XPEnology Community

new install but nothing

PTBERRU

HI  there:

Please forgive any questions that appear simplistic.

IF this post belongs in a different Forum could you point me to it before deleting mine from this forum??

Hardware:

MSI-Z77MA-G45  Intel I5-3570k  purchased used without any install cd   MB, CPU and memory config POSTS. .

Three SSDs installed, a 120gb (intel) and two (2) 240GB Crucial

MB has integrated realtek ethernet port and integrated graphics.

Purpose of installing Xpenology:   I have an aging DS1812+ running latest DSM  6.2.x which I believe is the latest DSM that the DS1812+ will update to.  I have 24TB on that server and it works great.  HOWEVER I notice that the CPU is simply not powerful enough to run all the DSM compatible packages that I want to run, such as a VPN Client, media server (emby), security software, office tools, web page serving, mail, etc.   SO my hope is that I can create a more powerful XPEnology/DSM that will do all the crunching while it connects to the DS1812+ and allows that unit to do only the file serving for several Win 10 machines. 

To date I have created a bootloader utilizing Jun's Synoboot 103b for DSM 6.2a nd done so with all three paltforms 918,3615,3617

3617 (103b) partially boots and comes to the "happy hacking"  "your screen will update shortly...."  Then NOTHING (all night long)

I used Grub cfg file, edited it for vid, pid, serial number, mac address.  Used Rufus to create USB.

Please realize I do not wish to be a nuisance here because of my lack of techincal ability regarding LINUX base solutions  here so my first thought is to do this:

Go through the headache of getting my new old MSI-Z77MA-G45 up and running with  either Win10 or Ubuntu (or a diff linux shell) or both on USB sticks and run  the machine from one of those to make sure all drivers and MB updates are applied that Juns loader would rely upon while running on the msi-z77ma-g45. 

In light of the fact I wish to do as much myself from research, links to other forums or other websites are most welcome, if indeed they address the question asked.

1) given what I want to do, what version of Jun's loader is best suited for my needs ? GIVEN that my DS1812+ is going to be stuck at 6.2x should I go with Juns 6.1x and live without the perks of  DSM 6.2 on the machine that utilizes the many of the DSM applications. 

2) IF I left 6.2x on my DS1812+ and went with a version of Jun's loader for DSM 6.1x would there be any issues with the two units talking to each other.

3)  I am very familiar with Microsh_t Win 10 so is that a better choice than ubuntu???  (I installed ubuntu successfully on an AMD machine a few years ago but it took some pain.I'm used to the pain)

Any suggestions about where to do research,  given my MB and CPU and what it is I am trying to accomplish.

THANK ANYONE for taking a moment, if possible, in order to point me where I need to look or to answer my questions.  IF anyone has a simpler solutions(not involving boocoup $) to accomplish my needs I am open.  This is my first Intel MB.  I have extra MBs lying around supporting higher wattage AMD, AM3, AM+ CPUs but I at hoping to migrate to the more efficient Intel CPUs as they wane in price on the used market..

PS: Trust me if I were not living on a SS check I would be buying a new improved Synology Disk station with the HP needed.  "If wishes were horses, beggar could ride"

Edited by PTBERRU

If your goal is just to build up an app server, DSM is not the best platform for this.  All the "DSM compatible packages" you refer to in the original post are available via Docker.

A Linux server (Ubuntu is fine, other distros too) combined with Docker to virtualize your app suite would be very functional.  Look into something like Portainer to help with UI management of the Docker environment to reduce the Linux learning curve.

Regardless of whether you run apps in DSM (via XPEnology or otherwise) or Docker on Linux, you will need to NFS mount the shares hosted on your DS1812+ to get to your data.  This functionality is not platform/version specific and works with any combination of DSM version or Linux flavor.

Edited by flyride

Your Motherboard has a Realtek 8111E NIC which should work with 1.04b 918+ loader, however 1.04b loader seems to only work with Haswell or above.

It still worth trying coz I had J1900 running the 918+ 1.04b loader which J1900 was also pre-haswell

Good luck fine tuning here and there

P.S. If, by any chance you have a spare Intel NIC on your hand, it should gain you better success rate with the 3615/3617 loaders as they natively support the intel e1000e cards up to DSM 6.2.2