XPEnology Community

Migration HDD between synology and xpenology

Ygg

Hi there. I have a DS415play and not statisfied with Videostation. So i am thinking to build a dyi with an core i5 so i can use plex. At the moment i have 3 x WD6tb RED in SHR. Normal case scenario migration is possible between synology devices but is it possible to Xpenology ? Thanks!

It is possible, but to make sure that your DIY build is fully supported, you should test it first with spare temp drive before moving your working disks from DS415Play.

Is there a guide on how to do this? If I just put my "old" /volume1 into the xpenology box and run nanoboot, it will simply erase it, yes? How exactly do you preserve the data on the old volumes?

Thanks for your answer. I assume if the hardware works with another (test) HDD I assume migration option will be vissible withing synology assistant whe4n i connect my array? As describbed in https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledg ... orials/484 ?

Correct. Test the hardware and if successful, try migration option. Many How-to's are available here for major version upgrades. Its the same procedure, just follow it. Stop if you don't see disks as migratable. You should also be presented with choice install/upgrade and preserve data (select this default) or erase everything (don't select).