XPEnology Community

NEW DSM 5.1-5004 AVAILABLE !!

The GPL states that you need to release the source code to everyone if you distribute your software in any way.

If they won't comply you can bet your ass you can get help from the Free Software Foundation. Almost all of DSM is built on linux and that's fully GPL.

The only issue is that only the copyright holders can legally take action against Synology.

There is a reason they don't distribute DSM with their Video Station and Photo Station, and that's because it's not allowed according to the GPL. You have to download those separately.

See https://www.gnu.org/licenses/quick-guide-gplv3.html for more information on the matter.

I'm guessing the software uses multiple versions of the GPL so it varies per package.

Any tried the new upgrades yet?

5.1-5004.2

It's an upgrade, so as long as there isn't a way to get the V5.1-5004 up and running it won't be possible to install the U2...

It would seem that 5.1 update 2 can actually be installed onto a system running DSM5.x according to this German --> English translation snippet from the page linked to by martva:

To install version 5.1 must be present at least version 5.0. This update can be installed on the NAS models ending in 10 or higher, which is an improvement, because for the first edition of DSM 5.1 was still at least a model requires ending at 11. In version 5.1 we take include several improvements regarding to the safety device. There is a security advisor who warns you about unsafe settings and allows the Application Armor kernel security module now default. In Update 2 is a bug in the security advisor.

Fixed Issues

Fixed an issue That Could cause a false alarm Security Advisor after upgrading to DSM 5.1-5004 Update 1

Seems to be netherlandish not german but:

To install version 5.1 must be present at least version 5.0. This update can be installed on the NAS models ending in 10 or higher, which is an improvement, because for the first edition of DSM 5.1 was still at least a model requires ending at 11.

just says that now it is possible to install DSM5.1 on a DS*10 and higher. Before the update it was only possible to install on a DS*11 or higher.

Seems to be netherlandish not german but:

To install version 5.1 must be present at least version 5.0. This update can be installed on the NAS models ending in 10 or higher, which is an improvement, because for the first edition of DSM 5.1 was still at least a model requires ending at 11.

just says that now it is possible to install DSM5.1 on a DS*10 and higher. Before the update it was only possible to install on a DS*11 or higher.

So how do you get DSM 5.1 update 2 onto a DS*10? You MUST surely be able to go DSM5.0 --> DSM5.1 update2, as the above seems to state that DSM5.1 (update1) would not install onto a DS*10, so you would not be able go DSM5.0 --> DSM5.1 --> DSM5.1 update2 on a DS*10 ?

Here the response from synology (just arrived today):

Dear Mr. Waugh,

Thank you for contacting us!

Our developers assured me that the new versions will be added as soon as possible and asked for a little patience. The toolchains should be uploaded in the next week.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / With best regards

Henning Wenzel

Technical Support Engineer

Here the response from synology (just arrived today):

Dear Mr. Waugh,

Thank you for contacting us!

Our developers assured me that the new versions will be added as soon as possible and asked for a little patience. The toolchains should be uploaded in the next week.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / With best regards

Henning Wenzel

Technical Support Engineer

AH! That's great news! Thanks for keeping us up to date jagwaugh. I guess we just need to be patient...

Phil,

Not meaning to sound snarky at all, but the fact of asking the question means they won't do anything for you. The tool chain is the source code from which synology builds the linux kernel with DSM built in. Now that they have released it it is possible to see what they have changed between DSM5 and DSM5.1, and with that knowledge figure out what was going wrong with 5.1 on xpenology. Once the problem is clear we/someone can build a new xpenology boot image which will allow us to run DSM51 on xpenology.

Clear?

Andrew

I'm going to be trying to rebuild the NanoBoot Boot Image using the new 5.1 toolchain in the hopes of not having to modify the kernel or anything. I've been reviewing the guide at http://xpenology.com/wiki/en/building_xpenology, but I am a little confused by the Synobios Modification section. Can anyone suggest a tool to use which would give me similar output to the guide? I think there might have been some massive changes to the synobios.ko file.

Edit: Sorry, I'm a dummy. Just realized that this question has already been asked in the HowTo Guide Thread for Building Kernel: http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=515

Edit2: Even more detailed information on modding synobios.ko on this page of the above thread: http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=515&start=30

First Image is created, doing tests tonight (lets keep our fingers crossed :geek:

Anyone know if the 5.1 PAT file on xpenology.nl has been patched already? It looks like its the same as the PAT from Synology's website. The SetMicropId() function has changed quite a bit since 5.0, probably need some new patches.

.pat Files has not been patched. The previous versions aren't patched either. This is done, if needed, through the boot image.

For the source files from Sancome (Nanoboot) see:

https://github.com/sancome/DSM-5.0-4458_dsgpl-4418

and for some instructions:

http://nanoboot.eu.org/source