XPEnology Community

S1200V3RPL + LSI 9260-8i

zomikron

Hi Guys,
sorry for the bad english, i'm german and work with a translator :-)

I am currently trying to install my first bare metal-based xpenology. The hardware looks like this:

Mainboard: S1200V3RPL
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1220 V3
RAM: 2x 8GB ECC Crucial RAM
RAID controller: LSI 9260-8i

I have already read in the forum that the 9260-8i unfortunately does not support IT mode, i.e. it cannot work as a pure HBA. Have read the tip you should then create each plate in the LSI as a single VD. I did - he seems to recognize it too.
To begin with, 2 SSDs on the onboard SATA controller of the board (later 4) and 4x2TB HDDs on the LSI (later then 8x2TB) should be used.

According to the instructions, I pulled a USB stick (8GB), read the PID / VID, read the MAC address of one of the network cards, generated a serial number (Xpenology Serial Number Generator) for the model DS3615xs (later 12 drives are supposed to be become).

The whole thing then entered via OSFMount in the synaboot img file under grub and created the stick with balena ether. This was booted via legacy and gets an address - I can call the installer, here I tested it with the latest DSM 6.2 version (the pat was always uploaded manually) DSM_DS3615xs_24922.pat and with the oldest DSM_DS3615xs_23739.pat.

Now my real problem comes - no matter which version I use - the system does not start afterwards. I always blink the famous cursor (_ _ _). For example, when I connect the SSDs to another system, I see that 2 partitions have been created, a 2.4GB and a 2GB - that is, he could write to the disks. When booting, however, he obviously no longer finds the devices.
In the boot sequence in the BIOS I can select the SSDs or the RAID controller in general (individual VDs logically not) - "No Proper Boot Device detected" appears on the SSDs. When the RAID disks are selected, the flashing cursor (_ _ _)

I took the "Jun’s Loader v1.03b DS3615xs" as a loader. Would you have a tip for me where my mistake is?

Sincerely yours

Zomi

Sorry, unfortunately I was no longer able to edit my old post because it was probably too long ago - hence the double post.
Played around a bit more, maybe that helps narrow down the problem.

loader 203b DS3617xs - loader starts up, is found, hard disks are displayed, if I select a pat, however, it always comes that the file could not be uploaded and is probably damaged. No matter whether 6.2, 6.2.1 or 6.2.2.
loader 102b DS3615xs does not get an ip - cannot be found in the network

loader 104b 918+ - loader starts up, is found, 6 hard disks are also displayed (?) if I select a pat, however, it always comes that the file could not be uploaded and is probably damaged. No matter whether 6.2, 6.2.1 or 6.2.2.

Sincerely yours

Zomi

Edited by zomikron

@bearcat

Thanks for your input!
So far thought the bootloader installed on each of the hard drives after the initial installation, something learned again - thanks.

Just tried it again with the loader "Jun’s Loader v1.03b DS3615xs" and 6.2.2 (DSM_DS3615xs_24922.pat). I find the hard drives again - can press Install, the 10 minutes count down and then unfortunately nothing works again.
In the BIOS, the boot sequence is fixed on the USB stick (legacy, of course I leave the stick now plugged in). Shortly after the 10 minute countdown begins, the device restarts and returns to the Loader start screen - is that normal?

After it didn't work with 6.2.2, I wanted to try again with 6.2 - but first I had to reformat the loader stick, it had never found hard drives before. Stick formatted - booted, 6.2 installed (DSM_DS3615xs_23739.pat) - restart - see there system is available! Then in my adolescence recklessness - the update to the 24922 was carried out directly via the control panel - the system only starts up again in "installation mode" and reports that no hard drives were found.

What am I doing wrong now?

Best wishes
Zomi