XPEnology Community

supermicro x10sdv-4c-tln2f boot issue

whatever000

HI guys,

I received a Supermicro x10sdv-4c-tln2f for free and would like to use Xpenology on it. I am using ds3617xs loader because both use similar CPU (D1521 vs D1527). But once the bootloader printed the "... find.synology.com ... " I wasn't able to find it on the network. What should I do? I know people has success with the board using ESXi, but I rather run bare metal. I did the following 

1. update pid/vid, sn, mac1 and mac2 in grub.cfg

2. change in BIOS to Legacy boot

Serial-over-Lan show me nothing regard the console output. I also use the same procedure and tried ds3615xs. same thing. Please let me know how I should proceed. Thanks

Hi, and welcome :-)

1 - When talking about bootloaders, it is important to specify *what* bootloader you are talking about ;-)

2 - As above, it is important to specify exact what version/build of DSM you are trying to get working..

3 - By the symtoms you describe, you are most likely not having a valid driver for you nic, with the tested combo of 1 and 2.

4 - Identify the dual 10GbE nic, and you might find the needed combo of 1,2 and drivers.

btw: you might want to stay with the 3615, as the 3617 has been known to cause problems.

thanks and sorry @bearcat

2 hours ago, bearcat said:

Hi, and welcome :-)

1 - When talking about bootloaders, it is important to specify *what* bootloader you are talking about ;-)

Jun loader 1.03b for ds3617xs 

2 - As above, it is important to specify exact what version/build of DSM you are trying to get working..

I am trying to use DSM 6.2.2. More specifically, https://archive.synology.com/download/DSM/release/6.2.2/24922/DSM_DS3617xs_24922.pat. I tried also tried ds3617xs extra.lzma from this thread 

3 - By the symtoms you describe, you are most likely not having a valid driver for you nic, with the tested combo of 1 and 2.

What would be a reasonable/working combo? I think the nic are X557-AT2

4 - Identify the dual 10GbE nic, and you might find the needed combo of 1,2 and drivers.

btw: you might want to stay with the 3615, as the 3617 has been known to cause problems.

I have also tried 3615, same thing. Does 3615 loader have ixgbe?

Edwin

16 hours ago, whatever000 said:

have also tried 3615, same thing. Does 3615 loader have ixgbe?

the 0.5 extra does

did you also copy the new zImage and rd.gz?

beside activating CSM legacy mode in bios and a reboot did you also choose the right boot device, the usb might show up 2x as uefi and 1x as legacy

maybe try loader 1.04b 918+ with 0.8_recovery extra/extra2

that loader supports legacy and uefi

Edited by IG-88
  • Like 1

thanks @IG-88. In my first attempt on the 1.03b loader, I didn't. I just use whatever the loader has. On my 2nd attempt, when I tried the test 0.5 extra.lzma, I did copy rd.gz and zImage from https://archive.synology.com/download/DSM/release/6.2.2/24922/DSM_DS3617xs_24922.pat into the 2nd partition as given in 

In terms of boot device, it only has the legacy ones. I am going to 1.04b 918+ with the extra/extra2 and will report back. BTW, since 918+ use a newer cpu than the one I have on my board, would that cause me trouble? And when?

Does xpenlogy support USB serial? Really want to see what's going on in the console

4 minutes ago, whatever000 said:

use a newer cpu than the one I have on my board, would that cause me trouble? And when?

no, not with 0.8_recovery and with 3615/17 its no problem at all

you can try 0.8_std if you want, if its not working you can just copy the files from recovery to usb and try again

5 minutes ago, whatever000 said:

Does xpenlogy support USB serial? Really want to see what's going on in the console

no, you need to have real serial port, the usb2serial is for the computer with the terminal in case that one has no com port or you want a more flexible handling like connecting to a fron usb port

you supermicro x10sdv-4c-tln2f does have a com port, you just need a matching cable and a bracket, can be found an amazon or ebay

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-1U-Rackmount-LCD-Console/dp/B001Y1F0HW/

@IG-88 so I have tried 918+ with your extra.lzma and extra2.lzma, but no luck. I think the best thing is to get serial cable and see what happen. It could have been my bios setting. So one more question. If I use ds3617xs 1.03b would I still be able to do trancoding? As it was mentioned, in your extra.lzma post, if I use 918+ recovery, I wouldn't be able to transcode, just curious if ds3617xs will still let me do it. Thanks a lot

6 hours ago, whatever000 said:

so I have tried 918+ with your extra.lzma and extra2.lzma, but no luck. I think the best thing is to get serial cable and see what happen. It could have been my bios setting

your cpu should be able to boot with it and it supports bios and uefi so bios should be not be the problem

can you disable the onboard 10G lan and add a different nic for testing?

7 hours ago, whatever000 said:

If I use ds3617xs 1.03b would I still be able to do trancoding?

no

7 hours ago, whatever000 said:

it was mentioned, in your extra.lzma post, if I use 918+ recovery, I wouldn't be able to transcode,

step by step, 1st find out the reason why its not visible in network, your braswell cpu is kind of exotic and untested for the 0.8 driver pack, recovery is the safe choice when trying out things, i915 driver problems will be no reason that way, you need to reduce possible problems to find out whats wrong (at least when not having serial connection to monitor the boot process)

So @IG-88 I am a little embarrass to say this. But I think the problem is between the keyboard and the chair. It turns out I plugged xpenology into an old switch which I didn't own. It didn't support 1Gbps AND X557 didn't seem to support 100MBps. So once I fixed that. I was able to boot up and install 918+ without any problem.

So about picking which DS3617xs vs DS918+ loader and the potential implication. which one should I really pick? It seems like from your comment and also the table in

I wouldn't have transcode either way. So what is the advantage picking one over the other? is UEFI important?

I am going to see if I have a chance to install ds3617xs and see if it work and reported back. Thank you @IG-88 for your help

• Like 1

I guess what I concerned about is if i use a DSM version designed for a CPU newer than what I have, there may be chance that the system will crash due to unsupported instructions. I don't know if it makes sense. Just want to make my system will be stable for daily usage. And avoid stuff that has high risk. Thanks in advance. 

your Xeon D-1521 CPU does not support intel quicksync video so no hardware transcoding when using 918+

if you plan to make use of the M.2 nvme slot then 918+ is your choice, all other aspect are not important and you could always "migrate" be swapping loader and installing the other type

918+ uses a newer kernel 4.4.59 (instead of 3.10.105 for 3615/17) but atm that does not make i difference when it comes to additional drivers

1 hour ago, whatever000 said:

I guess what I concerned about is if i use a DSM version designed for a CPU newer than what I have, there may be chance that the system will crash due to unsupported instructions.

the only case that comes to mind is the 918+ not booting with older cpu's

• Like 1

ic, when I look at the different between the cpu used in 918+ (apollolake) and ds3617xs (broardwell). It seems that apollolake has some new SHA instructions. everything else stays the same. Not sure how likely those instruction will be used. I guess I should be safe. And knowing that I can switch between the two is good. Thanks once again. @IG-88. You have been a great help!!