XPEnology Community

advices required

Hackaro

Hi all, 

I'm a newbie, I read the FAQ on hardware but not found anything specific.

I'd like to have some advice on the best hw configuration as I'm starting from scratch. What "best" means to me? 
I'd like to have a NAS with 8 or more HDDs (at least 4 ports on mb, I can use both ITX or M-ATX) and a NVMe/SSD as cache would be nice. A future upgrade to 10GbE would be nice too. And I need enough power to transcode 4K with Plex srv. 

I hope this is the right subforum for this kind of Q. Thanks in advance to everybody who'll answer. 

Have a nice day! 🙂

Basically any Intel system newer than Haswell plus an Intel NIC would give u a safe result, although I would really really wanna try Ryzen, I need to use VMM in the NAS and AMD systems wouldn't work with Synology's VMM, what a pity

I personally use Pentium G5400 on an OEM B365 itx board with dual Intel i211 NIC, 6 onboard SATA, 1x m.2 nvme slot

However, as I read before the nvme support on xpenology may be tricky, and one nvme slot could only give me read cache instead of read/write cache in my DS918+ system, plus I wouldn't want to SSH mount the nvme drive as it doesn't give me a safe feeling about the data on it. Therefore I'd just ditch the nvme drives. Aggregated 2x GbE still can't saturate a normal SATA SSD anyway.

Currently the PCIe x16 slot is empty because my itx chassis doesn't have a PCIe slot, but if in the future I have access to a 10GbE maybe I'll just get something like a mining card extender etc to slot in the card externally lol

So, for your case, it is good to know you are not limited to mITX like me, getting a full size 24x24cm mATX board will give u 4 PCIe card slots to expand your build, may it be network cards or RAID cards, or even server nvme SSDs.

I'd recommend a H310/B365/H370 board plus an Intel Pentium G5400/i3 8100 or something equivalent, the performance of G5400 will be between the original syno DS3615xs and DS3617xs. And you'll also get H.265 hardware transcoding for 8th Gen CPUs.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PerkyUnicorn said:

Basically any Intel system newer than Haswell plus an Intel NIC would give u a safe result, although I would really really wanna try Ryzen, I need to use VMM in the NAS and AMD systems wouldn't work with Synology's VMM, what a pity

I personally use Pentium G5400 on an OEM B365 itx board with dual Intel i211 NIC, 6 onboard SATA, 1x m.2 nvme slot

However, as I read before the nvme support on xpenology may be tricky, and one nvme slot could only give me read cache instead of read/write cache in my DS918+ system, plus I wouldn't want to SSH mount the nvme drive as it doesn't give me a safe feeling about the data on it. Therefore I'd just ditch the nvme drives. Aggregated 2x GbE still can't saturate a normal SATA SSD anyway.

Currently the PCIe x16 slot is empty because my itx chassis doesn't have a PCIe slot, but if in the future I have access to a 10GbE maybe I'll just get something like a mining card extender etc to slot in the card externally lol

So, for your case, it is good to know you are not limited to mITX like me, getting a full size 24x24cm mATX board will give u 4 PCIe card slots to expand your build, may it be network cards or RAID cards, or even server nvme SSDs.

I'd recommend a H310/B365/H370 board plus an Intel Pentium G5400/i3 8100 or something equivalent, the performance of G5400 will be between the original syno DS3615xs and DS3617xs. And you'll also get H.265 hardware transcoding for 8th Gen CPUs.

Thank so much! Just a couple of questions:

1) i3 8th series is fine but 9th is still compatible or not?

2) If I buy a Syno 10GbE card, will this be compatible OOB?

3) which SATA controller PCIe cards are the best for compatibility? let's say 4 or 8 ports would be fine. 

have a nice day! 

2 hours ago, Hackaro said:

Thank so much! Just a couple of questions:

1) i3 8th series is fine but 9th is still compatible or not?

2) If I buy a Syno 10GbE card, will this be compatible OOB?

3) which SATA controller PCIe cards are the best for compatibility? let's say 4 or 8 ports would be fine. 

have a nice day! 

1) Not sure about 9th gen, coz I've never thought of using anything higher than my pentium G5400 at this moment, I'd rather save electricity lol

A NAS is supposed to be idle most of the time... Too much CPU power is useless in my use case

however, the CPU itself should work, just the internal graphics card might not give you flawless hardware transcoding without driver mods

2) Not sure, not even sure if the card is compatible with non-syno boards

maybe you should look up the official synology list: https://www.synology.com/en-global/compatibility?search_by=category&category=network_interface_cards&p=1

3) I can only make sure ASMedia ASM1061 (2ports) and Marvell 88SE9215 (4-ports) work with DSM as I used them now and before, many others might work as long as they support AHCI

P.S. the ds918+ loader has a limit on the number of SATA drives, be careful when doing so.

• Like 1