XPEnology Community

New microserver gen 10 plus

Goliator

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, I can confirm a successful install of DSM 6.2 on a new HPE Proliant MicroServer Gen 10 Plus (configuration P16006-421 with the Xeon E-2224 processor and 16Gb RAM).

I have used Jun's loader 1.04b for the DS918+ model and I must say it was pretty straight forward! Now even running DSM 6.2.3-25426 without issues.

The hardest part was making a bootable USB stick on my Mac (I have no Windows machine). If you don't want to manually type commands in Terminal and risk erasing your harddrive (!) you can use this free OSX app to transfer the synoboot.img onto your USB device: http://www.keka.io

In my particular case, I found myself stuck with a bricked Synology DS415+ and really needed to recover some of my files from the 4 Synology Hybrid Raid-formatted disks. The unit died because of a well-documented Intel Atom C2000 flaw in the chip on the motherboard (Google 'the horror' yourself if you like). After unsuccessfully trying to fix it, I decided to give xpenology a go because I really did not want to invest in any more bad hardware from Synology (but I do love their OS and apps).

The MicroServer automatically booted from the USB loader in one of the front USB ports, the new diskstation was recognized in my network, I installed the latest DSM from Synology (6.2.3, that was actually a bit of a gamble), shut the server down, put the 4 drives into the MicroServer and after a reboot Synology asked for permission to migrate systems (DS415+ to DS918+). It all went very smooth and I must say I now have a Synology on steroids. The performance of Plex Media Player for example has improved so much! No more waiting or choppy transcoding, this thing just flies! I now enjoy the benefits of a great Synology interface running on reliable HP hardware. I currently only use it as a file server (12Tb in raid gives me 9Tb) and for media streaming (a VPN on the Synology hides the torrent activity). So far so good...

After all of this I did disable auto-update of DSM and yes, I did manage to offload and save all my valuable data from the disks.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Been on Xpeno forum before and had a account that seems lost but I'm back.

Have a old HP StorageWorks Data Vault X510 that served well with Xpenoology. Had plans for a true Syno with 4 to 6 HDD's and was hoping that the latest would be worth the $$$ but seeing prices/performance on the new DS1520 that also seem to have 4GB memory soldered to main board as all other xx20's... My HP MSG10+ was cheaper and that with 4C Xeon, 16GB ECC and 4 intel 1Gb nic's. And It can be upgraded!

Btw, got my HPE Proliant MicroServer Gen 10+ (P16006-421) before it was officially released, guess my dealer fubar it because there it was when I searched the store. It was ment to be my "storage and more like a VM or docker or two" in my home lab and the old X510 Xpenology just for backup. I thought that Unraid would bee my choice but it has been a joy to test all kind of systems ( Confirmed working ) but Xpeno wasn't here in the list. So I made some tests I'll share with you and guess I'll stay with Xpenology on my HPE MSG10+. Want a smooth system with a trusted BTRFS and Unraid didn't give me that feeling. Had a long experience of Synology systems for backup storage at work that had just worked.

First try;

Loader version and type :  1.04b with DS918+

DSM version in use (including critical update):  Clean install of DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 2

Hardware details:  HPE Proliant MicroServer Gen 10+ (P16006-421) + dedicated ilo5 card + 1 old WD Red 3TB ERFX

Details: UEFI bios active and ilo card also connected without problem

Only 2 out of 4 nic detected

Second try:

Loader version and type :  1.03b with DS3617XS+

DSM version in use (including critical update):  Clean install of DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 2

Hardware details:  HPE Proliant MicroServer Gen 10+ (P16006-421) + dedicated ilo5 card  + 1 old WD Red 3TB ERFX

Details: Legacy bios active and ilo card installed but not connected to network. Could been some hiccup in my network.

All 4 nic's detected

And to summarize, performance is much better with 1.03b with DS3617XS+ on the HPE MSG10+. Don't ask me why but simpel tasks take less than half the time.

Edited by Pson
  • Like 1

👍

Will see if I believe it's worth the work. Would be nice to try out the 4.4 kernel a bit but I have no need for any of the features with the newer kernel.

For now I'm just so impressed of the performance with 3617 installed. 

• 1 month later...

