XPEnology Community

volume gone + volume crash ... HELP !

cooledspirit

I had a volume with 8 disks, 2 of them being redundant. 2 disks crashed. When I replace them, I notice that 2 other disks (worst luck ever) have problems with the system partition, meaning that the volume crashed. Raah... I never expected 4 disks to fail at once ! :cry: Luckily, I was able to get those 2 disks back to life using Seatools from Seagate, which means there were some bad sectors, but the Seagate tool reallocated them.

To recover the system partition, I installed 4493 using Synology assistant, which succeeded.

All disks are now reported as being "healthy". However, my volume is gone now. Synology sees that 6 disks contain data and that 2 are "initialised", but I don't see any volume to repair or to add those 2 replaced disks to.

Running vgdisplay turns up nothing.

In DSM I see that the CPU is up to 99 % (I wonder what it is doing).

What can I do ? Can the volume be (safely) rebuilt ? I'd really hate to lose my data...

Many thanks in advance for your time and help.

Update: I ran e2fsck -v -f -y /dev/md2 to make sure.

I notice that my volume is available (apart from the 2 replaced disks), it is only degraded. However, DSM does not "see" the volume.

the mount is available in /etc/fstab. However, mdadm.conf seems to be missing. Could that be causing it ?

What can I do to make DSM see the volume again and allow me to repair the volume by adding my new disks ?

Cooled.