscovered" a M92p Tiny (the USFF model) I had laying around, and would like to try it out as a "Mini-NAS".

I ran into the same problem as you did, starting with 1.04b 918+, then 1.02b 916+, before trying the "failsafe" 1.02b 3615.

But, just like you I'm not able to connect to my LAN, so no IP from my DHCP server.

Now:

How was your final way to get it going? 

(my current setup has been using legacy boot while testing)

btw: to answer your question, you need an internal drive to install DSM and run it, and your USB will just stay as a boot-media, but I guess you already found out.

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/14122-trouble-with-install-on-hp-compaq-8300-sff/?do=findComment&comment=111976

Follow that post. I used DS3615xs DSM 6.2-23739.pat &  DS3615xs 6.1 Jun's Mod V1.02b.img 

• Like 1

@IG-88 Actually, in the Tiny (USFF) I have, the CPU is a i5-3470T, but yes, it's still from a "wrong" generation.

I did it just to make sure. On my Asrock Q-1900, I was not supposed to get the 918+ running, but it did. This time, the info was correct ;-)

Not sure what I did wrong yesterday, when none of the images I tried was working for me, but just for "fun" I had to reboot my router today, 

and then the last made USB, Juns 1.02b DS3615xs was getting an IP from the DHCP, and I could open the web-based install page.

So I made another bootstick, 1.03b DS3615xs, and same positive progress, it showed up in the Syno assistent and I could open the webpage.

I will need to find a free 2,5" disk to do a full install and play around some more.

The NIC in use, is the Intel 82579LM, device id 1502, using the native e1000e driver.

And just to doublecheck, I redid a 1.04b 918+ USB, with the same no-working network.

btw: the actual booting "seems to" work , as I get to the normal "Screen will stop updating shortly.."

but since I have no serial port, I guess it will throw a bunch of errors behind my back....

Just as a "mental note" to myself later on:

BIOS: disable secure boot, CSM enabled, enable boot from legacy USB as primary boot device.

No added "extras" just the plain bootimages, adjusted for vid/pid.

@LSUStephen As you might get from my rambling above, I did not need to make any hybrid stick, or other "magic" to get it working (today) :-)