XPEnology Community

motherboard with 6 or more sata

She

Hello

I would like to built a nas with xpenology on a fractal design node 304 and i would like to know, if there is a trouble free and not pricey motherboard, that support 6 Sata, or more sata.

Node 304 can hold 6x 3,5'' hard drives but i don't know if i can mount more drives with a nexus double twin, or any other way.

Do i also need to check if there is any compatibility issues for the cpu, power supply (psu) and memory that i should use?

or any cpu, psu and memory is compatible with xpenology?

thanks in advance!

I am planning a build with very similar parts

Fractal Design Node 304

Asus 87I- Plus

Intel Core i5-4430 3.0GHz

Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600

SeaSonic 360W 80+ Gold Certified ATX

4X Western Digital Red 2TB

Anyone familiar with Xpenology, please let me know if you see any issues with this build and Xpenology compatibility. OP good luck with your build, seems we are on the same page here.

show my signature :wink:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/FM2A85X-ITX

7 natives SATA3 and I added a PCI expansion card to add an eighth disc :wink:

Your built is wonderful!

Is it also silent?

Silent, more or less, I'll change fans later because today my NAS is in a bay that isn't in my main room;) But I moved in december and may be I'll sleep with my NAS ^^

• 1 month later...

i didn't find any of the above motherboards available.

the fractal design node 304 http://www.fractal-design.com/home/prod ... -304-black

supports mini-ITX (170 x 170 mm) and the bigger mini-DTX (203 x 170 mm or 8 x 6,7 inches)

could you please recommend me some motherboards that supports:

1) xpenology usb3 and wake on Lan (optional)

2) with 6 or more SATA and 1 eSATA (optional)

3) mini-ITX or mini-DTX (203 x 170 mm or 8 x 6,7 inches)

4) doesn't cost a fortune.. supports cheap cpu and not an i3, i5 etc

thanks

MSI A88XM-E45

Thanks!!!

Do you know that will work with XPEnology?

What about usb3 and wake on LAN?

Does it have an embedded graphic card or I must buy a CPU with embedded gpu?

Sorry for the lame questions.

I'd stick with Intel board for compatibility. I use the Asus Maximus Gene VI which has 8 SATA3 ports built in. Make sure the 6+ ports on your board are all full SATA3. The reason I went up to micro-ATX form is because of that.

No graphic card needed, fast, and stable. It also has plenty of USB 3 ports, supports WOL.

I'd stick with Intel board for compatibility. I use the Asus Maximus Gene VI which has 8 SATA3 ports built in. Make sure the 6+ ports on your board are all full SATA3. The reason I went up to micro-ATX form is because of that.

No graphic card needed, fast, and stable. It also has plenty of USB 3 ports, supports WOL.

Thanks!

Intel based motherboards (the asus Maximus costs as one hp n54l) are expensive and if I go these route, I prefer to buy a 4bay synology from the j series, or a hp n54l, cause I don't need the extra power..

I would like to built something that doesn't cost more than an hp microserver n54l..

Let me know what you choose in the end. Actual costs will always be more than theoretical price. There are also laws of physics involved. Better to have a system that does twice the power running half the potential rather than max out a minimum viable product. All I know is that my 10+ HDD Bay build costs half than the 8-bay Synology DS1815 (actual shipped price).

• 2 weeks later...