XPEnology Community

ASRock N3700-ITX M-ITX Intel N3700 Braswell 2DDR3 Motherboard

einsteinagogo

Question

Realtek RTL8111GR

Time to build a new NAS on custom hardware, because I need many disks....8+, 10+ - I've got the case.

I've seen references that this has been used with 6.1 loader, has it successfully been used for 6.2, (6.2.2), before I pull the trigger and order it.

Does anyone have a NAS running on a ASRock N3700 on 6.2.2 ?

8 answers to this question

Excuse-me but how do you plan to install 10+ disks on a motherboard with 4 internal Sata ports and only one pci-e x1 slot? You'll get 8 at best with a 4xsata card (like SYBA SI-PEX40064) but at reduced speed due to slow pci-e slot ... First thing first, search for this nic model through the forum to know if it works with 6.2.2. And I'm not even sure the RTL8111GR is a future proof choice, if not, you won't even have a second pci-e slot to install a working Intel Nic.

I suppose you can buy this motherboard for cheap but I'm not sure it's a good choice, I too had one of those Asrock motherboards with integrated cpu, but there's no room for expansions and I now think it's dangerous when used for an xpenology rig. My two cents.

Edited by pmchan

8 hours ago, pmchan said:

Excuse-me but how do you plan to install 10+ disks on a motherboard with 4 internal Sata ports and only one pci-e x1 slot? You'll get 8 at best with a 4xsata card (like SYBA SI-PEX40064) but at reduced speed due to slow pci-e slot ... First thing first, search for this nic model through the forum to know if it works with 6.2.2. And I'm not even sure the RTL8111GR is a future proof choice, if not, you won't even have a second pci-e slot to install a working Intel Nic.

I suppose you can buy this motherboard for cheap but I'm not sure it's a good choice, I too had one of those Asrock motherboards with integrated cpu, but there's no room for expansions and I now think it's dangerous when used for an xpenology rig. My two cents.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I'm not on this mobo. It's for shits and giggles. The case will accomodate 12 3.5" and 2 x SSD disks.

I did look through the forums, and didn't find much on 6.2.2.

But I have enough info now, to reverse engineer solutions.

Going forward requirements are specific.

1. 10GBe NICs (2)

2. Processor to support Plex (transcoding) maybe if this is going to  be used to store media! There is a question there.

3.Support for lots of disks, may require onboard and additional controller support.

The case is future proofed, and supports ITX and Micro ATX.

Choice in the future maybe the Supermicro.

(as for ASRock N3700, I will post feedback for any other wanting a cheap solution!)

This is a record, just in case anyone else wants to Search the forums...

Just a follow-up of what fun I'm having with a 

all working well with Jun's Loader DS3615xs 6.1 Jun's Mod V1.02b as expected.

Now adding SATA controllers was an issue...

WORKS! - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AZ9T3OU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Marvel - 9215 - Syba SI-PEX40064

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AZ9T41M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(does not work - Marvel 9235 - Syba SI-PEX40062 )

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0828FY1B2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(does not work - Marvel 9215)

On 3/5/2020 at 5:02 AM, einsteinagogo said:

Does anyone have a NAS running on a ASRock N3700 on 6.2.2 ?

Yes, I do. Latest dsm version using 8 disks. One annoying thing I cannot get working with this board is the beep from Synology to let you know a disc failed. Its got a speaker header and I added a small MB speaker and it will make sound, just not from Synology. 

2020-04-13_14h38_31.png

On 4/21/2020 at 10:15 AM, einsteinagogo said:

which loader are you using - version ? 1.03b for DS3515xs ?

For N3700-ITX its best to use the new DS918+ image. You will have better compatibility, and it will use 4 cores instead of 2. Its noticeably faster. 

Use the 1.04b with 6.2.3 for DS918+ and you will see that it works perfectly. I haven't got the system beep to work. yet.  I installed a speaker on the SPEAKER header on the MB and I can get it to make noise, just not through xpenology. It appears to be missing a driver from my experience. 

1794727486_ScreenShot2020-04-24at11_24_06AM.png.5abd32860cc724241e7927c857e2c8b6.png

Okay, I was just curious, I tried the other evening, and although it booted with 1.04b, and the same 6.2.2 pat as you, it failed to initialise the Ethernet interface.

No problems, was just curious, I've going to archive this mobo!!!!

Because I've just got two new mobos, for custom NAS, which work with DS918+ 1.04b, and 6.2.2 Update 5, not tried the new 6.2.3-25423///

Have you tried PLEX, and the h/w encoding ?

Edited by einsteinagogo