Was trying to run unRaid on my new Microserver 10 Plus but kept hanging - I have two Synologys but wanted to try something different and that wasnt really a "hack".  Just installed the 918+ version and was simple - now going to let it run for a bit to see if I have any crashing (rule out a hardware problem) but otherwise its quick and better than my 918+ and 1019+.   Who needs the DS1621xs+ when we have this

On 10/16/2020 at 10:11 AM, flyride said:

Still having no luck - tried applying the patch but nothing.   not sure if I need to wipe my drives and start over?   Using the 918+ image.   Its just getting the update 2 for now that isn't working.  Wondering if I should even bother with fiddling as well

It's not a patch, it is a script that has to be installed and run on every boot.  Its purpose is to make the synoboot device present when missing from your system (which you reported).

That said, I don't know why you were "struggling to mount synoboot disk through ssh to update to the newest DSM"

There is no need to mount synoboot prior to update; in fact if you do it probably will fail.

It might be helpful if you explain in a little more detail what you are doing and how.

On 10/16/2020 at 4:46 AM, cdnboy said:

Very new to this and struggling to mount synoboot disk through ssh to update to the newest DSM:

root@RubberSoul:/dev# mount -t vfat synoboot2 /tmp/MountMe/
mount: special device synoboot2 does not exist

2 minutes ago, flyride said:

It's not a patch, it is a script that has to be installed and run on every boot.  Its purpose is to make the synoboot device present when missing from your system (which you reported).

That said, I don't know why you were "struggling to mount synoboot disk through ssh to update to the newest DSM"

There is no need to mount synoboot prior to update; in fact if you do it probably will fail.

It might be helpful if you explain in a little more detail what you are doing and how.

Sorry, I am getting the image is corrupt when it goes to apply the latest DSM.   sorry for my wording on patch vs script.   The script is in the etc/rc.d folder with the right permissions and I have rebooted a few times.    Not of the synoboot folders show under /dev which apparently will cause the upgrades not to go.   I do not see the USB drives as shares or anything in the GUI so they do not appear to be mounted of anything.   At this point I am just trying to install 6.2.3-25436 Update 2. 

Did you receive Error 21? (reporting this sort of detail makes diagnosis somewhat easier)

Ok, that makes more sense.  Most upgrades do require the availability of synoboot so that the upgrade can modify the loader, so that is quite possibly the issue and you are trying to do to the right thing to resolve it.  That said, it would seem that you have not successfully installed FixSynoboot.sh.

Double-check the installation directions.  You must install in /usr/local/etc/rc.d, not /etc/rc.d

You should be able to run the script manually in this way (must be root):

/usr/local/etc/rc.d # ./FixSynoboot.sh

Then validate that the synoboot devices appear

# ls /dev/synoboot*

4 minutes ago, flyride said:

Did you receive Error 21? (reporting this sort of detail makes diagnosis somewhat easier)

Ok, that makes more sense.  Most upgrades do require the availability of synoboot so that the upgrade can modify the loader, so that is quite possibly the issue and you are trying to do to the right thing to resolve it.  That said, it would seem that you have not successfully installed FixSynoboot.sh.

Double-check the installation directions.  You must install in /usr/local/etc/rc.d, not /etc/rc.d

You should be able to run the script manually in this way (must be root):

/usr/local/etc/rc.d # ./FixSynoboot.sh

Then validate that the synoboot devices appear

# ls /dev/synoboot*

Doesn't give an error on the window that I see - just "Failed to upload the file. The file is probably corrupt"

I had actually tried running the script earlier before one of the reboots - I thought I had correct - 

root@RubberSoul:/usr/local/etc/rc.d# cd /usr/local/etc/rc.d/

root@RubberSoul:/usr/local/etc/rc.d# ./FixSynoboot.sh

root@RubberSoul:/usr/local/etc/rc.d# ls /dev/synoboot*

ls: cannot access /dev/synoboot*: No such file or directory

I did vi the file and there is script in there - I quit without saving

Hmm well the script is not working.  Someone posted some trouble with newline conversion due to how they downloaded the script.

You might try this:

# tr -d '\r' < FixSynoboot.sh > FixSynoboot.new

# mv FixSynoboot.new FixSynoboot.sh

Then try and run manually again.

Edited by flyride

3 minutes ago, flyride said:

Hmm well the script is not working.  Someone posted some trouble with newline conversion due to how they downloaded the script.

