XPEnology Community

What will happen with storage if virtual xpenology system fails

ruffpl

I have a question. Let say that I dont want to have baremetal xpenology because I also need some virtual systems to use next to it. I create f.ex 20Gb virtual disk for system and want to have big btrfs shr storage pool ( so probably I need to passthrough every disk for it.)  What will happen with data on btrfs storage if f.ex virtual machine will fail I will not have any backup of system and I will have to install it from begining. Is data safe on these disks, is new system going to mount it somehow or system will have to format disks and create everything from begining? 

Edited by ruffpl

So if I use host system ( ESXI, PROXMOX,etc) and passthrough all my needed sata disks to virtual machine (Xpenology) they will work like normal disks connected directly to it, independent from the host? Then if I create btrfs pool from those disks by DSM I will have whole control of them by xpenology/ not by host system (so we can say that it will be entirely separated NAS machine located on my server)? So whole data on it will be stored on normal btrfs partition / not any kind of huge virtual disk or something simmilar?

I am asking because I am thinking about moving my whole data pool directly to Xpenology because I want to have control of snapshots, indexing etc that I can not deal with right now when the pool is connected by NFS share into DSM .

Ps. Will the system (DSM) that will be stored on virtual sata (on host ) is also going to have some copy on btrfs pool? (I had it like that on my old DSM5 that every disk was splitted on partitions and had a copy of DSM system)

Edited by ruffpl

45 minutes ago, ruffpl said:

So if I use host system ( ESXI, PROXMOX,etc) and passthrough all my needed sata disks to virtual machine (Xpenology) they will work like normal disks connected directly to it, independent from the host?

Yes, that's what passthrough is, independent from the virtual host. But at least with ESXi, you can't passthrough a disk, only a controller, in which case the attached disks will come along with it.  Alternatively, RDM on ESXi provides the driver and connectivity and provides a raw translated interface to the VM, but without managing the disk in any way.  So technically not a passthrough but works the same as far as what DSM sees.

Then if I create btrfs pool from those disks by DSM I will have whole control of them by xpenology/ not by host system (so we can say that it will be entirely separated NAS machine located on my server)? So whole data on it will be stored on normal btrfs partition / not any kind of huge virtual disk or something similar?

This is the same question and answer as above, just restated.

I am asking because I am thinking about moving my whole data pool directly to Xpenology because I want to have control of snapshots, indexing etc that I can not deal with right now when the pool is connected by NFS share into DSM

If you don't use DSM to control your disk devices, then you may as well just run a generic Linux instance and NFS mount remote storage to that.  DSM offers you no advantage if it cannot control the disks.

Will the system (DSM) that will be stored on virtual sata (on host ) is also going to have some copy on btrfs pool? (I had it like that on my old DSM5 that every disk was splitted on partitions and had a copy of DSM system)

The virtual disk on the host which is your bootloader image does not have DSM on it.  As is the case with DSM5, DSM6 stores a copy of the OS and swap partitions on every disk that is allocated to it. Those partitions are ext4, not btrfs.

Thanks. I will read a little more about it and I will think over that idea. Right now I have a zfs pool created by Proxmox that suppost to be run all by Xpenology. Problem is that by NFS i can only use file station, download station and DSM have no extra access to this pool like to its own disks. I would like to have half of my server working just lije baremetal Xpenology NAS and other half use for my other Virtual machines, etc. If it is going to work I think I will start to copy my data again on old drives.

Edited by ruffpl