XPEnology Community

Differences XPenology vs gnoBoot vs NanoBoot

LeaderGL

Essentially they are all versions of Xpenology or fork projects offering slightly different methods. The main difference is the driver support afalk.

There are three main flavours:

Trantors build which are the files linked at the head of the forum which only covers the 4.x DSM he has been too busy with other things to create a 5.x build.

GenoBoot Afaik this project isn't currently being actively supported. You would need to go to the project forum to find out what the current status is. The older versions support DSM 4.x through to 5.x. Some drivers supported by GenoBoot aren't available in Trantor or Nano - having said that you would need to check what the latest drivers situation is for these projects as the situation changes from time to time. There is a thread somewhere that lists some of the supported hardware.

NanoBoot Seems to be the most actively supported project with a good range of drivers and supports the latest DSM releases 5.x and 5.1 beta.

At the present time NanoBoot is the project that most people install as it offers the latest and most secure version of the DSM.

I don't know much about custom hardware builds I use a couple of HP N40L microservers.

You would really need to search the forum for the components you have to see if people have reported them as working or not.

You could try these threads as a starting point...

Supported Hardware

This thread is pretty recent so should give some up to date info.

Drivers requests / Beta8 (4.3-3827)

This thread is old and Trantor hasn't been as active of late. Afaik most of the drivers supported in Trantor's build are supported in NanoBoot.

If you have a spare hard drive you could just take the plunge and install the latest NanoBoot and see if your hardware works OK or not. That would probably be the quickest way to find out what works and what doesn't. You can't break anything so there's no harm in getting stuck in you could strike lucky and everything comes to life. All you will lose is some time and you may learn something from your efforts.

I don't know much about custom hardware builds I use a couple of HP N40L microservers.

You would really need to search the forum for the components you have to see if people have reported them as working or not.

You could try these threads as a starting point...

Supported Hardware

This thread is pretty recent so should give some up to date info.

Drivers requests / Beta8 (4.3-3827)

This thread is old and Trantor hasn't been as active of late. Afaik most of the drivers supported in Trantor's build are supported in NanoBoot.

If you have a spare hard drive you could just take the plunge and install the latest NanoBoot and see if your hardware works OK or not. That would probably be the quickest way to find out what works and what doesn't. You can't break anything so there's no harm in getting stuck in you could strike lucky and everything comes to life. All you will lose is some time and you may learn something from your efforts.

The biggest drawback is the lack of design nanobot access to its sources, only sacom can compile the kernel, we can only build modules if not require changes to the configurations is the kernel :sad:

With the rest of you are right

Thank you.

I've succesfully installed Nanoboot 5.0.3.2 and the latest DSM 5.0.4528. It seems to work right but when Nanoboot start i see two or three [FAIL] in the boot sequence.

I suppose that the FAIL regards drivers for peripherals that i haven't (like E1000).

There is a way (a shell cmd) to see all bootstrap failure? This way i can ask for new kernel drivers.

P.S. I've and Asrock AM1H-ITX mainboard (with AMD AM1 platform and the Athlon 5350 cpu)