You might try this:

# tr -d '\r' < FixSynoboot.sh > FixSynoboot.new

# mv FixSynoboot.new FixSynoboot.sh

Then try and run manually again.

Nope - I even tried to download again

I download using safari on my Mac - upload using the DSM to a share and copy over to the /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ folder 

Just tried with chrome and the same thing - 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Guys, I finally buy the Gen10+ with Xeon processor ! I was able to perform xpenology install with the 918+ loader and latest DMS version 6.2.3.

Everything is OK but i have a question with the CPU. Using cat /proc/cpuinfo, it's showing only 1 cpu cores :

root@NAS:/tmp/cpu# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 158
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) E-2224 CPU @ 3.40GHz
stepping        : 10
microcode       : 0xca
cpu MHz         : 3407.879
cache size      : 8192 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 1
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 1
apicid          : 0
initial apicid  : 0
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 22
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 sdbg fma cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm abm 3dnowprefetch epb invpcid_single intel_pt ssbd ibrs ibpb stibp tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase tsc_adjust bmi1 hle avx2 smep bmi2 erms invpcid rtm mpx rdseed adx smap clflushopt xsaveopt xsavec xgetbv1 dtherm ida arat pln pts hwp hwp_notify hwp_act_window hwp_epp md_clear flush_l1d
bugs            : cpu_meltdown spectre_v1 spectre_v2 spec_store_bypass l1tf mds swapgs
bogomips        : 6815.75
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes   : 39 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

Can someone check on his gen10+ ? can this affect performance ? is there something i can do ?

1 hour ago, sebg35 said:

is there something i can do ?

try loader 1.03b 3617? (csm mode in bios needed and also booting from the non uefi usb device)

has a different kernel and you can't use the intelhardware transcoding with the g10+ (bios prevents it even when the cpu has the features)

• Like 1

il y a 54 minutes, IG-88 a dit :

try loader 1.03b 3617? (csm mode in bios needed and also booting from the non uefi usb device)

has a different kernel and you can't use the intelhardware transcoding with the g10+ (bios prevents it even when the cpu has the features)

Many Thanks, i tried with 3617 and i can confirm that now i have 4 core :

root@NAS:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep 'processor\|name\|cores'
processor       : 0
cpu cores       : 4
processor       : 1
processor       : 2
processor       : 3

So it means that 918+ on gen10+ only used 1 core ? or this is only cosmetic ?

• Like 1

I remember one other instance where someone was reporting 1 system thread.  The /proc/cpuinfo is not cosmetic, it's what the system sees.  So there may be an issue with the newest processors and these old Linux kernels.

You actually should have 8 threads active as system threads are mapped to hyperthreading.  Check and make sure HT is enabled in your system BIOS.

EDIT: the E-2224 is apparently a 4-core no HT CPU (since when do any Xeons NOT have hyperthreading?) so 4 threads in DSM is correct

Edited by flyride

Il y a 8 heures, flyride a dit :

I remember one other instance where someone was reporting 1 system thread.  The /proc/cpuinfo is not cosmetic, it's what the system sees.  So there may be an issue with the newest processors and these old Linux kernels.

You actually should have 8 threads active as system threads are mapped to hyperthreading.  Check and make sure HT is enabled in your system BIOS.

Hello  i remember that one guy on this topic with this server said that the 3617xs version is much more powerfull than the 918+.

HT is not enable under the bios as it seems not supported by the cpu when looking at CPU datasheet.

I am surprised that nobody with gen10+ mention that issue.

So for the 3617xs version that i used, is there anything i need to do, or it seems to be normal now ?

Edited by sebg35

16 hours ago, flyride said:

So there may be an issue with the newest processors and these old Linux kernels.

odd thing is that kernel 4.4.59 of 918+ is newer then 3.10.105 of 3615/17

i guess did remember the same case (was a HPE too afair, ml110?)

as we cant change the kernel settings the only option is to user 3617 or try tweaking the bios settings

edit: its not entirely tru, there are kernel settings that can be done on boot inside the grub.cfg, so thats also a option

Edited by IG-88

• 1 month later...

I made the switch to the 3617xs version based on the latest thread updates.   Had no issue with the 918+ and never checked the CPU cores.   Now I have 4 and back running. Had some issues with the switch but all to do with the bonded links and static addresses - notes to self for next time and switching stuff to a simple base.   

Thank you for pointing out and hope I can get full performance out of the box