XPEnology Community

Xpenolgy install on Dell R210 Help.

Mikeyboy2007

Hi guys, im new to the forum. i have done a few installs on some HP N40L + N54L and also a Acer H340, im now trying to install on a Dell R210 1U Rack server, can anyone point me in the way of a useful tutorial as im unsure what tutorial to follow for this one as i think i need to install additional drivers etc but never done that before.

i think the additional drivers i need to put in the bootloader is the I/O Controller which is the Intel ICH10R and also the dual ethernet ports Broadcom NetXtreme 5709, im also unsure if i need the Raid Drivers.

thanks

Edited by Mikeyboy2007

One tutorial, don't reinvent the wheel. The install should be the same.  ICH10R is an ACPI-compliant controller, so no special treatment required.  Do you also have a RAID controller on the system?  Many of those don't work or need to be flashed to "IT" mode which basically defeats their RAID configuration.  Again, pretty standard stuff.

1.02b loader and DS3615xs DSM 6.1.7 should work with no changes out of the box.

1.03b loader and DS3615xs DSM 6.2.2 will work if you add an Intel NIC or the extra.lzma to support the Broadcom NICs.

2 hours ago, Mikeyboy2007 said:

Im unsure if it has Raid, im just using the sata ports on the motherboard and as its a server i assumed it was Raid.

If you are using the motherboard sata ports I think it's not raid. If I'm not wrong the raid was a pci card.

Its the injecting of the drivers im unsure how to do as i would need to do this for the broadcom drivers for the Ethernets to work.

Can you @flyride tell us exactly what files to copy?

If I'm not wrong we have to replace some files on 2on partition of the usb. Is this?

The bootloader:

Case 2: fresh install with 6.2.2 or "migration" (aka upgrade) from 6.0/6.1
Pretty much the normal way as described in the tutorial for installing 6.x (juns loader, osfmount, Win32DiskImager) but in addition to copy the extra.lzma to the 2nd partition of the usb flash drive you need to copy the new kernel of dsm 6.2.2 too so that kernel (booted from usb) and extra.lzma "match"
You can extract the 2 files (zImage and rd.gz) from the DSM *.pat file you download from synology
https://archive.synology.com/download/DSM/release/6.2.2/24922/DSM_DS3615xs_24922.pat
or
https://archive.synology.com/download/DSM/release/6.2.2/24922/DSM_DS3617xs_24922.pat
These are basically zip files so you can extract the two files in question with 7zip (or other programs)
You replace the files on the 2nd partition with the new ones and that's it, install as in the tutorial
In case of a "migration" the dsm installer will detect your former dsm installation and offer you to upgrade (migrate) the installation, usually you will loose plugins, but keep user/shares and network settings

DS3615: extra.lzma for loader 1.03b_mod ds3615 DSM 6.2.2 v0.5_test
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=87576629927396429210

SHA256: BAA019C55B0D4366864DE67E29D45A2F624877726552DA2AD64E4057143DBAF0

DS3617: extra.lzma for loader 1.03b_mod ds3617 DSM 6.2.2 v0.5_test

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=06641076704622277403

SHA256: 4A2922F5181B3DB604262236CE70BA7B1927A829B9C67F53B613F40C85DA9209

Edited by zzgus

2 hours ago, Mikeyboy2007 said:

Im unsure if it has Raid, im just using the sata ports on the motherboard and as its a server i assumed it was Raid. Its the injecting of the drivers im unsure how to do as i would need to do this for the broadcom drivers for the Ethernets to work.

I don't know if you can assume anything, and you need to know how your server works before you do anything else.

ICH10R (Intel chipset) connected ports may have a simple BIOS-accessible RAID 0/1 option which you should turn "off."

However, some server motherboards can have an embedded third-party RAID controller such as an LSI/MegaRAID which would not work well unless flashed to "IT" mode as previously  described.  Embedded controllers may not be flashable so ports connected to those controllers would not be good candidates for XPEnology.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, zzgus said:

Its the injecting of the drivers im unsure how to do as i would need to do this for the broadcom drivers for the Ethernets to work.

Can you @flyride tell us exactly what files to copy?

That information is in the thread you quoted.

6 hours ago, flyride said:

1.02b loader and DS3615xs DSM 6.1.7 should work with no changes out of the box.

1.03b loader and DS3615xs DSM 6.2.2 will work if you add an Intel NIC or the extra.lzma to support the Broadcom NICs.

My first response explained three different options to you. If you pick the third option (1.03b loader, DS3615xs and DSM 6.2.2 without Intel NIC) you will probably need the drivers in extra.lzma. @zzgus just posted the link, you can follow that thread.

• Like 1

@flyride @Mikeyboy2007

My first response explained three different options to you. If you pick the third option (1.03b loader, DS3615xs and DSM 6.2.2 without Intel NIC) you will probably need the drivers in extra.lzma

Added the extra.lzma and zImage and rd.gz without luck.

First bootup without any problem, installed .pat, restarted and didn't appear.

Anything else to try ?

Thankyou
Gus

9 hours ago, flyride said:

It depends on which loader you choose.  1.03b requires BIOS.

I had it well as I was on BIOS.

Anything else I can try ?

I have a question about security... Do some Synology models stay on 6.1.* and do they receive security updates or are all synology models capable to update to 6.2.2?

I don’t know if like for example Apple computers depending on the hardware and how old they are, only can update to certain version of Mac OS.

I would like not to stay in 6.1.* if there are security holes in the OS.

Thankyou @flyride

@Mikeyboy2007 any news??? have you been able to install xpenology???

@Mikeyboy2007

Finally got it running with:

DS3615xs 6.1 Jun's Mod V1.02b.img
- Add VID
- Add PID
- Add serial from web key generator
- Add Real MAC Address

Add extra.lzma (extra3615_v4.8.zip) to second partition of the DS3615xs 6.1 Jun's Mod V1.02b.img and overwrite extra.lzma.

Use DSM_DS3615xs_15284.pat to install DSM.

@flyride

Now I have to find how to install 6.2.2

I will try another time:

Do 6.2.2 extra.lzma include "Broadcom BCM5716C" drivers?
Where can I get this info?

Thankyou
Gus

Edited by zzgus

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Mikeyboy2007 said:

Sorry. Been busy recently. I will try what you suggested tomorrow. When you say add real mac do you mean ad the macs from both NIC as there is 2 on these servers ?

I only put 1 mac, the one I use.

Joan