XPEnology Community

Hardware crashed, will data still be available?

esemuhdeoh

Hello,

I ran a xpenology-system for about 4 years (HP Microserver n54l, 10 GB Ram, Raid 0), but yesterday the hardware vaporized 😥

If I now buy a original Synology and put in the disks, will the data still be available? I was thinking about an original since I don't need the BIG hardware anymore

Best regards

esemuhdeoh

42 minutes ago, jensmander said:

I think that‘s not necessary when using RAID0 😉

Thanks for the info :)

I don't use any of the RAID solutions though, just paranoia

If in any case I need parity I'll just replicate the whole shared folder in two different basic volumes...

I know that's a dumb way to do it but it just feels more like eggs in different baskets to me

• 1 year later...

Pull out the hard drive from your computer and install it as a second drive on a different machine. The disc that was named C will now appear as disc D. You must possess some computer literacy for such a procedure but it’s not going to take much time to google all the necessary information. This way, you will confirm you’re data is safe. If it’s not, there are options for hdd data recovery. You can ship the hard drive to professionals that will get the data back to you.

Edited by ScottHatley

On 3/3/2020 at 2:54 AM, esemuhdeoh said:

Hello,

I ran a xpenology-system for about 4 years (HP Microserver n54l, 10 GB Ram, Raid 0), but yesterday the hardware vaporized 😥

If I now buy a original Synology and put in the disks, will the data still be available? I was thinking about an original since I don't need the BIG hardware anymore

Best regards

esemuhdeoh

My adventures in swapping from xpenolgy to real synology (not that xpenology is not real)

Ran DS918+ at 6.2.3.xx with Hybrid(SHR) RAID on a j3455-itx mobo. I had 2x4TB 2.5" HDD effectively a RAID 1 configuration due to only 2 HDD.

I bought a DS720+ and took drive 1 from old system and plugged it into slot 1 of 720+. At this point the 720+ was bone stock (2GB of memory and no cache).

The system booted and straight up asked if I wanted to migrate from the 918+ at 6.2.3 to 7.0.1. Yep.

Once it is up it tells me degraded system due to bad HDD (the missing #2 HDD) I install a 14TB EXOS Seagate and let the rebuild begin.

Rebuild complete, power down and add 8GB of crucial memory and 2xNVMe 500Gb to cache slots and reboot. checkout system. Shutdown again.

Remove 4TB HDD and replace with another 14TB EXOS and rebuild again. I now have 2x14TB, still Hybrid(SHR)

Everything is working as expected. All packages are there, settings, everything.

Since that effort in early January I have added a DX517 plus another 14TB. At this point I can't add to that pool as I only have 1 drive protection but I have 4 more slots to build other pools etc. Quite happy so far but it is not an inexpensive process.

right now I still have 2 of the original HDD set aside for another experiment.

Good Luck

MF

Edited by manfriday
tweak notes

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/20/2022 at 4:26 PM, IG-88 said:

i'm sure synologyis happy to hear that ;-)

No Doubt but Synology wont get that satisfaction again. The initial excitement of a new toy is over, overall i'm too thrilled with my choices. I prefer to roll my own but waiting for an easier path to v7 via XP got the better of me. Lesson learned.

24 minutes ago, manfriday said:

I prefer to roll my own but waiting for an easier path to v7 via XP got the better of me. Lesson learned.

syno's hardware is usually reliable but not beefy or meant to be extended with pcie cards (at least the lower consumer tier)

qnap was at least better in case of extending the hardware but on closer look there are hardware limits like low count of pcie lanes in extension slots (thats usually because of the chipset in the cheaper units just does not have more lanes) - having nvme and 10G nic with just one or two pcie lanes and sharing them will nor result in a great performance (compared to what the theory of nvme and 10G imply), if its pcie 2.0 as in apollo- and geminilake then even two lanes will not do that much when looking for maxing out 10G with the help of nvme cache/volume

looking into the hardware in use will usually help to know whats to expect, can take some time to find out but its with the effort as 6+ slot nas gets usually more expansive