XPEnology Community

Accidental DSM 6.1.7-15284 to 6.2.2-24922 on ESXI 6.7U3

unmesh

I've had a DSM 6.1.7-15284 VM running on Jun's 1.02b loader for a while and a DSM 6.2.2-24922 running for a shorter while on Jun's 1.03b loader. Each VM uses a different RDM hard disk.

Earlier today, I accidentally hit update on the GUI for the first one when it offered to upgrade to 6.2.2-24922 and it (obviously!) won't boot correctly. So I replaced the loader in the VM with a suitably configured 1.03b, chose the ESXi option in the console, but it still won't boot DSM.

I have the serial port on the VM configured to map to a network port which displays "mount failed" and nothing else

Is it possible to recover the installation?

Thanks.

did you compare the VM config's? there might be differences

settings that where working with 6.1 but might be needed to change for 6.2

also 6.2.2 usually needs recompiled drivers but if you have it running without that on one machine i guess that is not really needed if the 2nd (old 6.1) is configured the same way

you might use the working boot image from the 6.2.2 machine, mod serial and mac in grub.cfg and use it for the other (old 6.1), that might rule out loader problems?

Thanks, IG-88

I took a close look at the working VM and realized that I needed to make changes to things like NIC type etc. In the end, I essentially cloned both the VM and the boot image file and made the necessary changes to get it up and running as a distinct DSM instances.