XPEnology Community

Changing to N54L

GAPP

I have a ReadyNAS Ultra 2 at the moment, and wish to change to N54L. I currently have two 3TB RED's installed with RAID0.

Can I buy 2x 3 TB RED's more and insert them together with the other ones, or do I need to completely swipe everything alltogether, and start fresh? I would like like to keep all the data somehow. :smile:

I have a ReadyNAS Ultra 2 at the moment, and wish to change to N54L. I currently have two 3TB RED's installed with RAID0.

Can I buy 2x 3 TB RED's more and insert them together with the other ones, or do I need to completely swipe everything alltogether, and start fresh? I would like like to keep all the data somehow. :smile:

ReadyNAS has different partition layout than Synology and direct migration will not work. You best bet would be to setup N54L with only two new drives first, then transfer your data to new NAS and finally remove two older drives from ReadyNAS, clean them up and add them to your new N54L expanding its volume to all four disks.

ReadyNAS has different partition layout than Synology and direct migration will not work. You best bet would be to setup N54L with only two new drives first, then transfer your data to new NAS and finally remove two older drives from ReadyNAS, clean them up and add them to your new N54L expanding its volume to all four disks.

Alright, that sounds like the best bet. I always heard, that you should never just install partial HDD's, but install everything together, but that doesnt matter I guess? :smile:

Alright, that sounds like the best bet. I always heard, that you should never just install partial HDD's, but install everything together, but that doesnt matter I guess? :smile:

For the typical RAID that is easier to install all the drives first, but Synology SHR RAID and drive/volume manager makes it very easy to expand or reconfigure RAID, although it may take a long time (many hours).

If you value your data, don't use RAID0. Go straight with SHR, which will be RAID1 (Mirror) for two disks and later changed to RAID5 for 3+ disks automatically. Performance on N54L will be more than enough with SHR (RAID5) to fully saturate your 1Gb links.

For the typical RAID that is easier to install all the drives first, but Synology SHR RAID and drive/volume manager makes it very easy to expand or reconfigure RAID, although it may take a long time (many hours).

If you value your data, don't use RAID0. Go straight with SHR, which will be RAID1 (Mirror) for two disks and later changed to RAID5 for 3+ disks automatically. Performance on N54L will be more than enough with SHR (RAID5) to fully saturate your 1Gb links.

As things are now, I only use the NAS for media server for clients all over the house. My point is, that if one of the disks break down, I can just replace it, and it's not the end of the world, as I can just download the media again. That being said, everyone recommends not using RAID0, even though I can't use 100% of the diskspace. Is the performance difference drastic in any way, and how much space would the SHR take up off 4x 3 TB RED's.

As things are now, I only use the NAS for media server for clients all over the house. My point is, that if one of the disks break down, I can just replace it, and it's not the end of the world, as I can just download the media again. That being said, everyone recommends not using RAID0, even though I can't use 100% of the diskspace. Is the performance difference drastic in any way, and how much space would the SHR take up off 4x 3 TB RED's.

You will not see the performance difference, in the contrary, your performance will be better with XPEnology on N54L.

4 x 3TB disks in the RAID5 configuration will give you about 9TB usable space and one disk will provide parity (redundancy) for protection.