XPEnology Community

XPEnology as iscsi iniciator ?

Rado

Question

4 answers to this question

In a typical server to support iSCSI you will need (i)PXE I guess, then you will have a virtualized drive in BIOS. Then you could operate with the iSCSI target transparently without much intervention from DSM.

Not sure if installing the extra firmware will make it work with the iSCSI disk though.

If you're running XPE in a virtual environment, the easiest thing to do is to use the hypervisor to mount the remote iSCSI storage and present a virtual disk to the guest.  On bare metal, a NIC with the right iSCSI offload functionality that will present as an HBA to the OS would work as well in theory, provided the driver is supported by XPE.

I don't think there is a way to consume external network storage in the UI.

You might be able to manually set up an initiator from the command line, then format and mount similar to the NVMe strategy of spoofing in a volume.  You'd need a script to reinitialize it on each boot and I think it would have a high likelihood of breaking.

But you should be able to NFS mount into an active share via command line, and that could easily be scripted to start at boot with no stability concerns.