XPEnology Community

NEW DSM 5.1-5004 AVAILABLE !!

init: Unable to mount /dev filesystem: No such device"

In other words, there is no volume available.

I think we need Sancome (nanoboot) and other experienced users to have a look and try to fix this and troubleshoot the problems that arise from testing. I'm willing to help but my Linux skills are somewhat outdated and not sufficient to address the problem.

I think spectre verified the above... :grin:

@Sancome. Would be happy to donate for the solution...

I think this one needs a little work let's all take a step back and see if Synology will fix the issues. As far as I can tell real Diskstations are having major issues. I own a 713+ and I'm not going near this one till I see some fixes in the forums! See http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewforum.php?f=250 for issues being reported. I own a bricked 209+ that was a victim of a buggy update (ie. 4.2-3246) when I called Synology they tried to help me but after about 15 min. they suggested I buy a new one. I did buy the new 713+ but I also got my HP N54L and found Xpenology.com. :grin: Having both is nice because I can be good and bad at the same time!

Hi Poechi,

The problem is that at boot they excist but at some point they are renamed to hda, check the /dev. I once wrote a script to create a symlink ....

But they are deleted every time :wink:

If the sda is in /dev all is good, everything works, but after some time they are deleted ... I guess by some dev daemon :sad:

Cheers Louis

Responding to what some are saying about mounting existing volumes. Can't you use putty or terminal and some command line tools from linux. example "mdadm --examine --scan" to find out volume info. Then maybe something like this for typical Raid not Synology Raid "mdadm --assemble --force --no-degraded /dev/md0 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1". This would work as long as you can find original mount point then something like "mount /dev/md0 /mnt/raid" to mount it? Come on one of you Linux geeks chime in here and bail me out. :geek:

@civilmann

Tried several options .... but still only volume 1 will be available...

The other volumes can be mounted but are not available in the DSM

The only option is to have a boot script which well reassamble the raid's then activate the volume groups and remount the logical volume.

Also to use these other volumes you will first have to create the shared folders on volume1.

Then you'll have to create the folder on, let say, volume2 and remove the folder on volume1 .. then create a symbolic links from volume1 to the folder on volume2.

Or you might use a mount --bind to do it (or from fstab)

Alot of problems to get it to run ... and an upgrade will probably kill it all :wink:

btw on a clean install i couldn't get it to work yet .....

cheers Louis

example of script:

mdadm --assemble --force --no-degrade /dev/md3 /dev/hdd3 /dev/hde3 # vg1

mdadm --assemble --force --no-degrade /dev/md2 /dev/hdc3 # vg1000

vgchange -a y vg1

vgchange -a y vg1000

cp /root/fstab /etc/fstab

mount -a

example of my test systems fstab :

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/root / ext4 defaults 1 1

/dev/vg1000/lv /volume1 ext4 usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0,synoacl 0 0

/dev/vg1/volume2 /volume2 ext4 usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0,synoacl 0 0

/volume2/test /volume1/test bind defaults,bind 0 0 # this is the "linked" shared folder

The weird thing is, the volume (i.e. md2) is there. If you boot with a recovery cd (eg Ubuntu) you can assemble the raid and the files are all still there (I installed 5.0 & populated the volume with some files etc before trying 5.1). To me this means that the partitions and superblocks are all ok. I wonder if the problem is related to the "unable to mount /dev" message during boot - if /dev isn't there in time then how can the kernel populate it at boot?

Andrew

I am totally new to Synology/Xpenology so please be gentle on me...

Currently I'm on 5.0-4493 Update 7

Given all the reported problems from some people here should I upgrade to 5.1?

If so - what is the method of upgrading (given that it's a major version)?

Sorry, I only know how to update a minor version...

A link to a step by step guide will be highly appreciated!

Hi yud - put simply, no. Don't touch 5.1 yet, there are various issues with it that the great minds here are still figuring out :smile:

You can always keep an eye on the status table at the bottom of the page (above the comments) on xpenology.nl to see the overall status of a release:

http://www.xpenology.nl/synology-released-dsm-5-1-5004/

Welcome to xpenology :smile: